how much is sun servers? and are these good for web hosting?

Sun Netra t1 server. 105

http://www.sun.qassociates.co.uk/tel...servers-t1.htm

and

Sun Fire V120 server

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v120/

i can buy some of these servers from a friend of mine for very cheap price, but i'm not sure what are these servers worth NOW because they are outdated, and i saw some website stated that a new Sun Fire V120 server could cost 4K USD easily .

Anyone can give some ideas? i'm not familiar with sun server pricing.
    Last edited by HostForAsia; 12-18-2006 at 09:48 AM.
    http://www.hostforasia.com
    █ Hosting Asia Networks with English & Chinese support
    █ Registered in Singapore RCB53117457C

I believe Sun has prices on their site, so you shouldn't have any problem finding the retail price (or the real world price if you do a quick google). As for their appropriatenes, depends on what you're expecting from them, they certainly aren't going to set the world alight with their performance.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

i personally really have no experience on UltraSPARC IIi CPU, are they very efficient on running linux (CentOS, RHEL) other than their own Solaris?

i'm more interested in the V120, according to a website:

Sun Fire V120 Server

The Sun Fire™ V120 server is the next generation of the Netra T1 AC200 server. The Sun Fire V120 is offered at the same entry price as the Netra T1 AC200 server but offers significant increases in performance, processing power, memory, and storage. Included with the Sun Fire V120 server, are Sun™ ONE Web Server software, Sun ONE Active Server Pages software, and Apache HTTP server software--an approximate $2,000 value.

The Sun Fire V120 server features a 550 MHz or 650 MHz UltraSPARC IIi processor, 512 KB of Level 2 cache, support for up to 4 GB of memory, and up to two 36 GB hard drives. In addition to SCSI, PCI, and network connectivity, the Sun Fire V120 server provides rack-optimization features such as Lights Out Management (LOM) software, front and back LEDs, and hot-swappable hard drives for easy administration, all in a 1U form factor. Whether you're providing service applications, deploying Web servers, or installing a clustering configuration, the Sun Fire V120 server is an ideal, cost-effective solution.

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v120/index.html
    They have a huge number of these servers to get rid off, i'm thinking to buy maybe a couple dozen of these V120, just keep my fingers crossed that those i'm going to buy are functionable...
    http://www.hostforasia.com
    █ Hosting Asia Networks with English & Chinese support
    █ Registered in Singapore RCB53117457C

These servers are not particularly fast, and entry level P4 is way faster for most applications...
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

Quote Originally Posted by HostForAsia
    i personally really have no experience on UltraSPARC IIi CPU, are they very efficient on running linux (CentOS, RHEL) other than their own Solaris?
    AFAIK, you can't run most kinds of Linux on an UltraSparc. You need a Sun with an Intel x86 processor to run Cent/RHEL.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by HostForAsia
    I only see the 4.2 beta version of CentOS out there supporting SPARC, but that's not terribly old. I imagine you'll have a tough time finding CentOS sparc packages though.

You might look at Aurora Linux, which is based on Fedora Core. Personally I'd just run Solaris on it though.
    They have a huge number of these servers to get rid off, i'm thinking to buy maybe a couple dozen of these V120, just keep my fingers crossed that those i'm going to buy are functionable...
    These machines are quite old. UltraSPARC II (or "IIi") technology is nearly 10 years old, which may as well be 100 years old. At best they are equivalent to a Pentium II. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $150 per in bulk (I'd personally try to get them for $100 a pop). I've run Netra T1 AC 200s which are approximately of the same vintage. They are serviceable as Web servers and I've even ran some as development Oracle servers, but they are not fast.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ
    AFAIK, you can't run most kinds of Linux on an UltraSparc.
    There's very little point to running Linux on an Ultrasparc anyways, Solaris on the same HW is still faster and has better SMP.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

OpenBSD is another option, although I can't say I'd recommend it for anything in production.
    Anthony M. Faoro II - tmf [at] adtaq.com - (425) 444-8787 ex 7000
    Seattle Colocation @ Adtaq Internet | Seattle, WA | Be Happy!
    AIM TonyAdtaq | GTalk tmf [at] adtaq.com

The servers you have selected are not real performers.

We run a few v210s, v445s and t-2000s there do a very good job and will outperform most x86 hardware. running apache on soalris10 a v210 will put out about what a fast dual xeon (32 bit) will running freebsd. the 445s and t-2000s will do a good deal more.
    In general the hardware can take a lot more pounding than the (generaly) more cheaply made x86 hardware.
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

The v120 and Netra T1 servers are both good. Here in the USA the Netra T1s are worth about $100 USD or so depending on configuration.

The V120's sold new for $995 and up depending on configuration; right now they are higher on eBay than they "should" be because some people have not yet moved to the new servers from Sun, while Sun has discontinued the V120; so people that need them due to having a need for a spare or needing to use the exact same install image are paying more for them. They also take less expensive PC133 ECC RAM, so are easier to add RAM to.

Note that anything new that Sun sells has the US III CPU, which is much faster than the IIi (what a name for a CPU) found in the Netra and V120 boxes.

Pros of these systems: great for running Solaris, do not use a lot of power, nice, compact, 1U format, you can connect via serial port and do EVERYTHING including power-on, power-off, reboots, etc. unlike on a PC where this functionality is tough to find and doesn't always work right.

Cons: CPU performance can be less than you might like, you lose some performance if not running Solaris.

Would be happy to answer any other q's you have about these machines.

FreeBSD runs extremely well on the older Sun hardware. It might not server pages as quickly as some of the newer hardware out there, but you will have no stability issues and they truly are workhorses.