Looking For Some Help

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help me in my search for a host. I have a message board right now with proboards and I would like to start a new board using SMF. My problem is I am a bit of a computer illiterate and not sure what to look for or how to start all of this. I was told to look for a host that offered Cpanel with Fantastico. I have done alot of searching and reading here and on other sites and I am clued out on how much bandwidth, MG's and GB's I will need. I also don't know what else I should look for in what a host can offer. Forgive me if I sound like an idiot but like I said I don't have alot of knowledge/skills when it comes to all this computer tech talk. Anyone care to help me out here?
    TIA!!

Oh and one more thing....would Hostmaster or AN hosting be worth looking into? I don't want to spend a forturne on hosting, so I would like to keep it under $10 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ande928
    Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help me in my search for a host. I have a message board right now with proboards and I would like to start a new board using SMF. My problem is I am a bit of a computer illiterate and not sure what to look for or how to start all of this. I was told to look for a host that offered Cpanel with Fantastico. I have done alot of searching and reading here and on other sites and I am clued out on how much bandwidth, MG's and GB's I will need. I also don't know what else I should look for in what a host can offer. Forgive me if I sound like an idiot but like I said I don't have alot of knowledge/skills when it comes to all this computer tech talk. Anyone care to help me out here?
    TIA!!
    cPanel and Fantastico aren't required, you were probably just told this by a host or someone who hosts with cPanel or Fantastico. Other installers, such as Installatron, are actually much better than Fantastico. Regardless, control panels don't have much of an impact.

Storage and bandwidth probably wouldn't be too high since you're just starting. I'm sure you could easily get away with under 500mb of storage and 10gb of bandwidth.

Look for a host that offers databases, email accounts, and personalized service. Nothin' like robots responding to your tickets.

HTH,
    Steve

Welcome to WHT ande928! First off, your not an idiot! everyone starts someplace. It sounds like your doing your research which is great. A few things for you to think about. First, cPanel and Fantastico are not required! You were probably told that by a cPanel advocate. There are plenty of other control panels and installers out there that work just as well or better than cPanel/Fantastico.
    When looking for a host I usually recommend people to hang out here and make a list of say half a dozen or so hosts you think will fit your needs. Ask questions here about them, look for reviews both here and Google. Then contact each host with some pre-sales questions. This will show you their response times and the types of responses you'll get. Wind your list down till you find the host you feel is the best for you. Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but doing your homework now, will help prevent having to change hosts in the furture. Best of luck!
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

I think the reason it was suggested was because it would automatically create a message board for me using SMF. Also on my board we post pics and I am assuming that takes up alot of space? I am expecting to generate more traffic through the site if I have my own domain. Right now I have 130 members with over 17,600 posts since April. I am stuck because for one thing, I would like to purchase VBulletin but I keep being told that SMF is just as good and it is free. Which alone is a great incentive because I don't want to spend alot of money.

I think the reason it was suggested was because it would automatically create a message board for me using SMF. Also on my board we post pics and I am assuming that takes up alot of space? I am expecting to generate more traffic through the site if I have my own domain. Right now I have 130 members with over 17,600 posts since April. I am stuck because for one thing, I would like to purchase VBulletin but I keep being told that SMF is just as good and it is free. Which alone is a great incentive because I don't want to spend alot of money.
    Most script installers will have SMF available. Personally, I'd rather download the version straight from the SMF site and upload it myself.

Do you have any idea how much storage and bandwidth you're using now? I wouldn't assume more than 1gb storage or 20gb bandwidth.

vBulletin is much better than SMF.

I don't know what happened but I posted a reply and I got a message saying I had to make 5 posts before I could use the emoticons. Then when I hit the back button my reply was gone?
    Oh well, I just wanted to say thank you all so much for helping me out here. I had no idea that script installers had SMF available. You see how I know, lol.

PE-Steve I have no idea how much storage or bandwidth I am using. Can one tell just from looking at a site and sum it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2Macs
    Welcome to WHT ande928! First off, your not an idiot! everyone starts someplace. It sounds like your doing your research which is great. A few things for you to think about. First, cPanel and Fantastico are not required! You were probably told that by a cPanel advocate. There are plenty of other control panels and installers out there that work just as well or better than cPanel/Fantastico.
    When looking for a host I usually recommend people to hang out here and make a list of say half a dozen or so hosts you think will fit your needs. Ask questions here about them, look for reviews both here and Google. Then contact each host with some pre-sales questions. This will show you their response times and the types of responses you'll get. Wind your list down till you find the host you feel is the best for you. Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but doing your homework now, will help prevent having to change hosts in the furture. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the welcome Jim2Macs. I have done alot of research and I really thought I was getting somewhere. But now that I have been told about the cpanel/fantastico thing, I am back to square one. I was told by also to get my own VPS and then someone else suggested dyndns site, which got me confused. Decisions, decisions. Not sure which way to turn anymore.

Thanks for the welcome Jim2Macs. I have done alot of research and I really thought I was getting somewhere. But now that I have been told about the cpanel/fantastico thing, I am back to square one. I was told by also to get my own VPS and then someone else suggested dyndns site, which got me confused. Decisions, decisions. Not sure which way to turn anymore.
    You definitely don't need a VPS for a forum with 130 members.

Take a look in the offers forum or just browse some threads here. There are many hosting reviews & recommendations from users on this forum. Finding a host isn't too difficult -- just make sure you use common sense and research before you sign up.

After you think you've found a good host, enter their URL without the TLD (ie: if the host is domain.com, enter 'domain' in search). http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

It seems that everytime I try to reply when using a quote, it erases my post and says something about the vbcodes. But i am not even linking to anywhere, so I don't understand what I am doing wrong?

Now that you have 5 posts, that restriction should be lifted shortly....it's in place to stop "drive by" spamming. It's all explained in those pesky rules members agree to when signing up.

oh well that explains it. Thanks bear!

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    You definitely don't need a VPS for a forum with 130 members.

Take a look in the offers forum or just browse some threads here. There are many hosting reviews & recommendations from users on this forum. Finding a host isn't too difficult -- just make sure you use common sense and research before you sign up.

After you think you've found a good host, enter their URL without the TLD (ie: if the host is domain.com, enter 'domain' in search). http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php
    Where are the offers forum, can't seem to find it?

Thanks Nunim!

ande928, keep in mind while your looking through the offers section that your budget of 10 bucks is a good budget and you should find a pretty good host for that price. Watch out for the "oversellers" they'll offer a million GB's for 5 bucks. Stay away from them, IMHO. Looks for a good "shared" hosting plan, as your forum gets more popular you can always upgrade later on. Don't beat yourself up for not understanding everything. Just ask away in here and someone will be glad to help. Most people here would much rather see someone asking questions, then complaining about a lousy host. We get a lot of that here.

If you have an small board you really don't need a huge package, start small and search for a host who can give you upgrade possibilities. Also, as it was previously told, if you can afford it, go for Vbulletin, is a lot better than SMF.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

ande928, keep in mind while your looking through the offers section that your budget of 10 bucks is a good budget and you should find a pretty good host for that price. Watch out for the "oversellers" they'll offer a million GB's for 5 bucks. Stay away from them, IMHO. Looks for a good "shared" hosting plan, as your forum gets more popular you can always upgrade later on. Don't beat yourself up for not understanding everything. Just ask away in here and someone will be glad to help. Most people here would much rather see someone asking questions, then complaining about a lousy host. We get a lot of that here.
    Thank you so much Jim2Macs for helping me out and giving me suggestions. I have read alot about oversellers and if it sounds too good to be true, then I am running from it. lol You answered my question that I have been asking myself, "What kind of hosting plan should I get?". So it is a shared one that I need then? One other question I have is, and I hope I am not repeating myself here, would it make more sense to go with SMF and if the site is doing well, then to graduate to VB?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    If you have an small board you really don't need a huge package, start small and search for a host who can give you upgrade possibilities. Also, as it was previously told, if you can afford it, go for Vbulletin, is a lot better than SMF.
    Thanks Jedito. I really appreciate everyones help with this. As far as getting the VB, I would love to do that, but I think I should first try out the SMF and if my site becomes more popular as time goes on, then I think I will go for the VB.

ande928, here's links to three free forums. There's plenty more out there so just use these for examples. People will tell you to go with this one or that one. Some are easier to configure, some have better security, etc., etc. It's really up to you, but take a look at these and others, and unless there's some serious flaws or you want to do some serious configuring, go with the one you think will suit you.
    http://www.phpbb.com/
    http://www.simplemachines.org/
    http://www.xmbforum.com/
    I think when all is said and done, your going to choose the one you think looks the best and the easiest to figure out.
    Best of luck! And any more questions, keep asking.

ande928, here's links to three free forums. There's plenty more out there so just use these for examples. People will tell you to go with this one or that one. Some are easier to configure, some have better security, etc., etc. It's really up to you, but take a look at these and others, and unless there's some serious flaws or you want to do some serious configuring, go with the one you think will suit you.
    http://www.phpbb.com/
    http://www.simplemachines.org/
    http://www.xmbforum.com/
    I think when all is said and done, your going to choose the one you think looks the best and the easiest to figure out.
    Best of luck! And any more questions, keep asking.

Thanks Jim again! I think I do prefer the SMF than the other 2. Now I need to find a host. Honestly I am sick and tired of looking, lol. I had a few in mind, one being Hostgator but now I am not so sure. I don't even know what the heck to look for, all the gb, bandwidth talk and everything else is like foreign language to me.

I suggest finding a host that has good prices on VPS's just in case you need to expand someday. Moving to a different server company can be a pain if you don't have a lot experience.

edit - When I tried to upgrade with siteground they quoted me 89.99 for their VPS with 256m RAM. I ended up moving to a different host that charged much, much less.
    Last edited by CardsFanInChiTown; 12-17-2006 at 11:28 PM.