how to find port speed in dedicated server

I have a dedicated server hosted with a provider. They plan says the server is connected to a 100 MEg port, but i am starting to doubt this. How do i check the port speed. IS there any method to find this out. I do have remote desktop access to the server (as admin). Please help by giving me an idea to check the port speed.

What operating system do you have?

In CentOS: ethtool eth0 or mii-tool

In FreeBSD: ifconfig -m
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dell Dedicated Servers since 1995

Remote desktop sounds like Windows... go to control panel and check your network connections, double click on your NIC and see if it says 100.0 Mbps....

Sorry, need coffee.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dell Dedicated Servers since 1995

Using 'ethtool eth0' command in shell should give you something like this:

Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 1
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: g
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
    Link detected: yes

So yeah...you can see what speed you're connected at there.
    http://www.uniballhq.com - Free online multiplayer game

Quote Originally Posted by srskiller
    I have a dedicated server hosted with a provider. They plan says the server is connected to a 100 MEg port, but i am starting to doubt this. How do i check the port speed. IS there any method to find this out. I do have remote desktop access to the server (as admin). Please help by giving me an idea to check the port speed.
    Start --> Settings --> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection. That should pop up the current status and speed.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Yes its a Windows 2003 Operating System.

I thought the NIC properties and network connection settings only show , how quick the network card is capable of working at but , i am trying to find out the real data speed the port is connected to.

Much like , your internet provider says you have a 10 meg connection, but you can only get a 1 meg download using speed tests. I just need a method to find out whether my server is really connected to a 100 meg port.

Quote Originally Posted by srskiller
    Much like , your internet provider says you have a 10 meg connection, but you can only get a 1 meg download using speed tests. I just need a method to find out whether my server is really connected to a 100 meg port.
    Asking your provider about their network is really the only way to determine this. There's no way to accurately identify transit capacity remotely due to the large number of factors involved that affect your throughput rates (link congestion, latency, TCP Windowing, etc).
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."