Thread: Advice Needed

Arrow Advice Needed

Hi,

I'm about to purchase another dedicated server and have shortlisted it to one of the following. Please can you give advice on which is the better system (I don't want to hear comparisons with other specs please, just the two systems detailed below):

PIII 700
    256 Ram
    9Gb Scsi HD

or

Duron 1GHz
    512 Ram
    60Gb IDE HD

I'm only going to be putting some really small sites on to it, about max 20 x 20Mb sites, so the resources/server load is not going to be high.

The Duron will cost an extra $10 per month and an extra $200 on setup. The price does not bother me that much, I just need to know how the two would compare. If needed, I could also upgrade the ram to 512 on the PIII.

Your advice is much appreciated

Regards,

Locutus

I doubt you'd notice the difference in processor speeds. If you do need to upgrade ram on the cheaper one, the $200 in setup and $10 per month savings should more than pay for the ram you need.

Nocster?

Re: Advice Needed

PIII 700
    256 Ram
    9Gb Scsi HD

or

Duron 1GHz
    512 Ram
    60Gb IDE HD

I'm only going to be putting some really small sites on to it, about max 20 x 20Mb sites, so the resources/server load is not going to be high.

The Duron will cost an extra $10 per month and an extra $200 on setup. The price does not bother me that much, I just need to know how the two would compare. If needed, I could also upgrade the ram to 512 on the PIII.
    If you are sure you will not be going much over what you stated on resources I would go with:
    PIII 700
    256 Ram
    9Gb Scsi HD

More ram would help but should not be needed unless you have a lot of cgi activity.

I would go the second option as it gives you room to grow with the HDD size.

From whatve youve said, Id go with the first one.

If you need to grow then second, but I dont like AMDs.

second

Hi,

I ordered the first one yesterday and it was setup in a few hours

Checked the system to see everything is okay and it is actually a PIII 800!!!

I don't need that big a HD at the moment, plus its a SCSI. I can always upgrade to a bigger HD and more memory at a later date, but I probably won't need to

Thumbs up to Nocster