No php5 at Micfo

I'm currently hosted with Micfo, and run a number of MediaWiki sites. Their newest versions use php5, and I'd love to upgrade for the new features and security. However, Micfo only uses php4. Here's the support ticket I put in:

Me: When can we expect our server to be upgraded with php 5.0?

Jason A.: Hello, There isnt any plan to upgrade the php to 5 as it have some issue with compatibility. So its not available right now if it is then we will let you know through our forum.

I'm not trying to be a crank, but frankly -- I don't care what issues you have with compatibility! Fix them!

Does anyone else find this rather absurd? Or just me?

Hi,

Many hosts now adays run PHP4 as primary and PHP5 as CGI for those customers that wish to use php5, such as running files as index.php5 instead of index.php for php4, or just using .htaccess to set .php as php5 by default

Do some research or maybe ask Micfo to think about trying out that method.

Cheers!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

This is pretty common. Many companies still only support PHP4, PHP5 is not exactly standard yet. A number of companies run both PHP4 and PHP5 on servers, so that customers can choose which they would like. Bottom line however, unless it explicitly states PHP5, do not expect it.

I don't find it absurb but rather sensible. If they upgrade the server to php5, there will be a lot of incompatibilities for the other existing users of that server using php4. You may not care, but other users in that server do care when their applications break due to the upgrade.

php6 is out.
    Then again when you signed up they didn't explicitly offer php5 so you can't exactly bash them for it: Next time ask the questions ahead of time.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

That's because some scripts don't work under php5 so they use php4. But php4 is old and php5 is already released stable. I mean why stay with php4 when php6 is out.

Micfo doesn't have a plan to upgrade php5 so you are likely stuck with them under php4. Best if you find a different host that supports php5 then you can use MediaWiki!

Jen
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 12-17-2006 at 07:00 AM.

As a sidenote, I signed up before php5 was stable and used by most hosts, so it wasn't even a consideration then. I just assumed that they followed a normal upgrade path like most other hosts. It wasn't an issue of me not reading, it's an issue of them refusing to upgrade.

Well, if I recall it correctly HostGator has php5 on some of their servers. You could test them if you get tired of Micfo.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by David
    php6 is out.
    Then again when you signed up they didn't explicitly offer php5 so you can't exactly bash them for it: Next time ask the questions ahead of time.
    I really wouldn't qualify alpha/beta snapshots that sometimes get updated multiple times a day as 'out'.

To the OP:

Over the past year, PHP5 has become a rather common addition to many hosts lineups... really, you should not have a lot of trouble finding a quality host that provides it.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 12-18-2006 at 01:22 AM.

Or you could try asking them to add PHP 5 as CGI mode which is what everyone is currently doing.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 12-18-2006 at 01:22 AM.

Depending on the host, you can simply compile PHP5 by yourself and use it.

I helped some site5 users to do that before they had php5.
    You can read some documents found in DreamHost wiki and/or in the site5 forum.

Note: It's better to compile at home and upload binary.
    (But this can increase the amount of headache ....)
    If you compile on the server, you should be careful about the resource consumption.
    It can be too much for less powerful shared hosting servers.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Depending on the host, you can simply compile PHP5 by yourself and use it.

I helped some site5 users to do that before they had php5.
    You can read some documents found in DreamHost wiki and/or in the site5 forum.

Note: It's better to compile at home and upload binary.
    (But this can increase the amount of headache ....)
    If you compile on the server, you should be careful about the resource consumption.
    It can be too much for less powerful shared hosting servers.
    The big problem with this, if you compile at home, is most likely you'd want a staticly linked binary as some things may be different on the server than your home environment (and this may not even be possible if you don't have a linux box at home, I'm not sure). The problem with static linked binaries is they A) take more space and B) generally require a much larger memory footprint (because it has it's own copies of all the libraries needed for it), which yes, could cause an account to be cited for excessive resource usage.

There's so many hosts out there that offer PHP5 as well as quality support, why risk your account (or your sanity!) by trying to compile your own php5 install?
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs