Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    Please Linux-tech, dont buy it then, please . Please stop comments about it if you dont want to buy the Premium membersip
    People can comment on it if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    People can comment on it if they want.
    It gets rather repetitive and boring if all they say is the same thing over and over again. I see no problem with people commenting, however when all people are saying is "It isn't worth the money and the features it provides are useless", nothing really helpful is going to take place.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    It gets rather repetitive and boring if all they say is the same thing over and over again. I see no problem with people commenting, however when all people are saying is "It isn't worth the money and the features it provides are useless", nothing really helpful is going to take place.

Alex
    Not true. The more people that voice there opinion on that same thing the more WHT/iNet will recognize it as a problem and try to fix the problem.

Not true. The more people that voice there opinion on that same thing the more WHT/iNet will recognize it as a problem and try to fix the problem.
    I agree. I don't see anything that makes me want to become a premium member but of course, that's just my opinion.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Considering there are quite a few who have already purchased, and others who have plans to purchase it, it seems to be doing quite well. Why change something that is doing well?
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

I love how all the "Community Liaisons" band together for this.

Quite simply, if there are enough people repeating the same thing then there's a problem, how you choose too ignore and and how you choose to display your arrogance is a complete different issue. Neither of which is impressive.

I am a fairly new member here, had my account for some time, but pop my head in and out every so often as I need help.

From my perspective as a fairly new member / reader not poster of the forums the Premium Membership apart from a T-Shirt really offers me nothing. And when I read about the previous setup where you received discounts etc, and they are not there now, it once again represents poor value. Apart from paying money to gain access to a small number of forums, what is it exactly that I would be getting for my $50.

I may be wrong and not understand what's on offer, but from where i'm looking now i can't see anything that represents $50 worth.

Regards,

Joel

Sorry, I have to add this. So many people who complained and moaned over WHT becoming corporate with the skyscraper ad have premium banners. A bit of an irony guys, way to stick to your guns there

I do, however, realize that you have a business to run and to the uneducated WHT browser it'll appear to be more trustworthy, etc.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Theodore
    I love how all the "Community Liaisons" band together for this.

Quite simply, if there are enough people repeating the same thing then there's a problem, how you choose too ignore and and how you choose to display your arrogance is a complete different issue. Neither of which is impressive.
    Many more people have purchased premium than the few who are complaining about it. It might appear to be several, but it is the same small group continually complaining.

As a current iNET customer, there's nothing in the Premium Membership offer that interests me. They had a much better offer last time, but the advertising discounts probably proved too costly, so they're gone from the current Premium Membership offer. If they included something like being able to highly customise how WHT looked, and removed all the banner ads, then that would be something of real value. I would pay for that in a heartbeat.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    As a current iNET customer
    I didn't know that you're a current iNET customer. Did you decide to become a Premium member after all?

...there's nothing in the Premium Membership offer that interests me.
    Hmmm. I think I've read that somewhere before. More than once IIRC.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    I didn't know that you're a current iNET customer. Did you decide to become a Premium member after all?
    No, there's no value for me in the Premium thing. As a WHT member, (and a very active on at that) I am iNET's customer. They deliver me a forum and I pay for that forum by their ads displaying on my screen. They are my provider and I am their customer. I don't need to fork out $50 for the Premium thing to become their customer. I am their customer right now.

I always found that negative/critical feedback was far more valuable than positive feedback. I love/hate getting negative/critical feedback, and although it can hurt the ego, if it's listened to and taken to heart, it can be of huge benefit. That's been my experience, and not everyone views such feedback in a positive light.

Yes but it doesnt ever hurt to do a little more to help keep the place going.. (If i had a way of giving them $$$ i certainly would (And every site im on too.))

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

No, there's no value for me in the Premium thing. As a WHT member, (and a very active on at that) I am iNET's customer. They deliver me a forum and I pay for that forum by their ads displaying on my screen. They are my provider and I am their customer. I don't need to fork out $50 for the Premium thing to become their customer. I am their customer right now.
    Or are they your customer? They have provided you with (forgot to check your post count) a gazillion free ads via your signature which, by your own admission, helped substantially to build your business.

I always found that negative/critical feedback was far more valuable than positive feedback. I love/hate getting negative/critical feedback, and although it can hurt the ego, if it's listened to and taken to heart, it can be of huge benefit. That's been my experience, and not everyone views such feedback in a positive light.
    Personally, I make a distinction between simply negative feedback and constructive feedback. I learned years ago that when I saw problems, my comments were received much better if I included viable suggestions on what to do about the problems. I also learned to recognize that some situations that aren't ideal for everyone simply can't be made ideal for everyone.

Of course, constructive negative feedback can be accompanied by positive feedback too.

In this situation, I really don't understand why some people feel that they have to repeatedly voice why they don't like the Premium memberships. Sure, they aren't for everyone. They were created for people who want what they offer. I'm not expecting to use a lot of the services offered at WHT, but I don't go on and on complaining about, for example, dedicated servers being a waste of money when I'm not even in the market for one. They aren't a waste of money for those who want one, just as Premium memberships aren't a waste of money for those who want them.

Why not live and let live.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Yes but it doesnt ever hurt to do a little more to help keep the place going..
    iNet doesn't need our "help" to keep it going. It's not a small one person based forum operation, it's a business conglomerate which owns not just WHT, but dozens of other sites out there. They're in the business to make money, and that's fine for the most part. However when it comes down to it, throwing away money (which this current membership asks) is never good.

In this situation, I really don't understand why some people feel that they have to repeatedly voice why they don't like the Premium memberships
    Perhaps you need to re-read the thread.
    The number of individuals stating they DON'T like the change is vastly outnumbered by the number of individuals stating that they DO like the change, and telling those who don't to basically shut up and keep quiet.

At the end of the day, it's really simple. When purchasing something anything, a smart individual will look at the cost, and the benefits. If the cost outweighs the benefits, then clearly, it's something that shouldn't be purchased. In THIS, anyone can clearly see that yes, it does outweigh the benefits.

So, let's look at this from a realistic point of view here. For $50, you get a t-shirt. That's all, a silly t-shirt. Oh yeah, you get to be a member of the exclusive "premium members" club, but seeing how well the forum thing worked out in the past, yeah, that'll really work there. Of course, there's the 1k messages that you get now (gee, more space). If you need that many private messages, then you need to clean something out, seriously. 200 is more than what most should ever need. Hell, 200 will cover the amount of time I've been here very nicely (4 years).

Cost? $50/yr . Benefits? None, really . Oh yeah, you get the added benefit of "feeling good" because you threw your money at a rather big business' feet, but what do you have to show for it? A t-shirt? Whoopeeee! In the past, they've sucked anyways.

IF iNet was a not for profit organization, then, things would be different, but they're not. What they ARE is a for-profit organization that will shove any advertisement down your throat for any price. That point can clearly be seen by the unnecessary skyscraper additions.

If you feel like you HAVE to throw $50 to something, do it for something that actually does something good, goodwill, salvation army, your local pound, whathaveyou, but throwing $50 away on empty promises and nothing at all makes absolutely no sense.

f iNet isn't losing anything on the premium memberships and people still sign up for them, how exactly are they losing money?
    Very simple, really. If you actually thought about this, you would understand it.

Take, for example my case:
    Over the past few years, as a premium member, I have had a discount on advertising. Since having that gave me an incentive for running various ads (sticky or not) in various forums. I did so. The total for those (even after the discount) came to around 1-200/yr.

Since said discount is no longer there, of course, the advertisements have stopped. Now, that is a loss of income. Have other advertisements taken the place? As of now, no they haven't. Will they? Possibly, but as of now, they haven't. THAT, in and of itself is called a loss of money.

Do the benefits add up? No. Do I feel like just throwing $35-$40 to iNet for nothing? Absolutely NOT. Now, if you do, hey, that's your choice, but at least give to someone who makes a difference and a contribution to the community, because that's just what you're doing, GIVING away your money there. You're not seeing any sort of return on it, any sort of recurring benefit on it.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Or are they your customer? They have provided you with (forgot to check your post count) a gazillion free ads via your signature which, by your own admission, helped substantially to build your business.
    I am iNET's customer. iNET are certianly not my customer. They haven't signed up for the service I offer. I have signed up for the service that iNET offer. I am a member of their forum. I participate on their forum. Their ads rotate on my screen.

It's a symbiotic mutually beneficial relationship. I provide WHT with content, and keep the banners clicking over, and they provide me with a community to interact and learn within. Win - win, and that's why the model works. I and many hundreds of WHT regulars are the heart and soul of WHT. We're what makes WHT great, and such a great source of information for new or passing through visitors.

If they beefed up the Premium offer, like adding those items I mentioned (customisation etc), that would be great. To be able to customise how WHT looks, through my browser, now that would be something. That's something that appeals to me, and to many others too I would imagine. That's my "constructive" feedback.

And that's all I'm going to say about that!

Jan and Lois high five eachother

They had a much better offer last time, but the advertising discounts probably proved too costly, so they're gone from the current Premium Membership offer. If they included something like being able to highly customise how WHT looked, and removed all the banner ads, then that would be something of real value. I would pay for that in a heartbeat.

Ditto that, extra options, mainly customization would be a killer selling point. Removal of ads, really isn't that big of a deal with the current browsers/addons. Heck even adding the option of a user avatar would be nice to include.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

I am iNET's customer. iNET are certianly not my customer. They haven't signed up for the service I offer. I have signed up for the service that iNET offer. I am a member of their forum. I participate on their forum. Their ads rotate on my screen.

It's a symbiotic mutually beneficial relationship. I provide WHT with content, and keep the banners clicking over, and they provide me with a community to interact and learn within. Win - win, and that's why the model works. I and many hundreds of WHT regulars are the heart and soul of WHT. We're what makes WHT great, and such a great source of information for new or passing through visitors.

If they beefed up the Premium offer, like adding those items I mentioned (customisation etc), that would be great. To be able to customise how WHT looks, through my browser, now that would be something. That's something that appeals to me, and to many others too I would imagine. That's my "constructive" feedback.

And that's all I'm going to say about that!
    You are partly wrong. I will talk about the indivudual you. You need WHT a lot a lot alot alot alot more than WHT needs you (just you, not the whole community). Your business mainly depends on WHT (as Jan pointed out, you said this before). That is correct. I used to see a lot of httpme reviews / recommendations when you owned httpme. After you sold, i think i only seen two-three reviews of httpme. Your presence here were leading to the reviews / recommendations. Now you dont own httpme and new owners are not that active, we dont see many reviews. Same thing happening again with your new company dotable. You cannot afford to lose WHT, but wht can easily lose you. Nothing would change. Maybe one thread would show up in the lounge asking where you are, a few would reply and that would be the end of it.

The ads aren't removed if you're a premium member?

What exactly is the point of getting a premium membership for just a $7 t-shirt?
    Kerry Jones

Quote Originally Posted by hcn
    . . . You cannot afford to lose WHT . . . Your business mainly depends on WHT
    Wrong. I could walk away from WHT right now and Dotable will keep doing just great. Dotable does not depend on WHT for new business. Dotable's growth is word of mouth, from the many hundreds of Dotable clients, and most would not even know what WHT is. I'm here because I still enjoy the interaction, like to keep a finger on the pulse of the industry, and have a LOT of friends who also participate here.

Anyways, your opinion is just that, and you have your little axe to grind too, for what it's worth. I give to WHT, and WHT gives back to me. It's a relationship that works well and has done for over 5 years.

Wrong. I could walk away from WHT right now and Dotable will keep doing just great. Dotable does not depend on WHT for new business. Dotable's growth is word of mouth, from the many hundreds of Dotable clients, and most would not even know what WHT is. I'm here because I still enjoy the interaction, like to keep a finger on the pulse of the industry, and have a LOT of friends who also participate here.

Anyways, your opinion is just that, and you have your little axe to grind too, for what it's worth. I give to WHT, and WHT gives back to me. It's a relationship that works well and has done for over 5 years.
    Awesome, Bob. Your confidence is really appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by hcn
    You are partly wrong. I will talk about the indivudual you. You need WHT a lot a lot alot alot alot more than WHT needs you (just you, not the whole community). Your business mainly depends on WHT (as Jan pointed out, you said this before). That is correct. I used to see a lot of httpme reviews / recommendations when you owned httpme. After you sold, i think i only seen two-three reviews of httpme. Your presence here were leading to the reviews / recommendations. Now you dont own httpme and new owners are not that active, we dont see many reviews. Same thing happening again with your new company dotable. You cannot afford to lose WHT, but wht can easily lose you. Nothing would change. Maybe one thread would show up in the lounge asking where you are, a few would reply and that would be the end of it.
    I don't buy that one bit. Rackspace, Softlayer, and many others do not post here in expectations of reviews... heck they don't even post here at all. The reviews for them get here because of the service they provide (or lack thereof).

If you have ever interacted with Bob in other forums (not hosting related) you will see that he brings the same spirit there that he puts forth here... except that there he has nothing to really gain. That's what makes some of the old "characters" around here valuable for content to WHT.... while making them successful in their ventures.

As we grow in business and in life itself, we hopefully evolve for the better. Statements made in the past like "I need WHT" might not be valid today even though they were at one time.

you are right though.... WHT does not need us... until the last valuable member leaves.

Just my thoughts.... no need to flame

Happy Holidays.
    Host, YES!
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

Quote Originally Posted by TCP/IP Warrior
    Statements made in the past like "I need WHT" might not be valid today even though they were at one time.
    We get that almost daily at the helpdesk. WHT is important to my business. I need to get back because without WHT I can't make money. You are allowing my family to starve because I need WHT. How can I get my hosting to pay without WHT and yadda yadda yadda.

move the premeon forums at the buttum of the forum..

Quote Originally Posted by not-even-a-mouse
    We get that almost daily at the helpdesk. WHT is important to my business. I need to get back because without WHT I can't make money. You are allowing my family to starve because I need WHT. How can I get my hosting to pay without WHT and yadda yadda yadda.
    WHT is very important for those are new to the business and those who like to advertise without spending money, because WHT is a great source where a lot of people are visiting every day.

Once they get stable and receive a good name in the industry, they won't have to advertise here, because they will get clients through the "word of mouth". But, they coudn't avoid WHT, because they have to answer the Feedbacks (+ or -ve) from their customers, that can affect their business in a big way.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast