Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dreamhost vs. Site5

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with site5 and dreamhost.
    Also, if I do use up all or almost all of the transfer that they provide, how likely is it that I would get suspended?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php will help you a bit more. Look for reviews on them.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

It's very likely you get suspended when using even 5% of the given resources. Welcome to overselling.
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by amfr
    I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with site5 and dreamhost.
    Also, if I do use up all or almost all of the transfer that they provide, how likely is it that I would get suspended?
    If you really are going to use that much, I suggest to search for a dedicated server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

If you find a way to use that much without causing load problems on a server, chances are they won't care how much you use. At least, that's the legal side of things. You'd have to be careful at the eventual extra data transfer charges though.

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela
    Welcome to overselling.
    Wow.. only took three posts to bring up this idiotic topic.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    If you find a way to use that much without causing load problems on a server, chances are they won't care how much you use. At least, that's the legal side of things. You'd have to be careful at the eventual extra data transfer charges though.
    The primary resources that you would have to be concerned with are CPU and Memory usage with either host (not so much disk space and bandwidth). Typically, large web hosting companies such as the two you have mentioned have more than enough bandwidth to back their offerings – this is because the vast majority of websites on the internet, and websites that they host, only use less than 1GB of bandwidth per month. If you happen to be one of the few that can literally push that much traffic, they’d allow it – assuming of course that you don’t bog down the entire server in the process. For example, if you have a purely static website and are somehow pushing hundreds+ GB of bandwidth per month, and you are NOT consuming a high % of the server’s CPU, they will probably allow it. However, if you are running a MySQL intensive website and you are devouring server resources they (and any other host) will shut you down at a certain point regardless of how much bandwidth you have or haven’t used.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Diaz
    The primary resources that you would have to be concerned with are CPU and Memory usage with either host (not so much disk space and bandwidth). Typically, large web hosting companies such as the two you have mentioned have more than enough bandwidth to back their offerings – this is because the vast majority of websites on the internet, and websites that they host, only use less than 1GB of bandwidth per month. If you happen to be one of the few that can literally push that much traffic, they’d allow it – assuming of course that you don’t bog down the entire server in the process. For example, if you have a purely static website and are somehow pushing hundreds+ GB of bandwidth per month, and you are NOT consuming a high % of the server’s CPU, they will probably allow it. However, if you are running a MySQL intensive website and you are devouring server resources they (and any other host) will shut you down at a certain point regardless of how much bandwidth you have or haven’t used.
    This post should be stickied.

I know about overselling (I used to run my own host), I was just wondering how much reources you would need to get suspeneded on one of these accounts.
    Also, has anyone had any experiences with hostdepartment.com?
    I just talked to a tech there who assured me that there were no space/transfer/cpu/ram limitations at all.

there are many reviews about hostdepartment.com on this forum, I suggest you to search about them before take any decision.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

has anyone had any experiences with hostdepartment.com?
    I just talked to a tech there who assured me that there were no space/transfer/cpu/ram limitations at all.
    at first glace of their website.. unlimited bandwidth and storage for 3.95/mo?..
    i offer high bandwidth and storage for low price but this is just silly, there is absolutly no way they can offer this.. completely over selling.

I would recommend you listen to people with actual experience with those two hosts, not the 'theorists' that believe that 'overselling' is necessarily bad. You know who "oversells"? The insurance industry does... by that I mean that there are many businesses built on the premise that not every customer will use the full service every month, think of health insurance. The important thing to you as a customer is not "overselling", but "overusing" by your neighbors. The ones who complain about 'overselling' are those in the hosting industry, the providers that populate this forum, but as a customer going into an 'oversold' host is not necessarily bad --- it could be great actually, if your neighbors don't use that much, then perhaps you can get away with more. I currently have a shared account where I run a vBulletin forum with 800,000 hits per day, 150 users connected at the same time, and I pay $9.95 a month for it... with 'unlimited' bandwidth. So don't listen to the chorus that constantly sings the "you need a dedicated server for that". That's what they sell, servers. But you are a user, it's important to realize that here at WHT there are two very different kind of members, those selling hosting and those shopping for hosting... take advice from your fellow hosting buyers, not the sellers who are scared of the likes of DreamHost, Site5, Mosso, MediaTemple and so on. They know they will eventually disappear, 99% of them will.

My experience with Dreamhost has been AWESOME, I have used about 800GB for months and only recently they 'throttled' my account because of my heavy traffic. But to put things in perspective, DH put up with my sites for months whereas MediaTemple's "grid" and Mosso "clustered hosting system" would not. So Dreamhost is for real, they give you what they promise and they tolerance for resource usage is remarkable.
    Last edited by Cripto; 12-19-2006 at 09:53 PM.

I know about overselling (I used to run my own host), I was just wondering how much reources you would need to get suspeneded on one of these accounts.
    Both hosts have specific guidelines for how much/many resources you can use:

Site5: https://help.site5.com/index.php?_m=...kbarticleid=83

DreamHost: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/CPU_minutes

If you have a specific question, you should probably contact the company (either one) directly.

Good luck!

there is absolutly no way they can offer this.. completely over selling.
    I found odd this statement from somebody who offer 15 GB of space and 300 GB of bandwidth for $4.95.

What I would do is just put that "search" link to work for you. All 3 companies that you've asked about has PLENTY of current as well as past feedback from various end users.
    Threads like this can go on for dayssssssss because they all tend to go off topic.
    Good Luck
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I found odd this statement from somebody who offer 15 GB of space and 300 GB of bandwidth for $4.95.
    If you have a bad review of my site saying that accounts get closed or I am not providing what I am offering then please share them,

but I can assure you I am not overselling in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Yeah I would agree with that statement. That is clearly an oversold plan.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    So purchase an account, 30 day money back guarantee.. so upload 15gb and use the 300gb transfer.. you will see its not overselling..

so unless you have people with proof i'm overselling I suggest you keep malicious comments to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    I Agree as well.

lol you can all agree to what you want, however rumor is not fact, all im going to say on the subject im not going to argue with people I have better things to do with my time.

It's very likely you get suspended when using even 5% of the given resources. Welcome to overselling.
    I do use DreamHost and used 100GB (5% of 2TB) is a few days, without any problem.
    What's the domains you are using with DreamHost and site5?

If you have a bad review of my site saying that accounts get closed or I am not providing what I am offering then please share them
    Sorry, I don't see the relationship between getting a bad review and have clearly oversold plans. But, I don't want to hijack this thread.

You get what you pay for. There alot of good hosts on webhostingtalk. I use asmallorange. They don't oversell and there are the best host i have ever been with.

Quote Originally Posted by InfoH
    So purchase an account, 30 day money back guarantee.. so upload 15gb and use the 300gb transfer.. you will see its not overselling..
    Definition of overselling is not whether you will be able to provide when ONE customer has used his/her allocation, but when ALL your customers have used their maximum allocated space and data transfer, at the same time.

Not ther "overselling" itself is a dirty word...

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ylsy
    Definition of overselling is not whether you will be able to provide when ONE customer has used his/her allocation, but when ALL your customers have used their maximum allocated space and data transfer, at the same time.

Not ther "overselling" itself is a dirty word...

Scott
    and we have 46 servers to ensure this is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by InfoH
    and we have 46 servers to ensure this is possible...
    This thread is *really* not supposed to be about “InfoSecureHosting” and whether or not they are overselling. This entire page is essentially off-topic, and should ideally be cleaned up by a mod, or split off into its own thread.

Either way, get back ontopic and stop bickering about InfoSecureHosting. If you don’t like their business model, for whatever the reason, contact them privately, or start a new thread.

Yes he is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by spechackers
    Yes he is correct.
    No he isn't.

They honestly don't care how much space or bandwidth you are using; they have more than enough to go around and supply the customers with the bandwidth if they need it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, they only care if you are abusing server resources (meaning CPU%, RAM, etc.) as per the policies that I posted.

With DreamHost you can even spend more than 1000 Gb's a month (I've seen some) IF your site isn't intensive on cpu / apache, which means that only a download or maybe a video site could do that. If it's script intensive, no way...
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

* Dreamhost, maybe a crapshoot?

I've heard mixed reviews about Dreamhost. I was considering going with them at various times because they've been around for how long, about ten years now? More? Seemed like everybody and their dog was using Dreambooks back in the '90s when Angelfire offered 2mb disk space. I like the idea of tons of wiggle room and they won't clip me for having adult content or "satanic materials" (that last one showing up more and more on secular webhosts has me headscratching--- but that's another whole post altogether).

Some folks seem to be real happy with them, others have had support gripes or have had their sites suspended though they didn't come anywhere near the 2TB (whaa?) limit. Others have had billing issues. Or downtime of doom. I'm thinking probably read the forums at dreamhost, their blog, take a peek at dreamhost-sucks.com and judge for yourself. Couple people I know signed up for Dreamhost recently and are happy so far but I want to see how they feel six months from now. Their space/bandwidth on shared hosting still has me going "what??"

I haven't heard much about site5 in awhile. I just looked now. What the??? Besides the 55gb/5tb $5 Deal making me go "whaa?", their pricing scale is kind of odd. $120 for two years but $50 for a month?

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba
    having adult content or "satanic materials" (that last one showing up more and more on secular webhosts has me headscratching--- but that's another whole post altogether).
    With all of the things that already can go wrong, why risk it and have "the devil" on your server?

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba
    I haven't heard much about site5 in awhile. I just looked now. What the??? Besides the 55gb/5tb $5 Deal making me go "whaa?", their pricing scale is kind of odd. $120 for two years but $50 for a month?
    Seems to me like it is a last-ditch effort at generating positive cash flow. I'm not sure how they account for 1-2 year prepayments, but there's no doubt they get the cash now to buy a lot of stuff.

10,000 accounts x $120 = $1,200,000 in cash. That'll buy a lot of servers, bandwidth, etc.

DreamHost say they host 360,000 domains with them, so of course there will be some unhappy customers. Let me tell you what I dislike:

- no fopen , so some scripts won't work

- slower sql than most good webhosts

But I'm with them for a while, and I renew on a year basis. It's great for having lots of static sites, or for download my products.
    Contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate7

True about fopen, but cURL is enabled and an alternative. Also, it's possible to compile your own php with fopen enabled.

I host 20+ domains at Dreamhost; most using MySQL and some MySQL-intensive. I have the occasional slowness issue, but I wouldn't classify it as "slower [...] than most good webhosts".

I personally couldn't be happier with Dreamhost.

Many webhosts don't have it, many Linux distributions have it disabled in their PHP installation, and I personally don't have them on my own servers.

People do it because they are known to cause security issues.

However with DreamHost, they won't stop you having your own php.ini with allow_url_fopen turned on. You might even find how to do it on their wiki.

Well. I agree with this one. Not just slow SQL, but also slow PHP.

So at the end I don't use DreamHost to host dynamic sites, but use it to host all my static content, so I can save bandwidth on my bandwidth-limited VPSs.

Scott

cURL is activated, but I can't reprogram all the scripts I buy... I even asked the script sellers to see if they could do a cURL version, and they said: No. Next time I'll try using your php.ini tip Thank you

As for the SQL, for now I'm using 6 webhosters (no BS), and DreamHost is the slowest of all running Wordpress :/ It's a pitty because I really like DreamHost
    Contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Diaz
    Both hosts have specific guidelines for how much/many resources you can use:

DreamHost: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/CPU_minutes
    Keep in mind that DreamHost no longer explicitly limits accounts to a specific amount of CPU minutes or resource usage. I've updated the wiki article to reflect the policy change.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelS
    Keep in mind that DreamHost no longer explicitly limits accounts to a specific amount of CPU minutes or resource usage. I've updated the wiki article to reflect the policy change.
    Thats awesome

Thats awesome
    Updating the wiki? Sure! Not taking CPU minutes into consideration? I'm not so sure. I kinda' liked the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonekkt
    I personally couldn't be happier with Dreamhost.
    Hey, I heard you've quit working for the unethical host. Congratulations.

Now, I guess I can say this: thank you for telling me about DreamHost.
    It worked very well as a backup host, and now, it's working pretty well as my primary host.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Updating the wiki? Sure! Not taking CPU minutes into consideration? I'm not so sure. I kinda' liked the idea.
    It's not new. And it has been reported a few times in WHT, I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast