transferring domainname? a little confused :(

im changing hosts from uk2.net to either hostgator or yahoo. but they both suggest that uk2 will still own the .com or something like and only the nameservers will change??

Im a little confused by this? does this mean that even if i transfer my domain. i will still have to pay fees to uk2?

Any help or advice would be very appreciated

Thanks

Tim

No. Yo won't pay for change nameservers. As far as I know it is free.

Hello and welcome to WHT

First of all check if the domain is registered in your name using the www.whois.sc

Under normal circumstances you are able to transfer your domains at any registrar you want for a fee. Usually this fee is the same as domain registration's fee plus you get 1 year extension.

You can also keep the domain where it is registered and just change the nameservers(NS) to the NS that your new host will provide you.
    Web Hosting by Brontobytes

thanks for you rvery quick replys

so if i keep the domain where its registered, does that mean i still have to pay them there?

Yes, you will have to pay a renewal fee per year.
    For pricing check: uk2.net/domains.shtml
    Web Hosting by Brontobytes

Quote Originally Posted by rudutdo
    thanks for you rvery quick replys

so if i keep the domain where its registered, does that mean i still have to pay them there?
    Yes, but you really do not have to transfer the domain. All you really need to do when changing web hosts is update your nameservers to the ones provided to you by the new hosting provider. Transferring domains really is a headache.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

ok, thanks very much for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    Yes, but you really do not have to transfer the domain. All you really need to do when changing web hosts is update your nameservers to the ones provided to you by the new hosting provider. Transferring domains really is a headache.
    Yes, transfering domains are a headache when the leaving registrar is not so
    ethical(hint hint 1and1.com).

However, I like to keep all my domains in one central reliable domain registrar.

Usually it should not be a painful proccess. It takes 3-7 days for a transfer to complete, check out godaddy.com, they are reliable and they have some good domain transfer pricing.
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

If you are going to purchase multiple domains, it is nice to have them all in one place where you can login and change nameservers as necessary. I like domainsite.com, since it's nice and cheap. Godaddy is pretty good as well. I guess the overall point here is that your domain can be registered and renewed anywhere, and it doesn't have to be at the same place where your website is hosted (although hosts will probably want you to think it does).
    Zero Unit Hosting - 24/7 support, PHP, MySQL, site builder, script library
    Web Host Friend Online Hosting Directory - Submit Your Site!