Thread: Pages Stalling

Pages Stalling

I'm streaming short videos (usually under 10mb each) on a dedicated server to maybe about 15-75 people at any given time. Although the videos themselves seem to be streaming okay with a 10mbps port, sometimes you'll click on a link and the page won't completely load. If you refresh, it'll work fine. It's an entry-level configuration and I guess it's time to upgrade, but what should I upgrade to fix the page load problem, and slow page loading in general? It's an AMD XP 2400, 512mb RAM, 10mbps port.

Chicago, IL
    What do your traffic graphs look like - are you maxing out your 10mbps port?
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook:
    zac @ | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

Hey Zac, thanks for the reply. Attached are the graphs for this month so far and last month.

It looks like it's barely hit the maximum a few times this month, but compare it to last month's graph, which hit the max only once, and I still had the problem back then. What do you make of these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thismonth.jpg   lastmonth.jpg  

Are you graphing packet loss to your box?
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dell Dedicated Servers since 1995

I guess not -- these are just the graphs available from Layered Tech.

Could insufficient RAM be a likely cause?

For what it's worth, unless you're seeing slow responce times RAM is probably not the culprit. 1/2 gig does seem small, and upgrading it would not hurt you, but I do not believe it would solve your problem.
    If this is a Linux server:
    vmstat 5 >> /tmp/vmstat.out would store up lots of RAM stats. It would snapshot every five seconds.

Well yeah, slow response times seems to basically be the problem; the pages start to load, and when they stop, I'm still seeing a progress bar like it just hasn't finished yet, the way it does on any other site...except then it doesn't finish at all.

In the Server Status section on Cpanel, can I find anything insightful on this? Memory Usage seems to be at about 50% for every day, CPU Usage is about 20%, 15-30 for MySql. It's also highlighted in red, is it supposed to be? (lol)

yeh like other have said i could only really imagine high load averages or memory causing this. may i suggest you try Cherokee Web Server and see if that makes a difference.