Invision [IPB] or vBulletin?

Hey,

I'm planning on building upon a new community and i'm not sure which would be the better program to use.

I have come to a solution of two highly suggested programs, Invision Power Board and vBulletin.

http://www.invisionboard.com/
    http://www.vbulletin.com/

The question is, which is the better of the two? Price doesn't matter to me, it's the quality, resources available and the service the companies provide.

Ta,
    James
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

It's an age old question; and you'll get biased results from asking because there are a lot of hardcore fans for one but not the other. At the end of the day, its really which one you'd prefer to use, and much time you're willing to invest in it.

If you want my biased response, go with vBulletin. Jelsoft is a lot more honest than Invision Power Services about their license structure. ...none of the weird fancy 'life time license' 'perpetual license' 'annual license' and whatever they discontinued as 'trial license' and 'free license' etc. from IPS.
    Warning: include('signature') [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in eval'd code on line 38
    Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'signature' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in eval'd code on line 38

/me scrolls down the page to the footer

"Powered by vBulletin"

Hey, if can keep all of us afloat...

[[email protected]] ~ $ cat .signature
    cat: .signature: No such file or directory

I have tried both and settled with vBulletin. There support is awesome weather it be a ticket or the forums, you can get your answer to just about any question you have. And since it is the most widely used commercial message board the resources are endless. Including, skins, mods, and many other sites that are mainly vB related.. With the new plug in system there are several mods being released on vb.org that don't even require template and php file edits anymore You will have to pick what is right for you though, just like NE-Andy said there are fans of both..

1104 thread about IPB/vBulletin! I used IPB, went to vBulletin when Invision kept changing their pricing/license policies faster then some people change underwear! Other then that, it's a person's choice.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

vB is better if you plan to modify lots of things and use it as your complete website, if you just want a forum with a nice interface and easy management then IPB is for you.

Another vote for vBulletin here. I've never had a problem with it.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Another for vB here I don't like the way IP handle a lot of things as a company so would never buy their products.
    Steve

PHPBB..

Oh wait its not on the list :$

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Quote Originally Posted by azizny
    PHPBB..
    I'm trying my best not to gag...
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

vbulletin is the more secure forum out of the 2 however if i had the choice i'd choose phpbb over them both any day of the week for security reasons if you look over exploits released for all 3 ya will see which one hasnt had many released and the ones that have come out havent been as damaging as most..

im not saying its the best im just saying it appears to be the more secure to date..
    in my experiance anyways

Quote Originally Posted by InfoH
    i'd choose phpbb over them both any day of the week for security reasons...
    Are you on crack?

well IPB I'm not 100% sure on but fresh installs (no mods..)
    phpbb(2) is alot more secure than vb or ipb..

PHPBB has a terrible security history. I've lost count of the number of hacked forums I've had to deal with. I'm not saying the others are any better, simply that with the number of installations PHPBB has a lot seem to end up in trouble! (Before anyone else posts it I'm sure a lot were out of date software)
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by InfoH
    phpbb(2) is alot more secure than vb or ipb..
    Yet securityfocus says otherwise? Please post the poof of your statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by azizny
    PHPBB..

Oh wait its not on the list :$

Peace,
    I tried phpBB but it kept messing up and I couldn't be bothered anymore, i then moved to a free invision which was what I was using but yer No comment!

Quote Originally Posted by RaceJunkie
    several mods being released on vb.org
    That's a site on Victory Baptist Church. But you made you point clear! I googled way more resourse & template sites than I did for IPB
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

I'm talking about recent-wise, however looking through my exploit database i'm getting my wires crossed, vb seems to be fairly secure aswell however i'm sure i remember a RFI not too long ago

IPB is insecure.. quite a few SQL and code injection vulnerbilities
    phpbb2 has had a RFI back in september but that was on an admin file so not really an issue..
    vb hasnt had anything that sticks out at first glance on my database
    not in past couple of months anyways for 3.6 anyways..

I need to go back to VB I think. I went with IPB to save about 20$ and well - it has too many steps to accomplish some seemingly easy task that VB only takes 1 step to do.

I want my VB VB VB - I want my VB VB VB. (from Chili's)