Is there really a way to stop other people's site from selling your stuff?

I was buzzed earlier by a friend of mine that some geeks (or lunatics) are selling my product on another website. I saw it there listed with a bunch of other guys stuff being sold at a fraction of the price.

This got the attention of some other product owners who are now talking about it in another forum. I saw some comments there that we, the product owners affected, can't really do much about this on the net since illegal stuffs are always there to haunt us. With no one to turn to, even big companies like Microsoft are not spared much more small time players.

But I am looking for ways and means to counteract this still and wanted to know if someone from here has an experience dealing with a similar problem. Added to this is when I checked the hosting company, it seems they are affiliated to the domain owners.

So with the webhosts probably won't listen to me when I grumble, I can only think of the domain registrar to go to but have no experience on this as well.

Any recommendations on how to deal with this problem?

Where can I report these problems?

What are the steps to do?

If you are in my shoes, would you ignore it or would you fight for it?

Thanks in advance.
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

whois the IP & contact the data center. The data center will then contact the provider etc etc.

If you need any help finding the data center just PM me the IP :-).
    Please PM me if you need any updates or help.

If i were in you shoes I would be fighting tooth and nail. I feel illegal sharing or selling should be stopped. There is a reason why we sell, so we can support the producer to make more and better things.

I would do as suggested and begin with a whois lookup on the domain and see what the name servers names are. Once you have that you should be able to find the host of thew web server. From there you can contact the host and see what they have to say.

I have read many cases where hosts couldnt care less, so it may be alot harder then just telling them about it. If the host dosent seam to care contact the datacenter they are located in. Most times datacenters wont stand for illegal activity.

If none of that works, your best bet will be to contact the attorney general for your state and get some real legal advice. He/She may have suggestions, or call on your behalf to the host or DC. Trust me when a host or DC gets a call from an attorney general, it all goes down lol.

Good luck bro,

Lane

from my 1st hand experience, we can't do anything about it.

in many cases, those servers are placed in a bedroom located in maybe china and russia.

so all the proposed method won't work at all, since no dc and diff ip law

and if you have time doing real research, you'll find your products all over the internet, finding 1000s of those sites.

If you see your product on one site, there should be at least 100 sites with your product. Also don't forgot lots of CD copies being sold locally in those countries.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by eric418
    from my 1st hand experience, we can't do anything about it.

in many cases, those servers are placed in a bedroom located in maybe china and russia.

so all the proposed method won't work at all, since no dc and diff ip law

and if you have time doing real research, you'll find your products all over the internet, finding 1000s of those sites.

If you see your product on one site, there should be at least 100 sites with your product. Also don't forgot lots of CD copies being sold locally in those countries.
    I'm not sure that I would agree with just sitting back and not doing anything about it. I for one do believe it is worth the time to try to stop the illegal transfer. It may not be possible, but I would sure give it my best try.

Lane

all authors including me would like to stop this too. this is an absolute answer.

but the outstanding question (for all the years) is how? at least we need a sound way to start trying.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEnd
    If none of that works, your best bet will be to contact the attorney general for your state and get some real legal advice.
    If only there is such a thing where the OP lives.

Still, you gave the right idea. Unfortunately only legal advice can possibly help.

This is one reality we all face, and we usually do what we can. But rather than just
    fight it, why not somehow work with it?

I don't suppose that its a website selling SEO software hosted in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by cupcakes123
    I don't suppose that its a website selling SEO software hosted in Russia?
    Yes the website IP and host is pointing to Russia. DNSReport of the domain shows this:

ns1.dnsname.info. [88.212.221.3 (NO GLUE)] [RU]
    ns2.dnsname.info. [88.212.196.61 (NO GLUE)] [RU]

Which datacenter is this HDCraig? And what can we do from here?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks guys!
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

the direction is not to trace those website, this is meaningless and already known there won't be any result.

instead update your software licensing and authenication algorithm. like centralized domain control, internet activation through your website etc etc.

do monitor license key volumn usage, and blacklisting those exploited time to time.

this is much more effective and the only sound approach up to this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by eric418
    all authors including me would like to stop this too. this is an absolute answer.

but the outstanding question (for all the years) is how? at least we need a sound way to start trying.

active license key system.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    active license key system.
    Hmmm didn't many companies such as VBulletin, etc, try this allready only to get that code cracked and hacked? While I agree that this can help it can also be hacked. IE: CPanel licensing for example. User has a username and password that he can login to CPanel and point his software to the proper server...only a user can hack that and abuse the system yet again. Or the CPanel licensing server can get hacked without them noticing it if they provide bad administration.

Until there is a common agreement among nations to crack down on this type of behavior I don't think there is much to do.

A thought that I have heard people mention that will not work: Governing Internet Body blocks IPs from countries that do not crack down on this. Oh wait China would be upset...so would russia so what's to stop them from segmenting their own network and completely ignoring the global market? Basically as long as countries/governments don't seriously work with the corporations to stop theft and illegal activity there is nothing we can really do...kind of like spammers...nothing we can really do unless all governing bodies crack down.

Speaking of Countries that do host a lot of the piracy and illegal activity...these include:

China, Russia, Denmark, Holland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Serbia...plus many others...Eastern Europe (Big backers) and Asia are all big problems with this as they do not want to clamp down on international treaties (Africa and South America is becoming a free for all for SPAM and illegal activity in recent years as well).
    PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
    High Quality Services at a very competitive price!