Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Zonedit nameservers are down

Hi,

Several nameservers from zoneedit.com are down:
    ns2.zoneedit.com, ns3.zoneedit.com, ns17.zoneedit.com

I sent them a mail on suport but I get no answer (other than automatically reply). Does anyone know how to contact them over the phone? I expected more from a DNS hosting company..

At zoneedit.com/status.html show that all servers are operational.
    Try to call +1 (847) 461-1893

Thanks for the phone number. The answering machine told me that no operator is available.

Indeed, on their status page eveything is ok, but if try to interogate a nameserver from console, you get a timeout message:

# dig zoneedit.com @ns3.zoneedit.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> zoneedit.com @ns3.zoneedit.com
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Other servers are responding ok:

# dig zoneedit.com @ns1.zoneedit.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> zoneedit.com @ns1.zoneedit.com
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 61219
    ;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;zoneedit.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    zoneedit.com. 1200 IN A 64.85.73.41

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    zoneedit.com. 1200 IN NS ns1.zoneedit.com.
    zoneedit.com. 1200 IN NS ns2.zoneedit.com.
    zoneedit.com. 1200 IN NS ns12.zoneedit.com.
    zoneedit.com. 1200 IN NS ns3.zoneedit.com.
    zoneedit.com. 1200 IN NS ns4.zoneedit.com.

;; Query time: 165 msec
    ;; SERVER: 207.234.248.200#53(207.234.248.200)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Dec 19 12:02:05 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 137

It seems true.
    One of my domains hosting at ns2.zoneedit.com and ns3.zoneedit.com came unreachtable several hours ago. But some subdomains can be reached without any problem.

This would be better at Providers and Network Outages and Updates Moved

Unbelievable. Ive just recovered from Bliksemhoaxing doing a dissapearing act and now all clients sites on ZoneEdit are down. Oh the joy.

Anyone have any more info on this?

I don't know, but they've been down for more than a few hours now. I've gotten nothing from their support email other than the automated response.

I went ahead and added a non-zoneedit nameserver to the domain I was doing DNS hosting through... just takes awhile to propegate. Also looking at other solutions, both pay and free.

The fact that they haven't updated their network status page in 4 months is not a good sign for this service. In the middle of such a serious outage, they need to keep their customers informed.

Its funny how I have just paid for new zonecredits and a day later they go down.
    I have a serious problem as most of the domains on my VPS are co.za , the south african country level domain name. Their system is archaic. To do an update you have to email a form with the changes eg new nameservers. They then send an email to all the addresses listed on the whois. They then wait a mandatory 24hour period and if there is one confirmation and no refusals to the emails sent, the update is processed. then propagation must still happen.

So just to change nameservers im looking at an absolute minimum of 24-26 hours. Crazy huh?

More than 6 hours has passed and the problem still exists. I got no answer on my ticket and noone to talk on the phone. I thought at least they will solve the problem in this morning..

lucky me, most my domains are hosted on ns2 AND ns17 Down for me as well.

Finally got an email response:

Response (Grace A) - 12/19/2006 07:21 AM
    Dear Sir,

I apologize for any inconvenience this has brought to you.

We are already working on these servers. Our engineers are diligently working to resolve the problems. We should have the issue resolved shortly.

If you require greater reliability than two servers can offer, we recommend that you purchase a third, or even a fourth nameserver. The cost of this service is minimal (only $10.95 for a year per extra nameserver), but the value you receive is huge. Each extra nameserver you add increases the reliability by 10 times.

You can click on the link "Purchase an Extra Backup Nameserver" on the nameservers page on the ZoneEdit web site to take advantage of the extra reliabity we can offer you.

----------------
    Ironically, recognizing that the problem was with the two nameservers I had hosted with them, I did buy a third this morning. That didn't do anything to resolve the problem.

Nice.

Sounds like its a cunning plan to make us all spend more money...

Sounds like its a cunning plan to make us all spend more money...
    Hurting their own brand for a few more sales doesn't sound like "cunning" to me.

Their email doesn't sound as good as it could though. I would have preferred some details regarding the problem they have, not just "we're working on it".

yeah i know i was just being fed-up. Everything is going wrong.

Their status page was updated:
    http://www.zoneedit.com/status.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We are currently experiencing issues with NS2.ZONEEDIT.COM, NS3.ZONEEDIT.COM, NS6.ZONEEDIT.COM, and NS17.ZONEEDIT.COM. We are aware of the situation and our engineers are working diligently to get this resolved.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange .. according to their own nameservers, NS6.ZONEEDIT.COM does not exists (should be NS9 instead of NS6).

I thought the problem can be solved in 1-2 hours this morning (their timezone) but I was wrong. Fortunately, I have only one domain with nameservers on zoneedit. I choose zoneedit for their uptime and "fail over monitor" service, for a website that need that. Their sollution, to add more nameservers, is not good for me, because the domain is .ro and any change in whois information took about 24 hours (similar with .co.za)

We noticed some issues with this last night around 3am, and it is still down now. good thing that is just the off server communications domain, and our network is up and running fine.

Still nothing. Its been about 12hours now if not more.

Zoneedit has become a huge disappointment for us because of this outage and lack of communication with their customers informing us about the problem.

We will be moving all of our domains off of their services immediately. Replies to their support emails have been completely nonresponsive to the crisis. Even with a third nameserver through them, we have experienced continuing intermittant and ongoing outages and inability of people to get to our sites.

Stay away from Zoneedit, folks. You get what you pay for.

bostongio, Who do you recommend as an alternative?

In my opinion, best alternative is dnsmadeeasy.com They have 100% uptime for several years. However, I'm not sure they accept clients from outside US (last year they refuse my order and recommend me .. zoneedit)

Well, ironically, we were using Zoneedit because we believed it was more reliable than hosting DNS ourselves on our own servers. But for now, we just moved things over to our own DNS server and will host it in-house until I do a little research on other providers.

Some we've looked at so far:

Pay DNS hosting services:

easydns - $19.95/domain/year - $14.90 for 10 ($149.00/year)
    dyndns - $24.95/domain/year - $19.95 for 10 ($199.50/year)
    lanechange.net - $7.95/domain/year
    dnspark.com - $9.95/domain/year - $7.46 for 10 ($70.46/year) - 1 free domain

Free DNS hosting services:

xname.org - free - (takes donations, $5/month min. for commercial use apparently; hosts 85,454 domains/zones currently)
    freedns.afraid.org - free - (takes donations, hosts 88,000+ domains/zones currently, $5/month min. for commerical use apparently)
    editdns.net - free - brand new, tho, not sure I'd use them yet

Those should get you started....... if anyone has any direct experience with any of these providers, please let us know!

enom sells dns services, too

I woke up right now to see all is back to normal. Downtime according to my monitoring service: Downtime total 19 hour(s) 31 min(s) 21 sec(s).

Looks like only ns17 was fixed - ns2, ns3 and ns9 do not respond.

Just a note guys, dnsmadeeasy is by far one of the best. We havn't had any downtime there that I have noticed in the years we have used them.

Very cheap too.

-Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast