* apache goes down and then restarts all by itself!

This is wierd. Apache quits on me all of a sudden. Logging into ensim webppliance verifies this. I do NOT restart apache. After a while, apache is back up. Its been like this for the whole of today. Downtime is between 1-15 minutes per incidence. And uotime is between 1-5 hours.

What is wrong? What can I do?

This is just an educated guess, but... I would check if there is a cron job (under root) to check if the apache process is active. My guess is that there is something like that and it's restarting apache.

su - root
    crontab -l

That will switch to root, then list the crontab.

Check the main apache error log to see if there is any entries related to the "crash".

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Whats the server load like? Could be a crontab problem like mentioned above. Or maybe because of the server load, apache just takes time to respond to a http request!

Sounds like a run away process. Watch your server load and look for a process taking up a lot of resource. Maybe a infinte loop in a PHP file some one has loaded on the server.

no crontab for root

how can i check the server load? and running processes?

thanks for any help....newbie true to my username

Which version of Apache are you running? It's entirely possible that someone is chunking you to death. You might want to look into installing mod_blowchunks or upgrading to 1.2.36 ASAP.
    <!-- boo! -->

If this is Ensim LS 3.1 I've been having problems with apache too, though they seem to have stopped now. Apache froze a few times for no apparent reason and the only way to get it to restart was by rebooting the server. Couldn't find anything in the error logs even suggesting apache had frozen, let allong what had caused it. It may just be some shifty coding in Ensim, which wouldn't suprise me at all as I've had more problems than this one since updating to LS 3.1. Needless to say I'm switching to H-Sphere asap.

Exclamation Use TOP

Originally posted by linuxnewbie
    no crontab for root

how can i check the server load? and running processes?

thanks for any help....newbie true to my username
    Login using SSH or telnet and run: top
    press q to quit
    exit to logoff
    You can use Sysinfo it is a good PHP based program, no install required.

"ps aux" will give you process list
    Also if apache is from rpm package or other binary, then you should compile it by yourself. (http://httpd.apache.org for docs)
    Powered by AMD & FreeBSD.
    "Documentation is like sex:
    when it is good, it is very, very good;
    and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."

thanks for all the help.....im running apache 1.3.19 which came with ensim 3.0
    i have applied all the patched on ensim website.

typing ps aux

gave me a list and cpu and mem usage was very low for all except one which showed:

CPU: 49% MEM: 75

it had username admin16 next to it and to the far right it showed /usr/sbin/perl bf3

So i think its this one thats the problem, how do i decipher the results from ps aux...can someone take a moment to explain?

thanks very much

West Virginia -- The largest unspoiled natural preserve in the Eastern US!
    Originally posted by Miha
    "ps aux" will give you process list
    Also if apache is from rpm package or other binary, then you should compile it by yourself. (http://httpd.apache.org for docs)
    Ensim Webppliance users should NOT attempt to compile Apache on an Ensim box.... (unless that really, really know what they're doing ...)

Ensim uses a RPM for apache that is somewhat "non-standard" apache configuration. Compiling apache _will_ break the Webppliance user interface (unless you know the ends and outs of how Ensim has configured Apache).

Unfortunatley, Ensim doesn't make the src RPM's available, that I know of....
    http://www.WVWebsites.com
    Web Design, Website / Linux Server Management Services, Search Engine Optimization

Originally posted by linuxnewbie
    thanks for all the help.....im running apache 1.3.19 which came with ensim 3.0
    i have applied all the patched on ensim website.

typing ps aux

gave me a list and cpu and mem usage was very low for all except one which showed:

CPU: 49% MEM: 75

it had username admin16 next to it and to the far right it showed /usr/sbin/perl bf3

So i think its this one thats the problem, how do i decipher the results from ps aux...can someone take a moment to explain?

thanks very much
    I'm not sure how Ensim works, but I hate it and I've made small HOWTO on removing ensim (http://re.4-tz.net).
    About 'ps aux' - in standard linux/BSD box if you're logged in shell as simple user (not root) it will give you the list of all processes on the machine unless the 'ps' is not patched! Some unix admins likes to patch 'ps' so it will not show all processes to user, but root of course can view all processes. So one possibility is that ensim also patched 'ps' for simple users and as you said you were logged in as admin16, which is not the same as root. What you should do to view full list of processes is you need to login as root (no admin, but root) and then 'ps aux'
    Here is example of 'ps aux' on my home PC right now (the list is not full for security reasons):

named 702 0.0 0.5 10568 2592 ? S 06:30 0:00 named -u named
    named 704 0.0 0.5 10568 2592 ? S 06:30 0:00 named -u named
    named 705 0.0 0.5 10568 2592 ? S 06:30 0:00 named -u named
    named 706 0.0 0.5 10568 2592 ? S 06:30 0:00 named -u named
    named 707 0.0 0.5 10568 2592 ? S 06:30 0:00 named -u named
    root 727 0.0 0.1 2672 1024 ? S 06:30 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
    root 762 0.0 0.1 2248 1008 ? S 06:30 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/safe_mysqld -
    mysql 802 0.0 0.8 26824 4340 ? S 06:30 0:00 /usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults
    mysql 805 0.0 0.8 26824 4340 ? S 06:30 0:00 /usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults
    mysql 806 0.0 0.8 26824 4340 ? S 06:30 0:00 /usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults
    mysql 816 0.0 0.8 26824 4340 ? S 06:30 0:00 /usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults
    root 818 0.0 0.2 5224 1384 ? S 06:30 0:02 sendmail: accepting connection
    root 837 0.0 0.0 1444 480 ? S 06:30 0:02 gpm -t netmouse -m /dev/mouse
    root 855 0.0 0.1 1592 656 ? S 06:30 0:00 crond

There are 106 processes on my machine right now, most of them 'sleeping'. I'm under user 'miha', but not under user root, I can view processes because I haven't patched 'ps'.

Hope it helps.