Thumbs up Free commercial software

This site has only been going a few months.
    http://www.giveawayoftheday.com

Each day they give away piece of commercial software (legally ). Each program is only available for 24 hours,no free upgrades or support.

One to bookmark!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    This site has only been going a few months.
    http://www.giveawayoftheday.com

Each day they give away piece of commercial software (legally ). Each program is only available for 24 hours,no free upgrades or support.

One to bookmark!!

Don't know.. what is the "verification software" you have to download and install? Nothing is EVER free....

From the site:

We will pay the software publisher for the Giveaway license, and our visitors will only receive those after downloading a special verification program and agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, thus protecting software publishers’ interests and making our initiative beneficial for both clients and publishing companies.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Yes "Activate.exe" I dunno wat it does,but i wonder if you can get round that file.. (It gets your serial # from thier site or something)

Hmmmmm (I saw someone on another site mention this)

very nice find.. These are some good softwares. Hope there are no spywares in the activate.exe

Can't seem to find their Terms of Service or a Privacy Policy anywhere....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I will say this...

You can download and install Microsoft's virtual pc (free download / free use). Put all the giveawayoftheday.com software in there and use the software when you need it. Never on your main computer, so no spyware to worry about (well, not really).

I searched all last night and could not find anything negative about this company... don't mean there is nothing negative to report.... don't know....

I setup a GAOD@"mydomain.com" to see if I start getting spam from their newsletter. But they don't really say anything about privacy or what it is that the .exe does... except activate the software. When you install the only TOS is a link to the site, but no TOS exist, far as I know.

Anyway, what ever you do, don't put on your main computer... virtual pc is free..... I've not seen anything I like anyway... mostly stuff that is available for free in opensource or freeware is the same of some of their GAOTD software....

I think, it validates your PC for Windows version, etc and then sends it to them.

Do they get any profit by distributing the softwares for free? The site says that they pay software developers for the license. And i dont find any ads on the site. I dont understand what do they gain by doing this....other than traffic

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshn11
    I think, it validates your PC for Windows version, etc and then sends it to them.
    Welcome to WHT my friend

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshn11
    In this day and age, you have to wonder if there is anything else it does....

Thanks dude!

Hmm ... this looks suspicious.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

One catch:
    "You will get the information and special offers on all the additional software products from the given publisher."

Catch two:
    "* Under specific Terms and Conditions, which limit the software usage to non-commercial only, and may also limit software updates and technical support."

That activation program is not something I'd be willing to install just to get these off-brand titles. Pretty sure I have all the software I need presently.
    Something strikes me as suspicious here...

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    That activation program is not something I'd be willing to install just to get these off-brand titles. Pretty sure I have all the software I need presently.
    Something strikes me as suspicious here...
    Pretty much my thoughts on the issue... did some googling and didnt find much information about them.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Looks like they spend a little time spamming digg.com.

http://www.digg.com/users/Abra66/dugg

Then again, who doesn't these days?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by sirius
    Pretty much my thoughts on the issue... did some googling and didnt find much information about them.

Sirius
    They just started on 6 dec 06... what almost two weeks... my guess is we will see little stuff here and there as time goes on.... then again, maybe not. Hard to tell.

this site is pretty nice i check it out everyday now