Hybrid View

WATCHING AVI on standalone dvd players?

I have a couple of avi files that I would like to watch on my standalone dvd player..

This is the DVD player I have:
    Philips DVP642
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP642.../dp/B000204SWE

Is it possible to do this without converting anything?

I'm pretty sure you have to convert to MPEG-2 or whatever format DVD players recognize. There are free tools available and conversion guides so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Best case scenario you burn the avi file to dvd and it works in the player. Windows XP comes with windows movie maker. You could probably convert it with that if you have it.

Are you sure you need the dvd player? Most desktops and laptops have a composite svideo out port on the video card that you can connect to a tv set.

Moved to Computers and Peripherals.

It depends how the video was encoded. AVI files can take many formats (DivX and XviD being popular). My Sony DVD player is DivX certified yet I've never managed to get anything to play on it, not that there is much decent content (legal) to try out.

Best option is to just test it out, it's only one CD-R, and there is no converting to do, just burn the file straight to the CD/DVD. If it doesn't work the only option is to convert it to DVD format, which will take hours and normally reduces the quality of the video.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ensol
    I have a couple of avi files that I would like to watch on my standalone dvd player..

This is the DVD player I have:
    Philips DVP642
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP642.../dp/B000204SWE

Is it possible to do this without converting anything?

The above plays xvid/divx files just fine, as well a mpeg/mpeg-2 files. It will play some wmv files as well (I've got this player, its nice).
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

If you have Nero Vision (or Vision Express), then it should be able to burn DVD videos and it will do all the converting necessary. You should then have no problems.

Only problem with that is it takes hours to convert, and massively increases the size of the file, and at the same time is likely to cause a drop in quality.
    Steve