Cogent redundent circuits?

So apparently my sales rep is telling me cogent will not give me a second circuit for a redundent line so in other words, no vrrp or hsrp nothing Unless! i purchase another 200mb contract with them.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

not even are they willing to do a port fee for the second gbic i'd take up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr
    So apparently my sales rep is telling me cogent will not give me a second circuit for a redundent line so in other words, no vrrp or hsrp nothing Unless! i purchase another 200mb contract with them.
    Sounds about right! My informants tell me this is becase the cogent billing system can't deal with multiple ports for the same BW commitment.

Any reason you're not multihoming with another provider?
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

Quote Originally Posted by appliedops
    Sounds about right! My informants tell me this is becase the cogent billing system can't deal with multiple ports for the same BW commitment.

Any reason you're not multihoming with another provider?
    I am multihoming with another provider a wholesaler, whom I purchase level3/at&t/savvis/glbx through. I'm just looking for another line with both actully for a redundent setup going to have another 6509 comming in here shortly.

I'm just looking for another line with both actully for a redundent setup going to have another 6509 comming in here shortly.
    Ahh, ok, that makes a bit more sense.
    Well, maybe consider just splitting up your transit providers between your routers?
    If you're buying 6509's, paying for an extra 100Mbps to Cogent can't be that terrible can it?
    www.appliedops.net

Quote Originally Posted by appliedops
    Ahh, ok, that makes a bit more sense.
    Well, maybe consider just splitting up your transit providers between your routers?
    If you're buying 6509's, paying for an extra 100Mbps to Cogent can't be that terrible can it?
    its the fact that cogent is treating the second line as a totaly different account and would be at the wodnerful 100Mbps rate of $15/mbps vs 10mbps on 200

I mean i'm sure i could split up the transit and punt 200more mbps out the second cogent line but the idea is for failover why pay 2k more a month for bandwidth when its not needed?

Sure cogent is decent for the price and i have customers who only want it and don't care for the quality but i'm just shocked that they are refusing to give me another port even if i had to pay a port fee i would but not another 200mbps commit.

Sure cogent is decent for the price and i have customers who only want it and don't care for the quality but i'm just shocked that they are refusing to give me another port even if i had to pay a port fee i would but not another 200mbps commit.
    Thats cogent for ya
    www.appliedops.net

its the fact that cogent is treating the second line as a totaly different account and would be at the wodnerful 100Mbps rate of $15/mbps vs 10mbps on 200

I mean i'm sure i could split up the transit and punt 200more mbps out the second cogent line but the idea is for failover why pay 2k more a month for bandwidth when its not needed?

You're paying those prices and expecting the same level of service as other carriers? They're able to charge less for a reason...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

COGENT Says: "NO AGGREGATED BILLING FOR YOU!"

Its a fact of life, you get what you pay for.

Peer1 allowed us to aggregate two gig-e's in the past... but alas, their pricing is nowhere near that of Cogent -- Karl's statement rings true.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

multihoming is your answer

Thanks for the obvious as I already am. I'm talking about REDUNDENT connections on TWO difference peices of hardware for routing.

ever thought about multihoming? hahah