What are RAID0, RAID0+1, RAID5, RAID10, etc..?

I noticed that for popular message boards, expert guys on this forum generally suggest this RAID, but I didn't understood.. what is it? And what is the difference between 0, 5, etc?

And, if it is, why is RAID necessary for a server where is running a big forum?

MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thank you, Layer0, but I think I'm not expert enough to completely understand.
    From the graphics on that site, I guess RAID 0,1,2.. are a protocols for data achieving.

How can I know which one is the best performing for my forum?

RAID stands for "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks"

The general gist of the different types of raid are that you either mirror, 'stripe' (spread content among many disks) or some combinaton and pattern thereof to gain either read/write speed or redundancy... and in many cases both.

Raid1 for instance is full mirroring, and it's advantage is that you can go without ever really losing data if you don't have two drives fail at the same time, and data reads are faster. It's the most common type you'll find in servers.

Raid 5 or Raid 10/0+1 are explained by the link, and are also common in servers.

Raid 0 is risky fir servers and isn't common.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Excellent website, tells you everything you need to know about Raid configurations.
    Optimidia - Affordable and reliable web hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by ItBroker
    Thank you, Layer0, but I think I'm not expert enough to completely understand.
    From the graphics on that site, I guess RAID 0,1,2.. are a protocols for data achieving.

How can I know which one is the best performing for my forum?
    RAID1 will generally provide what you need for a forum -- lots of reads, fewer writes for forum software. Make sure it's a hardware controller and not software or motherboard raid.

Pentium 4 3ghz.. Hyperthreaded or Dual Core?

[edit, sorry]

RAID 0 is also known as striping. It divides that data evenly across two (or more) disks, making them look like one big disk. This is great if you need one big (and fast) disk, but if you lose one of the disks, you basically lose everything.

RAID 1 is also known as mirroring. It takes two disks and writes all your data to both disks, so if one disk dies, you can keep right on going. The problem with that is that you have to pay for two disks to store one disk worth of data. One advantage is that since the two disks have the same information, you can read the data from either one. If your database is tied up doing reads from the disk, that can nearly double the performance.

RAID 5 is more complicated. What it does, is it takes three or more disks, splits the data across them, and then adds a checksum (actually, a XOR) so that if you lose any one disk, you can keep going. With RAID-5, three disks gives you two disks worth of space (and four disks gives you three, and so on). Unfortunately, it gives you one disk worth of performance.

Hope that helps.

The raid.com site is useful - if you already know a little bit about RAID. But they list things like RAID-2, -3 and -4, which no-one on the planet actually uses, and RAID-6 and -50, which are certainly useful, but not something you're likely to use in a web server. (And 0+1, which is silly. 10 is always the way to go if your controller supports it.)

Quote Originally Posted by karlkatzke
    RAID1 will generally provide what you need for a forum -- lots of reads, fewer writes for forum software. Make sure it's a hardware controller and not software or motherboard raid.
    Software RAID-1 is pretty good - certainly better than no RAID.

Hardware RAID is better, but you have to pay for it.

Thank you very much PixyMisa, your message clarified me everything I wanted to know!
    ''I wouldn’t mind going to jail if I had three cellmates who played bridge.'' (Warren Buffett)