Thread: DNS on webmin

DNS on webmin

I'm still having problems getting the DNS to resolve... so if someone can walk me through how to set the DNS up on Webmin through MSN than I'll pay $10 US after it works

What do you mean by "getting DNS to resolve"?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffradio
    I'm still having problems getting the DNS to resolve... so if someone can walk me through how to set the DNS up on Webmin through MSN than I'll pay $10 US after it works
    no need to pay us i mean not just $10 !! heheh

let us know whats the prb is and we will help you ! for FREE !

Do the following steps in order if you didn't touch anything in your BIND conf:

Step 1: Login webmin.

Step 2: Click on the Servers Icon once and wait for it to load fully. On that page, locate the BIND DNS Server link and click on it (assume you install BIND version ). On the BIND DNS Server page, click on the Create a new master zone and wait for the page to load fully. Now, the loaded page will show you a form asking for the following:

Zone type: Forward
    Domain name / Network: Enter in your domain name (without the www)
    Records file: Automatic
    Master server: ns1.yourdomain.com (note... this ns should be the one you created at your domain registrar)
    Email address: //dns@yourdomain.com// (as long as this is your valid email address)

Leave everything else as it is and press on the Create button. After you have done that, you should be in the Edit Master Zone for your newly added domain. Find Name Server (1) and click on it so that you can add another name server. In Add Name Server Record page, there is a form there asking for the following:

Zone Name: yourdomain.com. (remember there is one dot [.] at the end of your domain name.
    Name Server: ns2.yourdomain.com. (this should be your second name server which you have created at your domain registrar.)

Leave everything else as it is and click on the Create button.

Ok, you have already added your domain name in BIND and now you need to point your domain name to a valid IP address by doing the following:

Go to Edit Master Zone page for your domain and click on Address and a form with the following fields will be loaded:

Name: yourdomin.com. (remember the ending dot)
    Address: your assigned IP address

Leave everything else as it is and click on the Create button.

Do the above step for your name servers (e.g. the two name servers which you have created at your domain registrar)

Name: ns1.yourdomin.com. (remember the ending dot)
    Address: your assigned IP address (the one you assigned when creating this name server at your domain registrar)

Do the same for your ns2.yourdomain.com.

NOTE: ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com are just an example.

If you need to make your domain email to work… this step is important… click on the Mail Server link in your Edit Master Zone for your domain then a form will be loaded asking for the following:

Name: yourdomain.com.
    Mail Server: yourdomain.com.
    Priority: 10 (should be good enough)
    Leave everything as it is and click on the Create button.

If you need other people able to reach your domain site with www in front… create a new Name Alias which can be found in your domain Edit Master Zone page. The form will ask you for the following:

Name: www.yourdomain.com. (again... remember the ending dot)

Once you have done all of the above¦ you have to start/restart NAME/BIND by going to the Module Index page for BIND then scroll all the way down and find for either Apply Changes or Start Named button.

Hope this helps.
    Senior Server Administrator

Thanks linuxcares! I will try it out

Hi,

Let us know how it goes
    Senior Server Administrator

Hmm, it did not work

http://stuffhost.net

if you like i can take a look

Is your domain registar pointing at your nameservers? Also, could you please give us the output of this command run on ssh:

cat /var/log/messages | grep named

That might help figure out what's happening

Edit:

How I am searching:
    Searching for stuffhost.net A record at b.root-servers.net [192.228.79.201]: Timed out. Trying again.
    Searching for stuffhost.net A record at l.root-servers.net [198.32.64.12]: Got referral to F.GTLD-SERVERS.net. (zone: net.) [took 120 ms]
    Searching for stuffhost.net A record at F.GTLD-SERVERS.net. [192.35.51.30]: Got referral to n1.stuffhost.net. (zone: stuffhost.net.) [took 99 ms]
    Searching for stuffhost.net A record at n1.stuffhost.net. [216.176.188.2]: Timed out. Trying again.
    Searching for stuffhost.net A record at n2.stuffhost.net. [216.176.188.10]: Timed out. Trying again.
    Searching for stuffhost.net A record at n1.stuffhost.net. [216.176.188.2]: Server failure! [took 1650 ms].
    So forget my question about pointing the domainname to the nameservers
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

Dec 20 00:44:43 localhost named[12172]: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'
    Dec 20 00:44:43 localhost named[12172]: zone stuffhost.net/IN: loaded serial 1166593000
    Dec 20 00:44:43 localhost named[12172]: zone stuffhost.net/IN: sending notifies
    (serial 1166593000)