* ** Keep Your Eyes Open For This Person **

Just 3 days ago, I received an order from a person by the name of Thomas Haag. He ordered a dedicated server from us, it was provisioned within 6 hours time. The payment was received (via paypal), everything looked okay and information for the server was sent to the 'client'. Today, I received a call from the owner (Thomas Haag) of the paypal account stating he never made such an order and never authorized this payment. The payment was "held & placed* by Paypal ofcourse and reversed. The user goes by the email [email protected]. The server was unplugged this evening.

Anyhow, just want to let you guys know please keep your eyes open and be more cautious. Take care!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Thank you for the heads up on this character. Thats the only thing I hate about selling dedicated servers, you can lose so much money with just one person up and deciding to retract money through paypal. I really wish they would give us some protection :|

Lane

Thanks for the heads up on this clown. I had a similar fraud order with an offline CC by some other guy, and no information matched up, and he refused to verify the credit card number, exp date, CCV, and his real telephone number. I wish the frauders would all go away somewhere, as we all lose so much just from this.

One thing we have done to combat fraud orders is to turn off the option in PayPal which allows them to use Credit Cards, as useful as that maybe it causes alot of hassle as all they have to do is say to MasterCard (or whoever) and say it was a fraud order.

Just my $$ Cents
    CODES WORLD (Your Coding Resource)
    www.codesworld.info

Is there not a way of stopping people from doing this once payments are made via paypal if they say it was fraud order to paypal they get there money back. Can we not tell paypal that they order a server and that we do not offer a 30day money back on dedicated servers? Of course if it really is a fraud order there is not much that can be done but i mean from the people who own the paypal
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Sorry that happened. Fraud orders, especially with dedicated machines can spell disaster in a minute. With chargeback fees, bank fees and everything else.

That's why I stopped using PP to process dedicated (any orders) for that matter. Too unreliable IMO.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

This is why I block all free email addresses.

Also why whenever I get an order through paypal, I automatically withdraw it through an ATM, to keep my account balance exactly $0.

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    Just 3 days ago, I received an order from a person by the name of Thomas Haag. He ordered a dedicated server from us, it was provisioned within 6 hours time. The payment was received (via paypal), everything looked okay and information for the server was sent to the 'client'. Today, I received a call from the owner (Thomas Haag) of the paypal account stating he never made such an order and never authorized this payment. The payment was "held & placed* by Paypal ofcourse and reversed. The user goes by the email [email protected]. The server was unplugged this evening.

Anyhow, just want to let you guys know please keep your eyes open and be more cautious. Take care!
    You run a company, a company with legal department or consultant right?

If you do, did your lawyer already murder for disclosing full name of unsuspected individual who's funds were stolen and who has a possible case of a stolen identity?

If not, please get one.
    All My Data From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie
    You run a company, a company with legal department or consultant right?

If you do, did your lawyer already murder for disclosing full name of unsuspected individual who's funds were stolen and who has a possible case of a stolen identity?

If not, please get one.
    There's nothing illegal with saying someone's name. I don't care if their funds were stolen or not. You can read a phone book and have someone's name.

I'd have to agree with CEngine on that one, just saying someone's name and/or email isn't illegal as both are a matter of public record and can typically be found online rather easily in many cases.

Anyhow I don't think we should turn this into another one of those legal debates (I've seen plenty of threads go downhill from such a discussion, not to mention it's been discussed plenty of times already as well).
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Quote Originally Posted by jschurawlow
    I'd have to agree with CEngine on that one, just saying someone's name and/or email isn't illegal as both are a matter of public record and can typically be found online rather easily in many cases.

Anyhow I don't think we should turn this into another one of those legal debates (I've seen plenty of threads go downhill from such a discussion, not to mention it's been discussed plenty of times already as well).
    It's almost a pure destiny for these type of topics

Unfortunately even i am very upset about the same, i recieve SPAMS from all over the world. But i recently with one of my solutions, i managed to reduce them. Phew!!! i can truly concentrate on my genuine customers.

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine
    There's nothing illegal with saying someone's name. I don't care if their funds were stolen or not. You can read a phone book and have someone's name.
    Wrong, talk to your lawyer. My friend works for HR @ bergdorfgoodman.com (One of the most prestigious new york city stores) if you pulled something like this they would have their whole legal team working on this for a whole week after they fire you.
    All My Data From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.

We do not use paypal at all.

Wrong, talk to your lawyer. My friend works for HR @ bergdorfgoodman.com (One of the most prestigious new york city stores) if you pulled something like this they would have their whole legal team working on this for a whole week after they fire you.
    Uh, sorry, no.. WRONG!

You're missing the point. Maybe your friend's employers are sue-happy ringer-dingers as it may be company policy, but other than that..

1. It's just a name, names are public record and can be found in a phone book if you really try, or in google.. Are you telling me, I should sue the AAU Sports for publishing my son's Nationals and Olympic scores online using his full name? If this were true, people would be suing people left and right.

I don't know what your friend (or their employer) have been smoking.

2. If this were true. News stations would get very boring saying "This guy from the movie "Tiittikaka" has done such and such." Or, "This Person, 87, has died on blah blah." Or, "Once little ****** was pulled to safety out of the well.. ****** thanked his rescuers ******* ****, ***** ***********, *** **********, ****** *******, ******* ***** ***************, and ***** ****** for their heroic efforts.

3. You can find someone's ADDRESS in the phone book, and actually directions to their house and SEE THEM FOR REAL, even by searching random off the wall names.

Tell you what. Tell your "friend" to give you the US LAW (not company policy) which states that it's illegal to divulge someone's first and last name alone.

Email address is insignigicant as you can get them anywhere now. The scammer was using a hotmail email address anyways.

This just defies common sense. It's right there.

Stacie, you are wrong.

Of course he can state the person’s name. There is nothing wrong with that. The most the person could claim would be libel; however, they have no way of proving it was directed at them. He was just stating an individual, known as "John Doe" bought this order, meaning watch out for other people using the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine
    Bunch of ramblings
    I never said it was a US law, seriously there is no point to argue with internet lawyers.

Ok I thought this was about fraud and not if it's right or wrong to place a person name on a forum.

My 2 cents warn others is better then everyone getting taken by the same person
    Nobullservers
    Hosting with out the bull
    24/7 tech support

I never said it was a US law, seriously there is no point to argue with internet lawyers.
    *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by stacie

If not, please get one.
    Sounds like it to me. And aparently to other people also. Not even beginning to comment on your second post. I'm just going by what you said, and the laws. And you're right. There is no point.. So why are you acting like one telling him to get a lawyer as if he did something illegal?

The only reason why I can see that you would even post this latest post of:

Is because you dug yourself into a hole, and now that people are questioning you, you have no more smart-mouthed remarks to give to the guy or any of us answering our questions.

That's just me though. I kind of wonder if anyone else sees that or not?

Quote Originally Posted by gmilazzo
    Ok I thought this was about fraud and not if it's right or wrong to place a person name on a forum.

My 2 cents warn others is better then everyone getting taken by the same person
    Exactly my point Thanks for the warning Dan.

it be nice if we had a forum where we can warn about problem people like reversed payments, spammers, etc. So no other host or provider makes the mistake of selling to them

that would be a great addition here but the down side is that if someone just don't like the person they would be posting so there would have to be a way to protect the person who is really innocent. Which would really be a hrad thing to do.

Everything sounds good in the mind til you sit down and figure out how you protect one.
    Nobullservers
    24/7 tech support

Quote Originally Posted by gmilazzo
    that would be a great addition here but the down side is that if someone just don't like the person they would be posting so there would have to be a way to protect the person who is really innocent. Which would really be a hrad thing to do.

Everything sounds good in the mind til you sit down and figure out how you protect one.
    Yes, as it would be very easy for one to post someone on a whim due to a tiff.

I know for spammer there is spamhaus we use it when we get spamming complaints and 9 out of 10 time you'll find that the person you are renting tto is a spammer.
    Nobullservers
    24/7 tech support