Question Scammers and Spammers Sub-Forum? Anyone Else Want One?

How many people would like to see a sub-forum created to warn web hosts about potential scammers, talk about how to defend/stop spam, and discuss subjects surrounding the increase of these sorts of annoyances? I know I would, and I have noticed a couple of others would too. (Maybe under the Running a Web Hosting Business Forum?)
    PWRHost.com - Empower your site today!
    Award Winning Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2005!

i would but the liability is too high for inet to consider it.

There is one, under premium members section.
    PWRHost.com - Empower your site today!
    Award Winning Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2005!

If its to talk about generalities, without giving specific information (like scammer client's name, domain, info) - it could really be covered in one thread. There's only so many times you can list the ways to stop fraudsters. I don't think a separate forum would have ongoing appeal.

If you're talking about posting client information, that's a huge 'no-no'. It would be huge liability to iNet and the person posting the information. Also, even if no one pursued it legally, there's something that just doesn't sit right with me when you talk about posting victim's information. I say victim's information because most scammers and fraudsters use stolen credit card, name, domains, etc. to do their dirty work. By posting the victim's information, you're only adding insult to injury.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by PWRBryce
    The section under the Premium Members forum is for discussion on spam and preventing spam and scams, not on which hosts are scammers / abusers.

This has been discussed many time before, and WHT and iNet will probably not do it. While it might be helpful, there are plenty of bads that outweigh the good. Search around for the older threads on this.

Alex

Who would police it? Unfortunately there are a lot of people who do not read a contract when they agree to it. And then when something happens, they think at that point they are scammed.

Just do a search on here and you will find thousands of posts. Getting down to the truth at times, take a lot of hard effort. I doubt anyone would be able to afford that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Who would police it? Unfortunately there are a lot of people who do not read a contract when they agree to it. And then when something happens, they think at that point they are scammed.

Just do a search on here and you will find thousands of posts. Getting down to the truth at times, take a lot of hard effort. I doubt anyone would be able to afford that time.
    So true...

Plus, with so many young hosters around, they won't be aware of all the laws (some of them)... it is likely they will say something which they will regret later on..

Best to keep the vibe of this community positive rather than having sections that would only encourage negativity...

Quote Originally Posted by PWRBryce
    Hmm for only premium users,

Quote Originally Posted by spechackers
    Hmm for only premium users,
    hmmmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    The section under the Premium Members forum is for discussion on spam and preventing spam and scams, not on which hosts are scammers / abusers.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant

There are a lot of maniacs who run around the web hosting forum screaming about their hosts. When they post without significant evidence, they are asked to provide evidence, and when they fail to provide that evidence, the thread is usually tossed. Why not run the scam/spam forum the same way?

hey "ub3r" that sounds actually like a step in the right direction - perhaps even a plan ? ;-)

I second "ub3r" on this !!
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 12-26-2006 at 03:20 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    There are a lot of maniacs who run around the web hosting forum screaming about their hosts. When they post without significant evidence, they are asked to provide evidence, and when they fail to provide that evidence, the thread is usually tossed. Why not run the scam/spam forum the same way?
    Because it isn't the same thing. The daily complaints are rarely spam/scam, we have very few "known" scammers here and those are well documented both publicly and privately here and in search engines.

Wow, I can't believe we're having a big conundrum about discussing spammers and hackers.

Ok, I see the legal problems involved of naming individuals on the board. So let's the protect the host of this forum and rule that out. Agreed.

The notion that discussing the subject of network abuse in general is "negative" is understandable. We're a dozen years in to this new environment, and the spammers own 90% of all email traffic. So any discussion of spam and network abuse highlights our failure, and repeats a discussion of a technical defense paradigm that just isn't getting the job done.

So instead of quitting, and declaring the subject negative, let's see if we can acknowledge the failure for what it is, and try harder. Whatcha say?

Here's an angle that might spark some discussion.

You and I are never going to figure out how to stop the spammer/hackers. We're web hosts, not experts in tracking criminals across international borders.

We might reasonably conclude an endless debate that assumes we have the answers, and instead focus on hiring experts whose training and life long career is focused on fighting underworld characters.

This reduces the whole problem for us to one of raising money, and hiring the right experts.

This is the exact same procedure any of us use when we encounter a hosting problem beyond our ability. We hire someone who already knows the job that needs to be done.

Hmm.

Are the moderators here concerned that if WHT becomes a leader in the discussion of network abuse this forum will become a victim of network abuse?

If yes, that's a reasonable concern. If this is a real concern, let's talk about it.

Ok, just signed up for a premium membership as a way to cast my vote that WHT become a leadership community on the topic of network abuse.

Whatcha says guys? A WHT subscription is only 4 bucks a month. If we hope to convince anyone we're serious about network abuse, it will take more than talk.

Let's pay a little bit for all the great info we get from this board (which saves me way more than 4 bucks a month in mistakes!) and encourage the moderators of WHT to help us make WHT a place where a new consensus on network abuse might emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by not-even-a-mouse
    Because it isn't the same thing. The daily complaints are rarely spam/scam, we have very few "known" scammers here and those are well documented both publicly and privately here and in search engines.
    It's not just about companies who scam & spam. There are also people who do these things, and many hosts have issues with these types of people signing up for their services, and abusing them.

Often, users are encouraged to search wht before signing up for a host. I think hosts could use a search engine to check if a potential client is a scammer or spammer.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    I think hosts could use a search engine to check if a potential client is a scammer or spammer.
    Would hosts submit data to this search engine, or would they be worried about the legal issues of having to prove a claim in court etc?

I'm not clear on the legal part. It seems users are free to say any darn thing they want about a host, and the worst that will happen is maybe a thread gets closed.

Is this concern about liability a real problem? I have no idea, just asking.

Perhaps such a search engine could be private, invitation only to known and respected hosts.

And perhaps host reports could be limited to "we would not choose to do business with this person again." That's just a statement of fact, which the host is surely qualified to make.