Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Defining the WHT Wiki

Before we integrate the WHT Wiki, I'd like to open some discussion defining it.

Since the wiki will be fueled by members, we should talk about what we're putting in there and why.

I'd like to put a Mission Statement together for it. I'm sure if we put our heads together, we can come up with a direction we want the wiki to go.

So, what do you think the WHT Wiki should be?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Maybe we could have lists of providers, i.e. hosts, software providers, hardware, etc

How-To section, Terms..and who knows what else.
    -DPI
    Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Dennis, how about you get this ball rolling, and first share your vision for what the WHT wiki could be?

I haven't had much to do with wikis.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

My suggestion is, not to have "reviews" of any company. Leave the forums for that, or any mention of any company for that matter.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    My suggestion is, not to have "reviews" of any company. Leave the forums for that, or any mention of any company for that matter.
    Agreed, company reviews and wiki's really do not mix. There is really no need for users to be able to edit each others reviews, and I can't think of anything good that could stem from this.

Alex

I suggest that in the true spirit of Inet or whomever is running WHT that we place a bunch of links a the top of the WIKI to other WIKI's that don't have any content and also aren't readable by people that don't pay a fee, therefore pushing down the real content that is contained in the actual WHT WIKI.

I think that this is a winner of a concept for WHT. In fact, we should pitch it all over the web. Imagine if Google decided to put Froogle at the top of the page and made everyone scroll down a page to actually search the web.

I mean, imagine that!!! Imagine how much better they would be doing if they did that!!! Idiots at google don't know what they're missing by not following the WHT juggernaut.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Agreedx2

I don't even know why we need a "wiki", really, as a wiki is usually a form of definition, not really something that fits the WHT model, or so it would seem.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    . . . I think that this is a winner of a concept for WHT. In fact, we should pitch it all over the web. Imagine if Google decided to put Froogle at the top of the page and made everyone scroll down a page to actually search the web.

I mean, imagine that!!! Imagine how much better they would be doing if they did that!!! Idiots at google don't know what they're missing by not following the WHT juggernaut.
    Are we to assume there's a certian level of sarcasim there?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Dennis, how about you get this ball rolling, and first share your vision for what the WHT wiki could be?
    Thought I touched on that over here. I think there's a lot in this industry that could be defined within a wiki.

I haven't had much to do with wikis.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

I have no experience with them (except from a user's standpoint). That's why I need everyone's help.

We can do this!

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Agreedx2

I don't even know why we need a "wiki", really, as a wiki is usually a form of definition, not really something that fits the WHT model, or so it would seem.
    I think some defining is something that WHT does need. There are many questions that are repeated over and over again. If they were thoroughly answered in a wiki, it might be easier for someone to find.

WHT has always been a huge repository of information. We're just tying to make it easier to find that information.

Perhaps I'm confused over the idea behind the wiki, because it doesn't seem like something that would be an added value to the WHT community. When you avoid the advertising spiels and biases, as a proper wiki should, that leaves very little to talk about when it comes to Web Hosting.

I suppose what we could do, is remove the 'how to' forums on WHT, and rather re-create those are parts of the Wiki, which could be continously updated. But then you're left with updated content, but is it really that much more easier for the end-user (the one looking for web hosting, and help) to find than it currently is?

what sort of ads will be on the wiki?

Okay, okay, to actually answer SWR's question, instead of just bashing Inet... I think a good start would be moving the tutorials over to the wiki so that anyone who has a login on WHT can edit them. You'll have to get permission from the original authors, of course, but I think many will gladly agree, if only because it will boost SEO to have a link back to their site. That's another thing -- I think if the people are creating original content, the users who have created a significant amount deserve to be honored with text links back. Maybe an "Originally Created By:" at the top of the article with a person's name that links back to their hosting site?

I think, to get the ball rolling, the Community Leaders and Liaisons should post new pages on the wiki with common questions like "What is overselling?" "What is a VPS?" These pages can be blank and it should be indicated that they need to be populated by well-written articles.

Although the Wikipedia model of allowing anyone to edit works for them, I don't recommend it for a WHT wiki. Too easy for a provider to come in and "snipe" an article by adding links to his/her own site (even if well-meaning.) External link policies should be clearly defined, and requests to edit should be a) individually approved by WHT mods and b) restricted to those who have shown to add value to the WHT community with thoughtful comments and articles. You'll want to discuss amongst yourselves (WHT leaders/liaisons) as to exactly what metrics to use, but I recommend either 100+ posts or 6+ months as a WHT member, with demonstrated thoughtfulness on posts here. Only slightly less than what you would use as a metric for Community Guides.

That's just a start, but hope it helps you to get some real feedback.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Smile

I think wiki is used for showing how-to for a specifc application like dovecot or something and doesn't really fit here. The How-to here is great as people can discuss their problems, etc.

There is no need to move over to wiki in my opinion.

Who thought of the idea of using wiki? or it was Inet?
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 12-18-2006 at 01:06 AM.

Perhaps we could have certain articles that relate to companies. Wikis for notorious people/companies, that have affected a large part of WHT'ers. For example, the history behind the Timmah conflict (of which i do not know of ) and all that.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

So the WHT wiki is built by WHT members?

Can someone tell me why we want to build this wiki for WHT? I mean, is this the, "we're contributing towards a collective hosting knowledge" project kind of thing? What's in it for us?

Has someone else built a wiki that could be something similar to what the WHT wiki could be?

Erica also raised some good points about how the wiki would be run. Wikis work when there's open access to reading and editing the information, but that obviously has a vulnerable side, with the open editing.

The Wikipedia team has recently announced their system to go open-source very soon (in terms of other companies using their content).

Why not simply "integrate" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_hosting into WHT? It seems like its exactly what WHT is after...
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Before we integrate the WHT Wiki, I'd like to open some discussion defining it.

Since the wiki will be fueled by members, we should talk about what we're putting in there and why.

I'd like to put a Mission Statement together for it. I'm sure if we put our heads together, we can come up with a direction we want the wiki to go.

So, what do you think the WHT Wiki should be?

I think there should be everything possible hosting related topics from finding a host to clustering servers to software reviews. I think major topics first should be decided then anyone can define a topic or subtopic, edit any page, copyedit, write a little, or write a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    So the WHT wiki is built by WHT members?
    Yes.

Can someone tell me why we want to build this wiki for WHT?
    The same reason we post answers to questions.

I mean, is this the, "we're contributing towards a collective hosting knowledge" project kind of thing?
    That's one way of explaining it.

What's in it for us?
    "Contributing towards a collective hosting knowledge" project kind of thing?

Has someone else built a wiki that could be something similar to what the WHT wiki could be?
    wikipedia is probably the closest. But it doesn't include the video pods. And it's not on a web site where a large percentage of the visitors come to find information about hosting.
    Erica also raised some good points about how the wiki would be run. Wikis work when there's open access to reading and editing the information, but that obviously has a vulnerable side, with the open editing.
    Yes. That is a concern. So we have a thread here to see if we can sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    ... Who thought of the idea of using wiki? or it was Inet?
    It's been mentioned by members sporadically over the years. And iNET is interested in bringing WHT to Web 2.0 standards.

hmmm . . . WHT 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpli-Erica
    Okay, okay, to actually answer SWR's question ...
    Thank you!

I think if the people are creating original content, the users who have created a significant amount deserve to be honored with text links back. Maybe an "Originally Created By:" at the top of the article with a person's name that links back to their hosting site?
    I like that.
    I think, to get the ball rolling, the Community Leaders and Liaisons should post new pages on the wiki with common questions like "What is overselling?" "What is a VPS?" These pages can be blank and it should be indicated that they need to be populated by well-written articles.
    Sounds like a good place to start.

Although the Wikipedia model of allowing anyone to edit works for them, I don't recommend it for a WHT wiki. Too easy for a provider to come in and "snipe" an article by adding links to his/her own site (even if well-meaning.) External link policies should be clearly defined, and requests to edit should be a) individually approved by WHT mods and b) restricted to those who have shown to add value to the WHT community with thoughtful comments and articles. You'll want to discuss amongst yourselves (WHT leaders/liaisons) as to exactly what metrics to use, but I recommend either 100+ posts or 6+ months as a WHT member, with demonstrated thoughtfulness on posts here. Only slightly less than what you would use as a metric for Community Guides.
    That's the tough bit. Personally, I don't know much about wikis. And that's why I've asked for help in this thread. We'd like the wiki to work like, well, a wiki. But I'm unclear how we could prevent the above without moderating edits. And, if we moderate edits, is it still a wiki?

That's just a start, but hope it helps you to get some real feedback.
    That helped bunches. Thanks!

WHT has always been a huge repository of information. We're just tying to make it easier to find that information.
    I think that bears repeating.

Integrating a wiki and video pods are just two ways of making that information available to more people. And they're two ways that will move WHT towards being Web 2.0 compliant.

. . . That's the tough bit. Personally, I don't know much about wikis. And that's why I've asked for help in this thread. We'd like the wiki to work like, well, a wiki. But I'm unclear how we could prevent the above without moderating edits. And, if we moderate edits, is it still a wiki?
    Maybe run with the wiki open to be edited by WHT members, and see how that goes? If there's abuse, then maybe that will need to be tightened up, but I can't see how, without creating a huge burden on the WHT mods. Maybe there needs to be special Wiki Mods?

Here are some wiki catagory suggestions to get the ball rolling -

1. What is webhosting and how does it work?
    2. What is a dedicated server?
    3. What is a VPS account?
    4. What is a Reseller account?
    5. What is the differnce between Linux and Windows hosting?
    6. How can I find a webhost suitable for me?
    7. If I cannot access my site/s, what should I do?
    8. What is colocation?

I'm sure we could come up with 20+ catagories to get the ball rolling.

Integrating a wiki and video pods . . .
    What's this video pods thing? Is that like youtube, where I mime Madonna songs?

I can see the pages of writing from people defining "Overselling", "Unlimited" and "Unmetered".
    Sean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast