Gansevoot, New York

FreeBSD Server set up help

I have a FreeBSD 4.5 server that has only the OS loaded. I was wondering if anybody could let me know what all is required to be installed to operate a web server. I want to run it as a name based virtual host with e-mail and other functions for my customers. I have been playing around with it for about a month so I can get used to using the OS. I just need to know what ports to install to get it up and going. Thank you in advance.

Ports are:
    1. Web Server: apache
    2. Mail: Sendmail (usually it is already installed on the servers) + Cyrus IMAP
    3. /usr/libexec/ftpd as a ftp server
    Powered by AMD & FreeBSD.
    "Documentation is like sex:
    when it is good, it is very, very good;
    and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."

cd /usr/ports/www/apache13
    make install clean

I'd recommend you read the excellent documentation on the Apache site (it will also be installed on your machine)

Note, the above port is not the most recent version but I think you should focus on learning at this point -- although if this server is on the public side of the Internet then (for security reasons) you should go download the latest 1.3x source, configure, build and install that version as soon as you are able to. Read the readmes and install text and you should be able to puzzle it out.

Start plugging away, you have a long way to go before you are ready to over email and web hosting.

If you are very new to unix server admin, you need to decide what is more important - taking the time to learn and understand how it all works, or starting to generate revenue. Myself, I'm a fan of the former.

Once you have the learning down, you can make intelligent decisions as to whether you want to utilize 'control panel' software and other admin automation tools, or not.

Oddly enough, vhosting web sites is dirt simple; email less so. You'll need to think that one through. There are some pre-made solutions for this - some like the 'freebsd qmail toaster' (do a google search on that) - or you can go down a number of other routes.

Finally you also need to think about the scope of your enterprise - if its a few sites on a single machine, that's one thing - but if you are aiming for hundreds or thousands of clients, multiple machines over time, you should think through how you will manage that in the long run.

first update your kernel and source with cvsup (4.6-stable)

update your ports collection

and THEN start installing things