Gigenet Review [3 Months]

We've been using several Gigenet services for about 3 months now, and we have been thoroughly satisfied with everything. Their new line of dedicated servers are not only on some of the best hardware around, but also very competitively priced, and with their network, it's really hard to beat...we've also been using their ProxyShield and have absolutely no complaints.

Here's an overview.

Network
    It's been 100% -- perfect. We use the premium network and have no issues whatsoever with performance. Always able to get a fast download going inbound as well as outbound. We host some backups on a server (amongst other things, of course ) there and are able to transfer from one of our primary boxes in LA at a solid 7mbyte/s:

Code:
    [[email protected] ~]# wget [ . . . ]/16mb.test.file.zip
    [ . . . ]

100%[====================================>] 16,777,216     7.72M/s             

18:39:08 (7.71 MB/s) - `16mb.test.file.zip' saved [16777216/16777216]

[[email protected] ~]#
    Pretty sweet, if you ask me! They are also well renown for their DDOS Protection - and that particular network segment is excellent as well (we have been using it via the ProxyShield). They keep both networks totally separate with different ASNs, IPs, etc. Great network design.

Support
    I have not had better support at any other provider. They respond within minutes every time and very professionally at that. Derek, Chris, Ameen...all great people to work with. I've had issues with a kernel late at night (we're talking midnight - 1AM my time EST [they're only an hr behind - CST]) and they've been able to get my box back up within just minutes. How can I complain?

Hardware
    Great! We have a Core 2 Duo and it flys. We get about 260 on CentOs 32 bit with UnixBench, and ~ 360-370 on CentOs 64 bit with UnixBench. Great bang for the buck! Haven't had any hardware issue yet either, and I have confidence that in an instance where we do, they will be able to do a very prompt replacement, with their excellent support (as described above).

As you can see, Gigenet is truly one of the superior providers out there. I have high standards, and they have met (and exceeded) them all.

HTH
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Awesome review, let us know how it goes in six months....

Thanks for the review

We get about 260 on CentOs 32 bit with UnixBench, and ~ 360-370 on CentOs 64 bit with UnixBench
    That is quite an improvement. Did this also show in real life applications performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios
    Thanks for the review

That is quite an improvement. Did this also show in real life applications performance?
    We aren't really pushing the box [to its limits], but I did some MySQL benchmarks and I did see a fairly proportionate increase...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

are they considered unmanaged?

Quote Originally Posted by ed100
    are they considered unmanaged?
    I'd say they are unmanaged. But they are far from unhelpful.

I love gigenet.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Touche. I currently have a couple servers here, and I love the network performance and support.
    Next-Generation Game Servers- www.NextGenServers.com - Play On. Fast, Reliable, Low ping, No Lag, full support servers. Providing Professional, Low Cost, but effective services to gamers like you. Providing the nextgen of gaming services.

What kind of DoS protection do these servers come with?

If you could include their URL, it'd be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    If you could include their URL, it'd be helpful
    www.gigenet.com

they just need better servers

got any test download file url?
    want to test the download from my location
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riquelme
    they just need better servers
    They have Core 2 Duo's, Dual Core Opterons, and Dual Core Woodcrests. What is better than that?

yeah I was looking at them and gigeservers, looks like dos protection is just on the high risk servers and it looks like theyre out of them. They got a killer special on that core2duo though, I sent an email to sales asking about protection.
    I would have already got a gigeserver but biggest thing was p4 3ghz with 80gb hd
    I have always wanted a server with them I heard their ddos protection is the best and their network is stable with no outages

Quote Originally Posted by Nit3Crawl3r
    got any test download file url?
    want to test the download from my location
    thanks
    Hello Nit3Crawl3r, please check http://gigenet.com/looking-glass.htm
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Thanks for the link.
    I tried download all files, and compare the download rates.
    Hmm, all download rate is average 15-20kbps from my location, singapore.
    Maybe its to far for me

Thanks for the link.
    I tried download all files, and compare the download rates.
    Hmm, all download rate is average 15-20kbps from my location, singapore.
    Maybe its to far for me

Thats quite odd we have pretty good international connectivity, what kind of connection are you on?
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing

Hello Nit3Crawl3r, please check http://gigenet.com/looking-glass.htm
    The 5 meg test doesn't seem to be working - just wanted to let you know

Also, the traceroute doesn't work; it just says "done"

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    The 5 meg test doesn't seem to be working - just wanted to let you know

Also, the traceroute doesn't work; it just says "done"

Thanks , traceroute fixed and removed the 5mb file, its a pointless download test anyway for 5mb
    GigeNET

I've been with Gigenet for almost 2 yrs and looking forward to continuing with them, been very satisfied and don't think I would consider another place. I admit Gigenet got a strong base, with great staff & services, protection, servers, networks and security.

Quote Originally Posted by ameen
    Thats quite odd we have pretty good international connectivity, what kind of connection are you on?
    Today i got news from my helpdesk(my working company). Its about internet in asia region might be very slow or NA after earthquake at Taiwan. I couldnt open any websites (hosted on server outside asia region) from morning start work until time off. But when i got home internet seem to be working, but the internet connection speed still effected. Actually i also noticed that my internet seem to be slower than before for past few days.

To load this page, its takes 30 seconds to fully loaded. But sometimes just 1-2 seconds. At least not like when i at work, 10am-6pm cant access all my hostings and server. My laptop without internet seem to be useless that time. I can only do my offline work.

I will try again few more time and compare the download rate. Will post the detail here. Im using broadband (8mb download, that what my ISP said )

I just finish try test download for today.
    woot!
    download test files with 1200-1400kbps

.......WOW!

But, i forgot to set my download connection to 1(default is 10 for flashget or most of the download manager)

i try again with 1 download connection, i get 130-140kbps.
    I think its a normal speed rate for test download i can get from here. But 10 download connection can hit until 1200-1400kbps is first time.
    The highest i get with 10 download connection is around 800-900kbps.

Hey, looking forward to do business with you in future

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...rr0&refer=home
    http://www.cht.com.tw/CompanyCat.php...=HotNewsDetail

Fiber cut due to earthquakes. Could be influencing your speeds to/from Asia.
    Last edited by Xandrios; 12-27-2006 at 11:11 AM.

I just finish try test download for today.
    woot!
    download test files with 1200-1400kbps

.......WOW!

But, i forgot to set my download connection to 1(default is 10 for flashget or most of the download manager)

i try again with 1 download connection, i get 130-140kbps.
    I think its a normal speed rate for test download i can get from here. But 10 download connection can hit until 1200-1400kbps is first time.
    The highest i get with 10 download connection is around 800-900kbps.

Hey, looking forward to do business with you in future

Excellent! I knew there was something fishy
    GigeNET

Why was natpow's post deleted?
    Next-Generation Game Servers- www.NextGenServers.com - Play On. Fast, Reliable, Low ping, No Lag, full support servers. Providing Professional, Low Cost, but effective services to gamers like you. Providing the nextgen of gaming services.

You might want to view his profile.

Still doesn't Explain why you disabled his account, BUT It is nice to know that Gigenet has cleaned up and runs an awesome service.

We don't explain why anyone's account's disabled.

Glad to see we are able to get back on topic about gigenet's service.

Thumbs up

Yup, you cant argue when it comes to Gigenet. It almost as if they treat their clients like a part of their small family.

Excellent Support, Excellent Hardware, Excellent Network
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com