Thread: DNS Advice

Question DNS Advice

Hi

Having come away from dedicated hosting companies or Colo I have decided that my company can have its own in-house dedicated server for single web project.

Now this is the current setup...
    Windows 2003 Enterprise (Updated with RS2)

I have one static IP address with two computers attached too the router and have setup the standard ports to be port forwarded to the Dedicated server
    HTTP - 80
    HTTPS - 443
    FTP - 21

Now I have manually setup the DHCP on the dedicated server and the router controls the DHCP. So far everything is fine.
    Default Gateway: Router IP address
    DNS: Router IP address

At the moment the Server is responding to the IP address from a remote machine that’s not setup on the LAN.

Here is the help I need...

I would like the dedicated server to be able to use a Domain Name... my current Domain register has many options... DNS progression... Manual DNS control.

Now do I progress this onto the DNS or use Manual control and point the A Record to the IP which will only allow me to setup two Records (http / ftp) No MX Records.

I would prefer to progress it onto the DNS nameservers however I do not have them setup.

My ISP (business account) has given me a Static IP and has two DNS NameServers... with the Reverse DNS option.

I am unsure where to go from here... do i setup on the dedicated server in DHCP settings with the DNS Nameservers from my ISP? or do I do something with the Reverse DNS from my ISP and then progress it onto the ISP DNS Nameservers?

(I understand I can use a simple redirect from my Domain Register but require the subdomains etc...)

Any help on this issue will fantastic

Anybody have any idea?

At your domain registar, you need to find a place to set the nameservers of the domain, and then input the nameservers you've gotten from the ISP, if those are set up to point towards your domain that is...

What registar are you using?
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

Thanks for your reply

Im using Telivo as there cheap and allways been reliable.
    I have nameserver control and DNS including Manual settings.

Once i use the DNS servers from my ISP (www.zen.co.uk) would it automaticly forward to my IP Address?

Although with my ISP my reverse DNS is my ip address followed by the zen user domain. i do have the option to change this also, but unsure what too?

Well, if your ISP DNS server is set up with your domain name and and the ip in question, then you should be able to use them for it, yes. If i were you i would call them when they open in about 8-9 hours and then ask them if there is an A record on the nameservers you got for the domain, and if not, then ask them to add it You're a paying customer, make them do some work as well Remember to make them add an A record for all subdomains as well, this can be done with a simpel wildcard entry like so:
    Code:
    *       IN      A       XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    where the xxx'es are the ip

After that's done, you can simply point your Telvio domain to those nameservers and it should work within 48 hours

Hope that helps you, else feel free to post back...
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

Once again i thank you for your swift reply with good answers..
    I will be ringing my ISP later today once i wake up from this all nighter lol..

il also reply here once i know how it went to let you know if it worked or didnt.

Thanks