site building software

Is there a good simple user friendly site building software? dreamweaver is way too hard for me. the software that comes with tripod is too limiting. Is yahoo's better? any stand alone softwares?

There are many, Rvsitebuilder is a piece of cake, you're a bit limited in what you do, but indeed is very easy to work with.
    Many hosts do offer Sitebuilder software with their packages.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

There's probably tons you could get. Check out your local office supply store or on the net. NVU I know is free, but is limited.
    As Jedito said, probably the easiest is using an online sitebuilder, most hosts offer one now. Just choose one of the templates and fill in the blanks. Easy.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

yes rvsitebuilder is nice - we use it for some time now.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

RV Site builder is one of the simplest I have seen. Choose a category, then choose a template, Enter your text and your done.

However as already said its quite limited.

Have you thought about using a CMS? Some people find them easy.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Quote Originally Posted by brianluce
    Is there a good simple user friendly site building software? dreamweaver is way too hard for me. the software that comes with tripod is too limiting. Is yahoo's better? any stand alone softwares?
    Read some tutorials on Dreamweaver. You can create far better web designs with it and more functionality IMO. However, if you want to throw up a decent looking site there is as stated RVSiteBuilder there is also Soholaunch.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Try to use Forntpage. Also you can find some sheap or fre templates and can easily edit them with Frontpage.

Moved to Web Design & Content.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Not sure if this is anything like what you're looking for, but I don't really use WYSIWYG. But on H-sphere there's a little sitebuilder called SiteStudio with lots of flash templates and quite good functionality i think. I think it looks better than the usual raw things like frontpage. www.psoft.net has a demo. If you want something on your computer, yeah frontpage I guess, but like I said the results aren't too good. If you like the graphic approach better maybe Photoshop and Imageready could help. There you just draw it and fill the content in later. http://www.tutorialized.com has some good tutorials on making sites in it. =) Takes some time to get used to but the basic site without extreme shading and all shouldn't be that hard and I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to help a bit. Or maybe try a content management system with an ice free template?

I am in the process of learning with the coffeecup software. I like it. It takes a little while to figure things out, but I was able to learn the basics in an hour or two. It was fun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nafadya
    Try to use Forntpage. Also you can find some sheap or fre templates and can easily edit them with Frontpage.
    FrontPage is no more.... it was replaced.

It is now Expression Web: http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/

Yes, I would use the product above and visit two sites for free CSS templates:

http://www.oswd.org/

http://www.openwebdesign.org/

http://www.zymic.com/ -- This has some free... but most are like $5.... The first two sites I posted should be enough though.... plus, I see nothing wrong with paying someone $5 to remove the copyright....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Can I ask why you don't want to learn HTML and CSS?

They are really not to difficult or is it the easy of use of a WYSIWYG type editor? Being able to just move things around with a mouse?

I don't believe in things like WYSIWYG editors when it comes to web page building unless it is really just text data.

I use Notepad++ for my HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/MySQL and only use a WYSIWYG editor for adding blog posts which is set for simple things like Bold, Italic and links.

I've used dreamweaver in the past but found it was not good enough to line things up in the way I wanted it to.
    SharkBait
    Web Dev: php, MySQL, HTML, XHTML, JS, CSS
    www.DyanmicShark.com - Coming Soon!
    My Blog:www.tyleringram.com

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait
    Can I ask why you don't want to learn HTML and CSS?

They are really not to difficult or is it the easy of use of a WYSIWYG type editor? Being able to just move things around with a mouse?

I don't believe in things like WYSIWYG editors when it comes to web page building unless it is really just text data.

I use Notepad++ for my HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/MySQL and only use a WYSIWYG editor for adding blog posts which is set for simple things like Bold, Italic and links.

I've used dreamweaver in the past but found it was not good enough to line things up in the way I wanted it to.
    I could think of a 100 reasons why someone would not want to learn html or CSS... maybe they want a site, but don't have the funds to have it built... I've been there, done that. I think the great thing with FrontPage is that it will slowly get you into html and css... it has a way of converting a newbie....

I've used a WYSIWYG editor since '97 without any major issues... I don't see the big deal. I think this is one of those situations where you use what works for you... no wrong or right way... only different ways.

Like I told my teacher in college, Frontpage does not suck, people that use it do... in addition, my site was built with frontpage, but it still gets tons of sales. Plus it hits in many searches in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.

Do I use a frontpage boiler? Not on your life... Do I use notepad... yes, I do. If you work with Frontpage, you will find yourself in notepad sooner or later.

*Frontpage is not Expression Web.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    I could think of a 100 reasons why someone would not want to learn html or CSS... maybe they want a site, but don't have the funds to have it built... I've been there, done that. I think the great thing with FrontPage is that it will slowly get you into html and css... it has a way of converting a newbie....

I've used a WYSIWYG editor since '97 without any major issues... I don't see the big deal. I think this is one of those situations where you use what works for you... no wrong or right way... only different ways.

Like I told my teacher in college, Frontpage does not suck, people that use it do... in addition, my site was built with frontpage, but it still gets tons of sales. Plus it hits in many searches in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.

Do I use a frontpage boiler? Not on your life... Do I use notepad... yes, I do. If you work with Frontpage, you will find yourself in notepad sooner or later.

*Frontpage is not Expression Web.
    Those are valid reasons.

I guess it's just that I think if you want to learn how to create something, it would be best to learn the fundamentals of it. *shrug*

Sure I dislike things like Frontpage. I guess it is because I've seen the most hideous websites out there that were done in Frontpage and that is the impression it left with me.

Though using Frontpage and then going to simpletext, notepad, notepad++ etc is a good thing and I like to encourage it.

Some of the people here at work use Frontpage for their little bookmark personal sites they use for their computers. It's easy to use and they don't need to know the langauge. So I see how that can be good as well.

SharkBait
    Web Dev: php, MySQL, HTML, XHTML, JS, CSS
    www.DyanmicShark.com - Coming Soon!
    My Blog:www.tyleringram.com

Frontpage does not suck
    Actually, it DOES suck. It basically forces the use of extensions that are mandatory on the servers end...Dreamweaver doesnt do that. I think MS has seen the light though with Expressions as it uses no extensions that are needed by the server.

Dreamweaver may seem difficult, but if you get in and play with it you will be pleased with the results and power you have at your fingertips. I forced 6 of my clients off of FrontSlave. They all said Dreamweaver was too hard, now they LOVE it!

If you want the CoffeeCup software, as was mentioned, LunarPages offers it for free ($700 worth) if you buy the basic plan. To be honest, I signed up with them for that

But you would be better with DreamWeaver. If you are having problems with the tutorials, read a good book. Go to Amazon and search for one with good reviews. You can't go wrong...

Good luck!
    Two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors, previously a super-affiliate.

frontpage is the most simple and the best site building software. my site is completely build my frontpage only
    http://Smilemaker.uk.to
    (More than 800 readymade scripts)
    http://Bestforum.uk.to/uk/forum

LOL...if you think its the BESTEST....better find something quick as MS doesn't think so and is in the process of EOL'in it...Papa's got a brand new bag...errrr a piece of software

Quote Originally Posted by brianluce
    Brian, I've got an idea for you. Visit Download.com or Cnet.com and goto the search option. If you need to refine your search option, make sure its under Software -> Web Tools (anything that you would label a web design program).

Next, once you've refined your search, see if you can search by reviews. On this website you will find over 50 programs all tailored for different things and I am absolutely sure you will find a program easier than most notable WYSIWYG editors.

Let me know if you find what your looking for!
    .: Poster powered by DataBeyond.com:.
    .: Web Design & Development | Identity & Print | Multimedia :.