Share your experience with Stargate.com - mine was not good

I've been using Stargate to host my website for three years now (I know, I know, what took me so long to leave!). I didn't have much trouble with down time for my website (it did happen occasionally and sometimes for days at a time).

But email seems to be a technology beyond their comprehension. I had monthly if not weekly trouble with my email. When I asked for support (email only, I defy you to talk to someone at Stargate) I was brushed off with "we're working on it" or "there's no problem on this end". I got different and conflicting answers from different tech. support people.

I can't count the number of times they made changes on their end without notifying me (changing DNS etc). I found out only by contacting tech. support to find out why I was having trouble.

In conclusion, Do not use this company! Run the other way as fast as you can!

(I know, I know, what took me so long to leave!). I didn't have much trouble with down time for my website (it did happen occasionally and sometimes for days at a time)
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience there. However the above statement should have raised a giant red flag the very first time it happened. I hope your next host can prove to be more worth your while.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Your absolutely right HostFrog. Just being lazy.

I'm now contemplating:

Midphase
    Host Gator
    Clooknet
    Lunarpages

The most important thing to me is email reliability. I've got about 400MB of stuff on my site now and don't need much bandwidth. I don't do too much fancy stuff. A few scripts for client log-in and password protection.

Whoever I pick, I have no doubt the experience will be better!

Whoever you choose, let us know how you like the service and support. HostGator sure has a good rep around these parts
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

One of the hosts in your list oversells by huge margins (I am sure you know which one), be careful not to get the same service you had with Stargate. You yourself said you don't need much space and bandwidth, more resources + cheaper bandwidth = less (quality service) for the most part.

Lev,

Sorry, I don't know which one you are referring to (but I'd like to). I'm a small business owner, I'm not knowledgeable about the web hosting world. I'm relying on sites like this one (which I'm hoping is an independent site) to help me make my decision.

It's too much damn work for me to investigate the hundreds (thousands?) of web hosting services on my own.

Its funny, I have the same challenge in my business (architecture), it's tempting to take on as much work as you can but you eventually get to a point when you can't provide good service to everyone.

Please let me know your thoughts on the companies I listed in private if you would rather not make them publicly.

Hi!
    Yup..I'm having difficulties with stargate as well..billing ones. I'll not go further until I've spoke to counsel about this..I was hoping it wouldn't come to this..but it has.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1
    Hi!
    Yup..I'm having difficulties with stargate as well..billing ones. I'll not go further until I've spoke to counsel about this..I was hoping it wouldn't come to this..but it has.

Bryon
    Bryon,

I am curious about you billing issues? Could you elaborate? or send me a PM? I am not aware of anything.

Tom
    Thomas.chaffin@qtsdatacenters.com
    312-877-0453 (m) alt: 630-456-6948 (m)
    QTS Data Centers Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by adamjohnson303
    I've been using Stargate to host my website for three years now (I know, I know, what took me so long to leave!). I didn't have much trouble with down time for my website (it did happen occasionally and sometimes for days at a time).

But email seems to be a technology beyond their comprehension. I had monthly if not weekly trouble with my email. When I asked for support (email only, I defy you to talk to someone at Stargate) I was brushed off with "we're working on it" or "there's no problem on this end". I got different and conflicting answers from different tech. support people.

I can't count the number of times they made changes on their end without notifying me (changing DNS etc). I found out only by contacting tech. support to find out why I was having trouble.

In conclusion, Do not use this company! Run the other way as fast as you can!
    I apologize for any issues you may have had. If there is anything I can do, please feel free to contact me at tomc@stargate.com

-Tom
    QTS Data Centers Chicago

Sorry, I don't know which one you are referring to (but I'd like to). I'm a small business owner, I'm not knowledgeable about the web hosting world. I'm relying on sites like this one (which I'm hoping is an independent site) to help me make my decision.
    Ok, well, you listed four companies. Compare the prices/bandwidth offers on each one of them. You will find that one company is offering substantially more than any other for the same price, that company is MidPhase. Any time you find a company offers more than the other, you've got to wonder why the others do not go out of business, right? Because other companies make up for it in service (things like uptime and support), which would have to mean that MidPhase lacks that service in certain areas, at least as compared to these companies.

LunarPages is also overselling by a substantial amount. They've did not always oversell like this but they do now and if you compare their reviews from now and past, their ratings have decreased (although there are positive reviews even now).

You've said yourself that you do not need much space and bandwidth, so why go with a company that offers the world for a cheap price when you know there has to be some drawback. Go with what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargate.com
    I apologize for any issues you may have had. If there is anything I can do, please feel free to contact me at tomc@stargate.com

-Tom
    Too little too late Tom, I'm already gone. I'm sure you are not personally responsible for the challenges I had at Stargate but you are here representing the company so you get the heat.

Do a search within this web forum, it should be obvious you've got serious problems at Stargate. If you did a better job taking care of customers while you had them you wouldn't be here trying to perform web host triage.

A couple of the highlights of my experience:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting
    Stargates Customer support.

Yes we are aware of the issue and working on it, I have no ETA at this time.

Please let me know if I can be of
    futher assistance.

We appreciate your business!

Regards

Bob
    Stargate Customer Support

Or this one....

Hello,

Thank you for contacting

The email server your on is being upgraded to Smartermail, that should help
    resolve your issues. I have no ETA but it should be by early next week.

futher assistance.

Regards

Bob

Or this one...

We are working on our networking issues. Please note alot of our services are
    back online and we are working on the issues very hard to get your site and
    services back online.

How about this one...

There is currently a known issue with the server you are on that we are
    currently working to resolve causing messages to take longer than expected to
    deliver. This issue is hoped to be resolved over the coming days. Sorry for
    the inconvenience and if you have any further questions or concerns, please do
    let us know.

Mike
    Stargate Tech Support

etc. etc. etc. I looked in my "Stargate" folder (in my yahoo mail, I use yahoo mail to contact tech support since my email is always having problems!) and for a period of 18 months I've got 82 emails to/from Stargate. 82! I don't ever want to have to talk to my web hosting service. I just want it to work!

Best of luck to you Tom, hopefully you can either turn things around there or maybe I'm unique and the rest of your customers are happy and content.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Ok, well, you listed four companies. Compare the prices/bandwidth offers on each one of them. You will find that one company is offering substantially more than any other for the same price, that company is MidPhase. Any time you find a company offers more than the other, you've got to wonder why the others do not go out of business, right? Because other companies make up for it in service (things like uptime and support), which would have to mean that MidPhase lacks that service in certain areas, at least as compared to these companies.

LunarPages is also overselling by a substantial amount. They've did not always oversell like this but they do now and if you compare their reviews from now and past, their ratings have decreased (although there are positive reviews even now).

You've said yourself that you do not need much space and bandwidth, so why go with a company that offers the world for a cheap price when you know there has to be some drawback. Go with what you need.
    I notice you left out Hostgator but decided to accuse two of the others of massive overselling. Any reason for that? 200GB disk space and 2TB of bandwidth for $14.95 a month is as large as (and in one case, larger than) the two you pointed out.

Simon

Too little too late Tom, I'm already gone. I'm sure you are not personally responsible for the challenges I had at Stargate but you are here representing the company so you get the heat.

Do a search within this web forum, it should be obvious you've got serious problems at Stargate. If you did a better job taking care of customers while you had them you wouldn't be here trying to perform web host triage.

A couple of the highlights of my experience:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting

Yes we are aware of the issue and working on it, I have no ETA at this time.

futher assistance.

Regards

Bob

Or this one....

Hello,

Thank you for contacting

The email server your on is being upgraded to Smartermail, that should help
    resolve your issues. I have no ETA but it should be by early next week.

futher assistance.

Regards

Bob

Or this one...

We are working on our networking issues. Please note alot of our services are
    back online and we are working on the issues very hard to get your site and
    services back online.

How about this one...

There is currently a known issue with the server you are on that we are
    currently working to resolve causing messages to take longer than expected to
    deliver. This issue is hoped to be resolved over the coming days. Sorry for
    the inconvenience and if you have any further questions or concerns, please do
    let us know.

Mike
    Stargate Tech Support

etc. etc. etc. I looked in my "Stargate" folder (in my yahoo mail, I use yahoo mail to contact tech support since my email is always having problems!) and for a period of 18 months I've got 82 emails to/from Stargate. 82! I don't ever want to have to talk to my web hosting service. I just want it to work!

Best of luck to you Tom, hopefully you can either turn things around there or maybe I'm unique and the rest of your customers are happy and content.

I wasn't looking to upset you further or save your account. I was being sincere.

I'm not here to perform "triage", I'm here to be helpful to the entire community. Stargate related or not.

Obviously, I am not happy with any negative comments, but I think you would be hard pressed to find any company, on this board, that has not had a negative comment from time to time.

Best of luck.

-Tom
    QTS Data Centers Chicago