Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rate my new computer im gonna get.

Hi,

Im a big gamer and im building the ultimate gaming machine please rate it.

Windows® Vista Business! Not even out yet
    Conspiracy Blue P2 Chassis
    Liquid Cooling
    1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
    AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor
    4GB DDR2 PC-6400 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB
    Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - SLI Enabled
    AGEIA PhysX™ Physics Processing Unit (Worlds first Physics Processing unit)
    300 GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s, 10,000 rpm with 32MB Cache (2 x 150GB)
    1TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7,200 RPM with 2 x 16MB Cache
    2x Blu-ray Disc (BD-ROM) Reader / Writer
    16/48x IDE DVD-ROM Drive - Black - w/Software MPEG-2 Decoder
    Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    28-in-1 Digital Media Reader / Writer
    24" Dell UltraSharp Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with HDCP - Blu-ray Ready!
    Creative® 7.1 THX® GigaWorks™ S750

??????????????

Dear Lord, how much is that thing going to cost??

I reckon around $3-5k?

www.wattproxy.info

Im currently ordering the stuff on wednesday but what do you guys think on this

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB - new Quad Core technology!

or the

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor

cost if its going to be amd based its more like £4-5k (thats sterling 2) But i might not include the blue-ray disc as thats like £470

Get the Intel Core 2 Extreme, and drop the blue ray, first gen drives like that have so many bugs.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

Have you thought of getting something slightly more power efficient? A 1Kw power supply is hardly good for the environment, or your electricity bill...

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Dear Santa, please take a look at this topic and get me something like that
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Only mistakes you making if you are a gamer : 1TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7,200 RPM with 2 x 16MB Cache and Windows® Vista Business!

You need 10K + RPM hdd for best gaming performance, drop the space get yourself a fast hdd, plus 1 TB hdd would cause more heating than 2 fast hdd with half the storage.

Do not use VISTA , just stick with either windows 2k or windows xP pro.

If you do decide to use WindowsXP to start with (get Pro if you want a free Vista upgrade), you'll only be able to use 3Gb of RAM to start. XP doesn't see anything above that to the best of my knowledge. Also since you're going for latest and greatest the newer NVidia boards are out (based on the 600-series chipset). Might as well go for that instead...
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Why are you bothering with half the stuff on your list? You really do not need most of that.

I've edited your list a bit...

Conspiracy Blue P2 Chassis
    Whatever Liquid Cooling you want
    NVIDIA Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Extreme Kentsfield (Quad Core since you demand "ultimate", but dual core would be fine)
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    Dual NVIDIA GeForce 8800's
    Whatever CD/DVD drives you want, just not Blu-ray
    A few HDDs. Don't bother with RAID unless you want RAID-1 for data integrity... for example:
    1x 200GB SATAII 10k RPM System disk
    2x ~300GB SATAII Data disks in RAID-1
    If you need more storage adjust accordingly
    Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    28-in-1 Digital Media Reader / Writer
    24" Dell UltraSharp Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with HDCP - Blu-ray Ready!
    Creative® 7.1 THX® GigaWorks™ S750
    Windows XP Pro
    Some modest power supply - 600 watts max

There. That will not only save you money, but it won't be a power hog and you can upgrade it as time goes on. There is no point in shelling out thousands on a system that in 2 years will be obsolete. There is no reason you need 2GB of RAM, or half the other stuff there. Maybe when Vista comes out you can upgrade, but until then why bother? You will be able to run every game on the market with graphics settings maxed out and enjoy yourself. I have a Core 2 Duo with one GeForce 7900GT, and I can run everything maxed out and enjoy myself. You don't need to drop $5k to have a nice PC.

Alex

You should've gone Core 2 Duo.

By the way, Quad core is worse than Dual Core for gaming adb.

nice build.
    probably better if you went with a conroe :p or wait until AMD brings a stronger CPU our if u prefer amd
    wat ram though? not any 2gb will do... make sure it's faster or the same rate as the CPU, you wouldn't wanna lagg online.
    with the gfx, dual - are you talking about SLi?
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

You'll probably need more than 1000W to run Dual DX10 Cards.

Only mistakes you making if you are a gamer : 1TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7,200 RPM with 2 x 16MB Cache and Windows® Vista Business!

You need 10K + RPM hdd for best gaming performance, drop the space get yourself a fast hdd, plus 1 TB hdd would cause more heating than 2 fast hdd with half the storage.
    He already have a 10000k HDD

If you want to push performance up more, run RAID-1

I'd drop the blu ray though. That is too easy to upgrade in the future, and it just ain't worth it at the momment

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny
    Do not use VISTA , just stick with either windows 2k or windows xP pro.
    If he doesn't get Vista, there's no reason for getting a DX10 card, as DX10 is available only for Vista. It's also much better than 2000 and XP - at least I wouldn't go back from Vista even if someone would pay me.

If you want to save money get your new computer in february, when the prices will drop. New hardware will also come out right after Vista.

Get Core 2 Extreme if you want maximum performance. At the moment there's no better processor than Core 2 Extreme.
    Last edited by MH-Stefan; 12-18-2006 at 07:10 AM.
    MaxterHostsimply different.
    cPanel Shared Hosting, WHM Reseller Accounts, Managed/Self-Managed VPS Hosting and more
    17+ Years of Experience | Enhanced Security | 24x7 Support | 100% Uptime SLA

Pure SSD Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    You should've gone Core 2 Duo.

By the way, Quad core is worse than Dual Core for gaming adb.
    Have any benchmarks to back that up? I know Quad Core doesn't offer that many performance gains (if any at all), but I have not heard it is "worse" for gaming.

Alex

If you're getting the rest of it, might as well go with the 30" monitor instead of the 24"
    Zac Cogswell / CEI
    Formerly known as WiredTree Zac

MaxterHost: If he got a DX9 card, it would be far less powerful, and out-of-date, since all new games will be made to comply with DX10. Plus DX10 cards are only a little extra, so it's worth it. And from what I've seen, DX10 Cards are compatible with XP.

ADB: Of course. Enjoy:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2866&p=15

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    No kidding. That makes sense of course, becuase of the Quad's lower clock speed (and most games are not multi threaded). I thought the Extremes both had the same clock, but guess I was wrong.

Thanks,
    Alex

Do you have to brag I am actually in the process of getting something you stated but like other have stated for gaming hard drives get SCSI 10k RPM's.

I just hope you have a BIG screen to enjoy the quality of it though ( I dont ) but I tend on getting one in the near future.

Why get SCSI?

Western Digital make 10k RPM Raptors.

Just RAID them by striping.

Use the 300+GB hard drives as secondary slaves.

Also, go for an Intel quad processor.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

hi

2 run the 2 graphics cards i will need a 1000w supply and i made a little error iv got that hd on the list for downloads ect but i have got a

300 GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s, 10,000 rpm with 32MB Cach

already. This is were my games will be on. As for the 30" monitor it an extra £3-400. If im loosing blue-ray ill concider this.

Vista, i thought this was gonna be good for gamming, from what iv read.

Quote Originally Posted by wings567
    2 run the 2 graphics cards i will need a 1000w supply
    No you won't. A 600 watt power supply will be fine, unless you plan to run something like 8 hard drives. Just make sure you don't overload one rail.

As for the 30" monitor it an extra £3-400. If im loosing blue-ray ill concider this.
    Or you could loose the Quad Core and go for a CPU just as good for $600 less. Dumping quad core and blu-ray would save you almost $1000, and neither of them you really need.

Vista, i thought this was gonna be good for gamming, from what iv read.
    Yes, but DX10 isn't even done and it won't be out until February. Even then, there will only be 2 or 3 games that run on it, and they will need to get the bugs ironed out. However, I think Microsoft does have a way for you to buy XP then get Vista later. Might want to do some research on that.

Alex

alrite for some to have the money to do it lol v nice spec

However, I think Microsoft does have a way for you to buy XP then get Vista later. Might want to do some research on that.

Yes thats what iv got atm. I have xp pro with the licence for vista to upgrade soon as it comes out. I could try it on a later date when the games support it more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast