Hosting a site from home

Hi, after reading a few of the tutorials on lifehacker, I wanted to setup my home computer to host a site.

I have apache running on one of my machines and as far as I know it is configured correctly, ie, I can go to localhost in a browser and see the pages.

I have setup a dynamic domain name with dyndns and have setup dynamic DNS on my router and this is working correctly, ie, my IP address is shown in my dyndns account correctly.

I have opened port 80 on my netgear firewall and set it to forward requests to the machine running apache and I have also set DMZ to the same IP.

When I try to access my domain from one of the machines on my network, I just get my router control panel and when I try to access it from a machine external (like from work), I get a 502 error.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

As far as I undersatnd a 502 error is HTTP Error 502 Bad gateway Explained. So it happens when the server is used as a gateway or a proxy and got the wrong answer from the connected server which was applied for data handling.

Also check if your ISP blocks port 80 as most do nowadays.

im not sure what this means..!

The machine running apache shouldn't be a gateway as my PCs all connect to the router then the external internet not to the computer and then the internet if you see my meaning. Could be the proxy thing if my router is set as the proxy...Not sure how to find this out though..?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Also check if your ISP blocks port 80 as most do nowadays.
    Hmm, Im with BT...? How do I find out apart from calling them?

Use http://www.canyouseeme.org with your IP, not the domain name. If you get a connection timeout then your ISP is blocking the port.

I would say just look through the contract between you and your ISP and see what is allowed.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by wellmoon
    and I have also set DMZ to the same IP.
    I would disable DMZ and retry.
    You don't want to have that because it exposes the PC (if it's working) to the exterior.
    Forwarding port 80 (and 443 for https if you want to use it) should be enough.

Thanks for all the advice, strangley, I tried it again this afternoon and I can now see all my pages fine...

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.