Site1 is PHP and Site2 ASP.NET

Hi,
    I need help to decide what to do in this case. I have developed a site with PHP and another site with ASP.NET. I am planning to host more sites like these (some PHP sites and some ASP.NET).

I am wondering if shall I have 2 seperate servers (Windows + Linus)? 2 VPS? or what for issure best performance?

Thanks,

HAAAK

The best thing is to get a linux server and run asp sites using mono and xsp,

Click here
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

Quote Originally Posted by Navid1
    The best thing is to get a linux server and run asp sites using mono and xsp,

Click here
    Actually thats very wrong. There is nothing that can fully support ASP.NET except Windows. Get a Windows host and it'll cover both ASP.NET and PHP, and there is no performance loss with PHP and Windows.

Good luck with your search!

acctually thats not entirely true. mono now supports all of asp.net 1.1

however most people want asp.net 2.0 windows is the way forward on this one

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Actually thats very wrong. There is nothing that can fully support ASP.NET except Windows. Get a Windows host and it'll cover both ASP.NET and PHP, and there is no performance loss with PHP and Windows.

I have to agree. If someone wants to run PHP and .NET without maintaining two servers its the best to choose Windows as operating system. Mono is certainly a good Unix implementation of .NET but the reference implementation is still coming from Microsoft, just as most .NET developer tools.

Couldn't have said it better. There is no need to waste money where money shouldn't be wasted and getting a linux solution and windows solutions is certainly wasting money when you can have both on one platform!
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Dear All,
    Thanks for sharing this topic. Just to clarify the issue, I am going to run ASP.NET 2.0 / AJAX and maybe soon will be usig .NET framework 3.0!!

But I would agree with you guys who recommended to have only one Windows server with PHP support. But Windows server won't use CPanel am I right? since CPanel is most popular to the customers.

Now, What is the specification for the Windows server you recommend to run ASP.NET 2.0 and PHP5?
    Should PHP Apache installed by the data center or I can do so remotely?

Thank you all.

You can run PHP 5 straight off IIS so there is no need for Apache.

It mainly depends on your website traffic.
    You can use a Celeron server (or a shared hosting account) if you have only 100 visitors in a day.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Thank you all,
    Ok, here is the details of my case. I will run ASP.NET 2.0 and the sites will be using heavily SQL Server 2005 but not expecting more than 100 per day. Now, the other sites that use PHP mostly are vBulletin forums and thier visitors are not less than 500 per day!!!

My undrstanding untill now, I can't use Mono because it will neither fully support ASP.NET 2.0 nor Ajax as well. So, I should go for Windows server.

Again, what will be the good specification for this Windows server? Who will install PHP support? me or the host? etc..

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by HAAAK
    Thank you all,
    Ok, here is the details of my case. I will run ASP.NET 2.0 and the sites will be using heavily SQL Server 2005 but not expecting more than 100 per day. Now, the other sites that use PHP mostly are vBulletin forums and thier visitors are not less than 500 per day!!!

My undrstanding untill now, I can't use Mono because it will neither fully support ASP.NET 2.0 nor Ajax as well. So, I should go for Windows server.

Again, what will be the good specification for this Windows server? Who will install PHP support? me or the host? etc..

Thanks,
    Hmm, it appears you really don't have much experience with running a server as of yet. I would recommend you purchase a Windows reseller account which provides you with a quick solution and less headache. With a control panel your best bet is either HELM or DNP.

Give Mosso.com a try, They've the Linux and Windows TrueHybrid technology. You can host both Linux and Windows files on the same account.
    It's for $100/month no need to get two servers.

Hmm, it appears you really don't have much experience with running a server as of yet. I would recommend you purchase a Windows reseller account which provides you with a quick solution and less headache. With a control panel your best bet is either HELM or DNP.
    Plesk for Windows would be fine also for this purpose.

Dear MRRadic,
    Yes, I have no experience on running Windows server. But I have enough experience with Linux for the past few years. This is the conflict I am facing, ASP.NET programer with Linux server administration experience! what a dilema!! lol

Dear EGawish.
    Mosso.com looks interesting.. I should look for people who try them.

Regards,

You can also look at CartikaHosting.com, where you can do dual-platform hosting.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by HAAAK
    Dear MRRadic,
    Yes, I have no experience on running Windows server. But I have enough experience with Linux for the past few years. This is the conflict I am facing, ASP.NET programer with Linux server administration experience! what a dilema!! lol

Dear EGawish.
    Mosso.com looks interesting.. I should look for people who try them.

Regards,
    Windows and Linux are two completely different worlds. As mentioned, go with a Reseller account and give yourself time to adjust to the new world -- in the meantime I would suggest you pick up a very cheap Windows VPS that you can play with. This way you'll be saving yourself a lot of money, and when you're finally ready to take the leap to dedicated, you'll have experience with Windows Servers!

DearRadic,
    I was so close to take RHCE course and certification in Lunix. But my string programming skills in ASP.NET made me worried to loose it. I will take your advice and look for Window VPS supporting PHP and see how it goes.

Thanks,

This is exactly what mosso was built for. I use them and would recommend them. The only issue is .net 2.0 is not live yet. They say it should be supported in next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by froggerd
    This is exactly what mosso was built for. I use them and would recommend them. The only issue is .net 2.0 is not live yet. They say it should be supported in next few weeks.
    Many servers were built for this, not just Mosso, since many Windows hosts support both .NET 2.0 and PHP. In fact many Windows hosts have been supporting .NET 2.0 a while now, considering the length of time it has been on the market.

To run asp / .net / php on the same website is very common place on windows. Calling it 'Hybrid Technology' is a nice marketing ploy but there is nothing new about running PHP / MYSQL right alongside .NET 2.0 / MSSQL. All you need to do is install these. Ignore the marketing hype .