Can my server handle this load?

Hello i have a website that gets about 540,000 visitors a month with 6 million impressions. All the pages are in php, no databases involved, a lot of graphics. Sometimes 200 users online at the same time.

My server:
    Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ
    2GB Ram
    2500gb bandwidth
    10mbps uplink

It has crashed twice and i've only had this server with my new hosting company for about 5 days. Now should my server be able to handle this? is it just my hosting company that sucks and cant manage it right? each time it went down their excuse was that there has been a problem in the data center...what problem? once the power hub went down and second time they didnt even tell me they just said they were moving it to a different data center.

The site is up and its pretty fast right now but should i start looking for a new host? or give it another try? their support sucks...when my site is down and i call them they say oh we got a ticket open and it should be fixed soon. Well i lose $20 an hour if my site isnt up so when you say its gonna be fixed soon that just doesnt work for me.

Let me know if my server could handle the site i have, should i upgrade? should i just get a new host?
    Last edited by netpox; 12-15-2006 at 01:38 AM.

A few things from this post. Firstly spec wise that server should be ok though it does depend on the underlying script but if its crashing its either going to be running out of RAM or dogey hardware. You might want to try asking the hosting company if they will swap the RAM out to see if that helps. Also are they meant to be looking after the server for you or is it unmanaged?

As for the support how long is it taking them to reboot the server?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

What DC are you using? Sounds odd that they have a lot of network problems and I agree its more likely to be a hardware problem.

How much are you paying? You may be getting an excellent deal for the 2500gb bandwidth; in which case probably moving won't help unless you are prepared to spend more money. Or, you may be getting ripped off!

A final point - if its all static, consider serving it using thttpd or lighttpd rather than apache.

Alex
    Member, MySQL Guilds
    Author, "MySQL Clusterng" (Sams)

Quote Originally Posted by netpox
    Hello i have a website that gets about 540,000 visitors a month with 6 million impressions. All the pages are in php, no databases involved, a lot of graphics. Sometimes 200 users online at the same time.

My server:
    Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ
    2GB Ram
    2500gb bandwidth
    10mbps uplink
    Offhand I'd say yes, but you most likely need some server tuning to keep it online.
    When it crashes, do you know what's happened to it?
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net