Hybrid View

Can I Switch to Linux Hosting? (Migration help)

Hey all..
    Some history, I started making websites a year ago. I've now got about 20 of them, and I'm hoping for another 20,30 the upcoming year. My current host is not working out and I'm thinking about moving. I was just changed to a "ReSeller" with them, altough I don't think I need a reseller.

I don't care about giving my clients CP's. I just wanted the lower rates.

I am on a windows platform there with an apache server. I'm thinking about switching to a linux server on my new host. The only thing I use that I don't think will be supported is Vbscript and ASP for an image gallery. (On about 5 sites) The ASP widget I use just stores info in an XML file, so can I still use this using something like Chilisoft? (Nvr heard about it before).

I'm thinking about migration here. I don't want to spend 2 weeks making sites work on a new environment when I can't even charge my clients for it.

Other then some ASP, I think I just need to worry about paths on config files etc. I also use OSCommerce.

I know I haven't gone over the nittygritty of my sites technologies, but other then html, js, swf's the basics etc.. I wonder if I'm missing anything big in thinking about this migration.

I appreciate any brinstorming here. Many Thanks.

Many Linux servers are tweaked to allow ASP and JSP, though I'm not so sure about VBScript.

If you're using commercial scripts you could perhaps just download the Linux versions and move the database but you'd have to check about that.

You could always have 2 hosting accounts - 1 for Linux and 1 for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Legends
    Hey all..
    Some history, I started making websites a year ago. I've now got about 20 of them, and I'm hoping for another 20,30 the upcoming year. My current host is not working out and I'm thinking about moving. I was just changed to a "ReSeller" with them, altough I don't think I need a reseller.

I don't care about giving my clients CP's. I just wanted the lower rates.

I am on a windows platform there with an apache server. I'm thinking about switching to a linux server on my new host. The only thing I use that I don't think will be supported is Vbscript and ASP for an image gallery. (On about 5 sites) The ASP widget I use just stores info in an XML file, so can I still use this using something like Chilisoft? (Nvr heard about it before).

I'm thinking about migration here. I don't want to spend 2 weeks making sites work on a new environment when I can't even charge my clients for it.

Other then some ASP, I think I just need to worry about paths on config files etc. I also use OSCommerce.

I know I haven't gone over the nittygritty of my sites technologies, but other then html, js, swf's the basics etc.. I wonder if I'm missing anything big in thinking about this migration.

I appreciate any brinstorming here. Many Thanks.
    What will really make this less painful for you is the fact you are already on Apache on the windows platform - you will have fewer surprises moving to Linux. Also, as the above poster said, there are many hosts that provide ASP hosting on Linux - and yes, the VBScript is the killer for you.

Go for 2 reseller accounts: one linux and one windows, that way you can perform your migration on your own timetable.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    What will really make this less painful for you is the fact you are already on Apache on the windows platform - you will have fewer surprises moving to Linux. Also, as the above poster said, there are many hosts that provide ASP hosting on Linux - and yes, the VBScript is the killer for you.

Go for 2 reseller accounts: one linux and one windows, that way you can perform your migration on your own timetable.

Regards,
    Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Well the last couple sites I've wised up and started porting my vbs to js. it wasn't hard at all. I don't have too much of it, and they both seem to use the IE Dom.

Thats a good point about Apache. That will help. I also used .htaccess so I can hopefully just move all the ok_user files etc over.

so paths in config files will change I presume. I also have a couple e:\blah\blah paths. Does Linux have a way to "Map" drives, or Maby I'll just manually change the files.

As far as mySQL db's go, I have gone into my current mySQL Admin and exported all my db, tables as "Inserts" and "Updates" Is this all I needed to do in regards to having what I need to add my data on the new servers?

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Well the last couple sites I've wised up and started porting my vbs to js. it wasn't hard at all. I don't have too much of it, and they both seem to use the IE Dom.

Thats a good point about Apache. That will help. I also used .htaccess so I can hopefully just move all the ok_user files etc over.

so paths in config files will change I presume. I also have a couple e:\blah\blah paths. Does Linux have a way to "Map" drives, or Maby I'll just manually change the files.

As far as mySQL db's go, I have gone into my current mySQL Admin and exported all my db, tables as "Inserts" and "Updates" Is this all I needed to do in regards to having what I need to add my data on the new servers?
    you would have to change the hardcoded paths by hand. why not use relative paths? Also, if you were using the VBScript for client-side(browser) work, you don't have to change a thing.(pages are already dependent on IE)

For your DBs, use whatever backup function you have - it will do the CREATE TABLE statements for you.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    I actually planned on doing this by keeping my current webhost while I redeploy to my new host. I presume with my new host I can get like an "Instant Acess Domain Alias" or something like that?

I am on a windows platform there with an apache server. I'm thinking about switching to a linux server on my new host.
    Why do you want to switch?

The only thing I use that I don't think will be supported is Vbscript and ASP for an image gallery. (On about 5 sites) The ASP widget I use just stores info in an XML file, so can I still use this using something like Chilisoft? (Nvr heard about it before).
    I guess you are talking about the original ASP and not ASP.NET. Chilisoft might be a solution in this case, but if you really want to switch to Unix I would rather recommend to switch the development platform as well as you could experience troubles otherwise. There is some basic ASP support for Unix but it is not the same as on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid
    Why do you want to switch?
    Hmm.. Well I guess cause I was kinda using a hybrid windows configuration anyway. I'm also liking PHP allot. I don't use many ASP dependant things. I also am hoping Linux will be faster. I would like to goto more DB driven sites in the future and I know PHP and mySQL better then ASP and mySQL. I would like to not morph technologies and try to keep them in their native envorinments.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid
    I guess you are talking about the original ASP and not ASP.NET. Chilisoft might be a solution in this case, but if you really want to switch to Unix I would rather recommend to switch the development platform as well as you could experience troubles otherwise. There is some basic ASP support for Unix but it is not the same as on Windows.
    hmm.. I'm not sure actually. I'm not too keen on asp other then I know if I make a file .asp I can "Include" it. he he.. I'm SOOO loving PHP now.

I'm not sure how to tell what flavor of ASP I need. Basically I do know my asp uses "Inherits" and "Controls" (ascx)

Hmm.. Well I guess cause I was kinda using a hybrid windows configuration anyway. I'm also liking PHP allot.
    I like it too, but I wouldnt call such a configuration "hybrid". Apache/PHP isnt unusual on Windows.

I also am hoping Linux will be faster.
    That certainly depends on the machine, but if thats the only reason I wouldnt say go for it - you might be disappointed.

I would like to goto more DB driven sites in the future and I know PHP and mySQL better then ASP and mySQL. I would like to not morph technologies and try to keep them in their native envorinments.
    Your experience on a topic is certainly an important issue, but as I said before PHP is just as native on Windows as on Unix.