Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 85.90%
  • No

11 14.10%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do aliens exist?

Do you guys think that aliens exist. If yes, where. Here? Do you think they come to earth and abduct people, or do they live to far away. I can't wait to see what people think

You're asking us to play the lottery here, nobody knows if Aliens exist, we don't know where the hell we come from so...

I would like to think there are other civilizations out there but I doubt they visit us here on Earth, if they do they're invisible and we can't see or detect them because a species that advanced would have that capability.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

I'm not looking for conclusive evidence here people. Just your opinion.

It's a mathematical impossibility that there would be no other life in the universe.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    It's a mathematical impossibility that there would be no other life in the universe.
    True if the universe is infinite like scientists think it is.
    Cloud VPS Hosting

I certainly believe there is life on other planets but probably not in our solar system.

As far as them visiting us, abductions, etc., I doubt it very much except for a few possible extra terrestrials that post on WHT. You know who you are.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy
    True if the universe is infinite like scientists think it is.
    Not necessary, there are more galaxies than we can count. Our own which is very very small has something like 100B Stars already. There's already a good chance there are other civilization in the Milky Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin56
    Do you guys think that aliens exist. If yes, where. Here? Do you think they come to earth and abduct people, or do they live to far away. I can't wait to see what people think
    Absoluetly

I completely agree

View this
    http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4...hicksonfg8.jpg

See them circle thingys, were in one of them. You can see the sun is in the middle because it shines, now.. what about the other one's out their in the galaxy? No dobut theirs other living things in thoese universes, don't you think?? Why would our unniverse.. be special from any other universe? If we have living things here and were in a circle thingy, what about the others, their in a circle thingy too.

(Don't understand what I just said, let me have someone else better explain what I mean)
    Not necessary, there are more galaxies than we can count. Our own which is very very small has something like 100B Stars already. There's already a good chance there are other civilization in the Milky Way.
    Yup yup yup, what makes ours so different than the rest. I wounder what kind of things are living in the other milky way thingys. Only one could imagin, eh.

Hold on, chances are by the time our civilization is detected our species will not exist anymore you have to consider that time is an other factor in this. Not only do they have to exist but they have to exist at the same time (if you compare this to the infinite time it's soooo unlikely that if the universe is finite we could currently be the only "intelligent' beings in the universe (in this tiny time frame).

On the other hand if the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite number of galaxies and so an infinite number of species including an unlimited number of species existing at the same time but the distance between them can be overwhelming to the human brain

It's so hard for us to understand the concept of "unlimited space/time" in the sense we always expect a start and an end to things, but that's just because ours brains were not designed to understand that (not yet).
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin56
    [Illegal] aliens rarely abduct people, they typically live fairly close, once they've become [illegal] aliens, but they typically originate from fairly far away.

It's so hard for us to understand the concept of "unlimited space/time" in the sense we always expect a start and an end to things, but that's just because ours brains were not designed to understand that (not yet).
    Or maybe because somethings are our of our mental scope?
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

12. I dont understand why we assume that they are more technologically advanced than us ? Maybe they are not. All we have seen is flying saucers. Maybe thats all they have figured out by now.

Also, we always expect them to attack us. Maybe they just wanna be friends

Just trying to look at everything in a positive way

If they figured out how to get here from wherever they come from, that is fair cause to assume the are more technologically advanced than us.

I think we have some signed up here

My opinion: probably.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by catfished
    a few possible extra terrestrials that post on WHT. You know who you are.
    Sounds about right fellas.

In the enormity of the universe there must be other civilizations, but I don't know how often they can find each other. Advanced technology might make interstellar travel possible, but I don't think it will ever become as ordinary as portrayed in science fiction.
    I voted "No" based on the assumption it refers to extraterrestrials who have visited earth. I don't think they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled
    In the enormity of the universe there must be other civilizations, but I don't know how often they can find each other. Advanced technology might make interstellar travel possible, but I don't think it will ever become as ordinary as portrayed in science fiction.
    I voted "No" based on the assumption it refers to extraterrestrials who have visited earth. I don't think they have.
    Probably because part of it has to do with not needing resources. A lot of explorations that human have done have been for resources. Virtually all the explorers were after trade route or exotic goods. With 100B stars and billion of planets full of natural resources, a civilization of trillions could easily have a very good standard of living and never have raw resource scarcity.

I'm sure there are 'others' out there. After all, this universe is way too big to only has one intelligent being. Heck, even the Milky Way is way too big for the human being.

Probably because part of it has to do with not needing resources. A lot of explorations that human have done have been for resources. Virtually all the explorers were after trade route or exotic goods. With 100B stars and billion of planets full of natural resources, a civilization of trillions could easily have a very good standard of living and never have raw resource scarcity.
    Because if they're advanced, all their buildings, vehicles, and what-have-you, would be powered by a singular source. Probably Anti/Dark Matter, or some sort of Magnetism, because they're 100% efficient, and there isn't a limited source.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    Because if they're advanced, all their buildings, vehicles, and what-have-you, would be powered by a singular source. Probably Anti/Dark Matter, or some sort of Magnetism, because they're 100% efficient, and there isn't a limited source.
    How do you even know they have buildings, cars? Just because our unniverse has one doesnt mean other ones have cars, hell they could be using flying things. They could never sleep. They can be friggin big giant things that never sleep?!? Maybe their clones of each and every one of us in another milkyway, but who knows?!?!!?

Yes, but not super-intelligent evil creatures like films suggest :p

Agreed.

I don't believe aliens are here or have been here.

The best chance of us seeing another kind of life over the next 100 to 200 years is if there is bacteria of some form on Mars.

I'd guess that if the universe is infinite then there are creatures out there that look very very similar to us. It would be pushing it to say there is another me doing the exact same thing right now, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    That means he's an alien!
    Sean

Well, Like Jodie Foster said in "Contact": It'll be an aweful waste of space if we're all alone here
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Yes, I believe that there is other life out there somewhere in the universe. As for the question of that life visiting this planet, I doubt it. Any race so advanced to be able to travel galactic distances would have no interest in a planet inhabited by ape-like creatures that have as much in common with them as we do with an amoeba.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Statistically there is undoubted life out there in the universe. The question is how advanced is it? Does it resemble amoebas, insects, fish, dogs, monkeys, reptiles, dinosaurs or is there intelligent life capable of building tools, farming or building spaceships? Are we as good as it gets?

There is an theory I heard somewhere that we might be the most intelligent being in the universe in that when a race gets advanced as we are they end up destroying themselves setting evolution back to stage 1
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I think the term:

"Anything's possible" would fit this thread quite nicely.
    Sean

I believe I can fly... I believe i can touch the sky!

We can't be lonely with animals on this universe? I'd say there are but not with like circular hovering disks as ships like you see in cartoons. Anybody seen A.I. at the end where the alien dudes are in that square transportational thingy - thats pretty mad
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

I believe in a universe teeming with life. Now what that life is, I don't know.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I wish we could meet a race which is far more advanced than us, yet friendly but not naive. One that would deal with people, not just governments and powerful companies. One that could teach us how to get along with each other, and treat everyone fair and equal.

Alas, I think "intelligence" is inherently evil by nature. The smarter we become, the closer we get to wiping ourselves out. We've been well protected. We have plantes around us like Saturn with outragiously huge gravitational fields which seem to suck in so many big rocks before they head for us... then we have our moon which I'm sure has protected us from big rocks.

On the other hand, that could be a weakness. A powerful alien race wouldnt even have to attack earth. It could simply destroy our moon to wipe us out. Heck, if they wanted man wiped out so they could have our planet, possible it could calculate the moon, remove it from orbit for a while, then place it back. Move in and take over.

One thing about that infinite theory you guys have (and yes, I believe there are other lifeforms out there too) :

You know how many billion or trillion things had to go right for us to evolve the way we did? From a star being made, to certain gases forming a sphere, so it solidifying (and I'm skipping at least a million steps along the way). It just boggles the mind..

After all the discussion for many years, I think they exists. But nobody knows.

oh really.....so with the size of our universe and the fact that scientist haven't an idea of how big it is, you still think theres no other life forms out there?

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    oh really.....so with the size of our universe and the fact that scientist haven't an idea of how big it is, you still think theres no other life forms out there?
    No, he's saying it's "mathematical impossibility that there would be no other life in the universe".

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude
    I wish we could meet a race which is far more advanced than us, yet friendly but not naive. One that would deal with people, not just governments and powerful companies. One that could teach us how to get along with each other, and treat everyone fair and equal.

Alas, I think "intelligence" is inherently evil by nature. The smarter we become, the closer we get to wiping ourselves out. We've been well protected. We have plantes around us like Saturn with outragiously huge gravitational fields which seem to suck in so many big rocks before they head for us... then we have our moon which I'm sure has protected us from big rocks.

On the other hand, that could be a weakness. A powerful alien race wouldnt even have to attack earth. It could simply destroy our moon to wipe us out. Heck, if they wanted man wiped out so they could have our planet, possible it could calculate the moon, remove it from orbit for a while, then place it back. Move in and take over.
    But why would a powerful alien race even attack Earth? Most agressions occur because of scarcity of resources forcing civilizations with mutually exclusive values and cultures to clash, thus resulting in warfare.

The one thing the universe has to offer is more resources than any single species should ever be able to utilize. Even our own solar system offer immense amount of raw resources like water, air, gas, and metals. It would take us a very long time to mine all the asteroids in the solar system alone.

But why would a powerful alien race even attack Earth?
    You didn't watch Independance day?

MEN IN BLACK!!! Seen the commercial? Mercury insurance is run by aliens from the planet mercury!

Most major religions don't speak of aliens. But then again, as big as the universe is... you never know.
    ░▒▓ STOP!
    ░▒▓
    ░▒▓ DO NOT Host with DoNotHosting!!!
    ░▒▓
    RULES, LIMITS, and MORE rules.

In a scientific and logic way I say: With the size of the universe how can someone think that somewhere out there there isn't more life? Of course it exists. But maybe not as you've seen in movies.

On earth we find life anywhere, even on the most inospit places. With thousands of planets of course there must be life in some of those.

Even a religious person has to think: why God would give the exclusive to the human race?

We must be humble. I know I am. We are such a young race, that is only starting to understand something.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Hmm, well. So far we are having Goose, Turkey, Beef and Ham on Christmas day. I say bring on the aliens, maybe they have some more animals for me to eat.
    Last edited by Solidhost-John; 12-21-2006 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelt a word wrong
    John Strong - SolidHost COO
    http://www.SolidHost.com
    SolidHost offers fully managed Linux and Windows VPS's in the Netherlands , with Plesk, cPanel, Directadmin and Helm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast