Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please guys ... post urls of hosts that are proactive FOR REAL.

Thanks

I've seen Lunarpages selling full managed services for $10 extra a month, either for VPS or dedicated boxes.
    When I had to manage my old VPS, sometimes I didn't even remember to update my cpanel installation. Ah... I just want to host my sites. I don't have time to be a sys admin...

And more proactive that LunarPages is difficult. Good team there.
    Two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors, previously a super-affiliate.

Well, judging from the result of my recent searches, fully managed VPSs don't really exist. It seems that you're the only one responsible of the security on your server as long as you have root access.

However a shared environment can be fully managed. But it lacks flexibility (ie: #databases limitation) despite the fact that some here are saying otherwise.

So, if you're rich, you can order a managed dedicated server.
    If you're not, then, you can order a VPS and, at the same time, for $20/month, ask a server management company to administrate your VPS.

I'm open to better ideas

Sleidia -

There are several providers out there that will handle a VPS much like a reseller account you would have with them. They offer full support and management - though you have to understand that the level of support provided for a VPS is a bit more complicated so response times might differ depending on the provider.

Before you make your mind up - I would suggest looking into companies that offer services reflective to HostNine.com. I will vouch that their support is amazing.

That's my two turn tables - spin'em if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate7
    I've seen Lunarpages selling full managed services for $10 extra a month, either for VPS or dedicated boxes.
    When I had to manage my old VPS, sometimes I didn't even remember to update my cpanel installation. Ah... I just want to host my sites. I don't have time to be a sys admin...

And more proactive that LunarPages is difficult. Good team there.
    I had a look here : http://www.lunarpages.com/virtual-private-server/

I was curious at their so called "Managed Sevices" ( "sevice" means "torture" in French )

Well, for $10, they are quite vague concerning what you're supposed to get.
    What do they mean by "monitoring" ?

On the other side, I note that it's rare to gain such a high traffic quota on a VPS plan.
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jerett
    Sleidia -

There are several providers out there that will handle a VPS much like a reseller account you would have with them. They offer full support and management - though you have to understand that the level of support provided for a VPS is a bit more complicated so response times might differ depending on the provider.
    Ok, support is one thing (most of the VPS plans provide extensive support).
    But, regularily checking/tightening the security on a VPS is a very different thing.
    To me, paying someone who's dedicated to doing this is the best solution so far.

Before paying - check with their sales department to find out exactly what they offer. HostNine is proactive so they might be ontop of all that already. Another is WireTree - they are very proactive on their security as well.

I recommend a server management company such as platinumservermanagement.com, they seem to be very highly praised at the moment.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

That "sevice" catch was funny If you have any specific doubt about them, PM me and I'll ask a manager.

As for the traffic, yes, it really depends on the kind of site. I've seen small websites with less than 1 Gb of traffic, getting apache down. And I've seen others (video hosters) getting above 1000 Gb's with no problem.
    Two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors, previously a super-affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff - Exceed
    I recommend a server management company such as platinumservermanagement.com, they seem to be very highly praised at the moment.

They look perfect, the exception being the fact that they only manage servers that have CPANEL ( I have HSPC ).

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate7
    if you have any specific doubt about them, PM me and I'll ask a manager.
    Two things I dislike about them :

1) their plans descriptions are not detailed enough ( ie: CPU?, RAM? )
    2) the setup fee for contracts shorter than 12 months.

My current host ( FluidHosting ) :
    1) they have their plans described in detail
    2) no setup fee
    3) no spelling mistake on their site so far
    4) great support
    5) Internap

Their only drawback is their comparatively small trafic quota and that they offer only semi-managed plans ...
    ... which is why a server management company could become handy.

As for CPU and RAM what I've seen lately is that if you reach the maximum usage, the problem will be dealt case by case. Some webhosters move those accounts to other servers, where they can stay at no extra cost, because they give a good name to the company, even if they are loosing money with that customer.
    I've seen lots of stories like: "I'm using more than xxxx Gb's a month, and it's running well in x company".

That's free advertising that these companies love, and make people trust them.

For ex. Dreamhost removed the known CPU limits because it was affecting their image.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12