Which bulleting board(discussion board) is best?

Friends,

I would like to add a discussion forum section in my website.
    Please suggest me a good discussion board in your experience.
    like vbulleting,phpbb,etc.......

Also, is there any discussion board is available for free?

Thanks
    Sathyguy

www.vbulletin.com with no doubt......
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

I've always been an administrator of phpBB. However I do use a lot of vBulletin boards and I do like it.

SMF, phpBB, PunBB and many more are free, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. The right board has a lot to do with the features that are most important to you.

I like vBulletin for all of its carefully thought-out standard functionality, though I can't stand it's templating system. I like phpBB for it's templating system and the massive amounts of mods, but if you modify it too much, upgrading becomes a real burden, and phpBB tends to get targeted more frequently than most other boards by malicious users, which makes upgrading a top priority.

I haven't used PunBB, but I know a lot of people who swear by it, particularly because of how well the markup output by it is formed and how accessible it is to people with disabilities and to search engines.

So, the answer has a lot to do with your own priorities
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

PHPBB for me...with ANY BB system, you MUST keep on top of updates and upgrades. ALL of them have been hacked and subjects of defacement before. All of them release patches and you have to update ASAP when they are released.

what is the system requirements for phpBB or vbulletin?

phpbb is free
    vbulletin is cost.... AM I right?

how much vbulleting costs?

thanks
    sathyguy

I like SMF (simple machine forum). I used to like phpBB but then I found vBulletin but they started charging. Then I found SMF (its what phpfreaks.com/forums uses) and I love it.

It's free too
    SharkBait
    Web Dev: php, MySQL, HTML, XHTML, JS, CSS
    www.DyanmicShark.com - Coming Soon!
    My Blog:www.tyleringram.com

I just found out about SMF a few days ago...looks good...all forums have positives and negatives...

In my experience, most phpBB upgrades are for security reasons, and most vBulletin upgrades are non-critical new functionality upgrades. That's not to say both boards don't have a mix of both critical and non-critical upgrades, but the tendency seems to be toward a more secure application if you pay for it. Yes, vBulletin costs $160 initially and then $20/yr. thereafter. It's worth it, if you like the functionality and support offered by vB.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait
    I like SMF (simple machine forum). I used to like phpBB but then I found vBulletin but they started charging. Then I found SMF (its what phpfreaks.com/forums uses) and I love it.

It's free too
    vBulletin always charged.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

I personally like SMF myself, it's very customizable and theres a pretty big community behind it, although its smaller than phpBB
    -DPI
    Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Talking

I used to use IPB but my liscense run out damn it lol >.< but it was good while it lasted...

I've used phpBB and vBulletin. vBulletin definately has my vote, especially for customizations. There's also a crapload more options on the admin side.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

I've runned a phpBB forum, and I must say it ranked pretty well. Then I changed to VBulletin, and I do love it. From an user and an admin standpoint. But I lost all my rankings on a 7 year site Or Google changed something, or he didn't like to crawl all the same info, but now with new urls. And I did everything correctly, with 301 redirects and such. Live and learn...
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

vBulletin always charged.
    Actually not true, there was a time way back when, when the very first version could be obtained free .

I believe I saw a website still running that first version.

As far as this thread is concerned, I am without a doubt going to vote for Vbulletin. I have used it on several of my sites. I was also using it to run a successful, heavily visited forum. I have never had any regrets!

If you want a "light weight" discussion board, I would recommend bbPress. It doesn't have all of the fancy features of vBulletin, but it gets the job done. I'm pretty sure it was created by WordPress (can't remember), and it's free.

I would recommend MyBB. Lightweight compared to vbulletin and free.

phpBB, Had bad experiences with spam using that software. Other then that it's fine. Although phpBB2 has a lack of features.
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

I've ran forums using phpBB and IPB. I must say, from an admin standpoint, I liked IPB better than I liked phpBB. And it seemed to get more traffic. IPB is a bit pricey though.
    SMF looks pretty good.

I think in my eyes it's between IPB and Vbulletin
    although I like the look and functionality of IPB 2.2. So IPB all the way for me

Hope this helps

VB is actually 160$ with an $30 a year charge for upgrades. You could also go with the yearly lic for $85.

IPB I believe is cheaper on the yearly lic as that is what I went with - though I am really starting to reconsider my decision.

vBulletin without a doubt is better than most of the other forum software out on the market. I have 2 vBulletin licenses and 2 IPB licenses and I must say that I enjoy using the vBulletin software much more than the Invision. When making custom changes to Invision it feels like a chore to me and I don't get as excited or feel the relative ease as I do with vBulletin. Don't ask me why that is because I think it could just been the look of IPB, but I think that vB is much more powerful, secure, customizable, and over greater than most forum software.
    SwiftModders - Professional Web Design Services & WHMCS Themes
    Web Designs catered to web hosting and software providers!
    Check out the top-rated WHMCS Admin Panel Theme by SwiftModders

I have used both VB and IPB and I must say - I am itching to switch back to VB. Something about IPB just irks me but I can't really place my finger on it. It might be me but I also think IPB might load a bit slower than VB - but - again - it could be the beer talking.

i have to jump in here and give another vote for VB, but it depend on what its for.

If your wanting to add a BB to your hosting site i recommend VB even more, it has all the features you need and nothing you dont.

I also find its much better to customize/integrate into your site. We started off with IPB and boy what a pain that was, its actually to advanced the admin panel is good looking but way over packed and i was nto able to overlook anything i ended up having to spend a long time int he admincp to get it all sorted and even then it was never what i wanted.

Therefore i went to VB and wont ever go back. If i were to go free i suggest SMF!
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

vbulletin3.6.4

vbulletin is the best i m having the newer version of it!
    http://Smilemaker.uk.to
    (More than 800 readymade scripts)
    http://Bestforum.uk.to/uk/forum

If you have the money to spend, vBulletin by far is the best to get, as others have said. There are a TON of mods, plugins what have you for vB.

Keep in mind, that if you want to customize it, but cannot do it on your own, be prepared to pay! The good thing is there are a lot of vB designers, coders. But it is going to cost you to make your vB the way you want it to look.

The support is the best out there. Even for a non sponsored mod that someone has made from vb.org, the support has been great!

The bad, your going to pay a good amount of money just to get it up and running.

What I love most about vB is that it already has 99% of the features I need. And they work fantastically.

It all depends on wether you are willing so spend money.

If so VBulletin is the best as alot of people have already said. If no, then there are many options to choose.

My favorites are IPB v1.3 which i think is still legal to use, but finding a copy is the hard part as Invision no longer support or distribute 1.3, and phpBB.

Both are easy to customise with CSS and HTML. Both IPB and phpBB can be made to look fantastic if you have the skills. Ive seen ipb boards that are unrecognisable and the only way to tell which board it is, is by looking at the copyright.

If your looking for easy to customise if youve never done it before id have to go with phpbb. Its really simple if you dont want to change the look too much, just the colours and images etc.

vbulletin might not be that bad from a technical point of view but their business practices would make me run.

SMF would get my vote.
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

Yeh i would say PHPbb is the best Free forum software, but vBulletin is for sure the best forum software, also it makes your forum look more professional just by being vBulletin, if you are serious about your forum you will want to get it, $160.00 for an owned licence.

vBulletin is used pretty much everywhere so I find it boring. I personally prefer MyBB it's a good alternative to vBulletin.

also it makes your forum look more professional just by being vBulletin
    What do you think makes it more professional the name? The default theme?

Matt
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Must be a few things to be honest, i used to have my forum on PhpBB, then when we grew biggger we upgraded to vBulletin, the whole forum just felt so much more professional, the amount of admin options absoloutly blow you away, and can be a little bit daunting when you first use it, but when you get used to all the features, it is by far the best forum software available.

Vbulletin of course, but it costs money.