Basic File Permissions Question

I have a fairly basic problem with group/user ownership that I could use some help with. I was to give a non-root user (let's call him John) access to gcc (which is currently owned by the root user and group). I know that this can be done by adding a new group (let's call it gcc), adding John and root to this group and then chgrp'ing gcc to the new group. But given that I'm not very experienced in these things, I just wanted to ask a few questions about this. Firstly, is there a better way? Secondly, would changing gcc's group from root to something else have any drawbacks? Or perhaps I'm completely off the wall, and what I've said above is completely wrong.

Your idea is perfect. But after making the changes, confirm that gcc's permission is set to 750. Or else all your security settings would be of no use.
    SparkSupport.Com - The Premier Tech Company
    Cloud Solutions|Email Infra setup|VOIP|Video Streaming|Software Development
    Email: [email protected] Phone : 1- 408-600-1449 | Skype : shijils

It's a good idea

The idea is fine, that's a good way to restrict compiler access to your users.

since root is the owner of gcc, you wouldn't have to add the root user to the gcc group, unless you plan on changing the owning user as well as the owning group?
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

Quote Originally Posted by Ks Jeppe
    since root is the owner of gcc, you wouldn't have to add the root user to the gcc group, unless you plan on changing the owning user as well as the owning group?
    Ah, yes, I hadn't realised. I've set it up, and it works perfectly. Thanks for the advice guys

Doesn't matter if you do, root doesn't care.
    Linux/BSD Systems Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Blackknight
    Doesn't matter if you do, root doesn't care.
    I know, but just for the sake of playing wise and mighty + for the fact that it'll provide a basic knowlegde for any future visitors of this post i thought it would point it out... I didn't know it when i first started out with linux
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||