How to research hosting co's

Using Crystaltech but several weeks ago they went down from what they said was an attack on their main server
    Today my site went down from what they said was a hickup on main server
    Was told this has never happened, but don't want to wait for more problems if this company has a history, which I don't know about.
    So I am getting worried that this will repeat and I need my site up.
    did a google search and see 10 listed from this http://bestwebhosting2006.com/reviews/startlogic.html

Does this happen often with other hosting co's or should I worry?

Thanks

Doug

It happens to everyone but if you're worried then by all means go for a new host. Preferably a host that backs up their data should a server go down because of hardware issue then another server would take over. * clustered failover hosting would be your best bet *
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

It sounds like Crystaltech does not provide the clustered failover.
    I will e mail several co's and ask some questions.
    Thanks for your input sTag-Dan

Was told this has never happened, but don't want to wait for more problems if this company has a history, which I don't know about.
    Do a search for reviews and see what other customers have to say about them.

did a google search and see 10 listed from this http://bestwebhosting2006.com/reviews/startlogic.html
    You will find plenty of web sites like that one. They only list the highest paying companies, I would not trust them one bit.

Attacks happen to everyone, if it's happening on a daily basis and they aren't doing anything about it then you should most likely find a new provider who can

Thanks Ali
    It is not happening daily or I hope it is not.
    I am not sure how I would know unless as today I could not get my mail.

Yes, beware of those affiliate-type sites; instead, look for real user opinion websites, like www.whreviews.com, WHT's own forum search and webhostingjury to just name a few.

Most hosts don't provide clustered failovers, thus I wouldn't make that the sole basis for your decision. Instead, you may want to factor that in as one of the many considerations you need to take (eg. what is the hosts reputation, customer base, experience, response times, space/bandwidth/cp, etc.) for the choosing a host with reliability, support and all the bells & whistles you'd expect

Good luck!
    •• PolurNET Communications••
    █ Avoid the Freeze, Enjoy the Breeze! █ A federally incorporated Canadian company at your service since 2004
    Proudly #1 on WebHostingJury and #1 on NamePros.com, the largest domain forum on the web!
    US/UK VPS+ @ ExcellentHost Enterprises || MSSQL 2008/IIS7 @ HostOptima.com || PremiumHost.com soon!

Quote Originally Posted by dougsd
    Using Crystaltech but several weeks ago they went down from what they said was an attack on their main server
    Today my site went down from what they said was a hickup on main server
    This is when I start researching other hosts. If I start feeling uncomfortable with a host, I start looking elsewhere. Having hung around hosting forums for 5 years, I start to watch host's attitudes on forums. I have a list of possible replacement hosts and just keep watching.

My second paid host was chosen because of his helpfulness on the forum, a small "not in your face" signature, rarely advertised. Towards the end of the first year with that host, I started to get a bit nervous because of a few things in a short while. I then started looking around again "just in case". My next host I was with nearly three years. Nothing really went wrong hosting wise, except it changed hands and I felt uncomfortable with the new owners attitude in general.

So I started looking around again and by this time I knew many, many hosts through their posts here and other forums. Dozens wouldn't have ever made it to my short list, due to the way they interacted with others. If they can get huffy in their posts, I have to wonder how they would be if I ever needed support.

I might add, that due to careful observation over weeks/months, I always chose to pay yearly

I do realise that some don't have the time before they have to grab a host because their previous host closed up shop etc, but it could be an idea to keep options open and observe, well before you need a replacement host
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

I second anon-e-mouse. I do it the same way (observing hosts).
    I am with my current host for 3+ years. You have to realize that its almost like marriage.
    There are ups and downs, but as long as the borders are not crossed I am fine to stay where I am.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Thanks for the added info
    I sent Crystaltech an e mail asking if there was any way I could track down time.
    Overall the support people are pleasant to talk with and they host zencart which I use for my sites products.
    I will check out whreviews PolurNet

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    If I start feeling uncomfortable with a host, I start looking elsewhere.
    Absolutely. I would agree 100% with this statement.

Also as PolurNet stated whreviews is great. Also try running some company names through Google and see what you come up with.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by PolurNET
    Most hosts don't provide clustered failovers, thus I wouldn't make that the sole basis for your decision.
    Some hosts that provide certain degree of fail over.

iweb.ca: Redundant web servers (no downtime), mirrored? MySQL (maybe a few minutes to failover?)
    HostingZoom: Everything mirrored. failover within several minutes?
    Mosso: Details unkown.
    HostTitan: I don't know the details
    Servage.net: webservers are redundant, I think.
    ******: I saw them advertising redundant cluster
    NetFirms: Supposedly redundant
    PowWeb: Redundant webservers ... but not recommended due to non-standard server setup and some other bad practices.
    TGL (or a host using TGL, utilityserve): failover within a few minutes
    MediaTemple: Details unknown.

If the host doesn't have redundant setup, make sure they use at least RAID disk array.
    If they have clustered setup, it's often better than single server setup.

Any advertisement of "reliability" without some form of redundancy is a joke, IMO.
    Of course, good hardware and good server management are important.
    But if a host is serious about "reliability", it should be doing something about the server setup, as well.

I just sent an e mail to Crystaltech asking about the redundant servers

They said there was no way I could keep track of down time w/o some outside software so I asked for a list of the days and time there servers were down this year.

I wonder when they responded with the term hick up if they hoped I would stop asking questions.

Thanks for your added info, I will keep you posted as to what they say.

Doug,

Jan has a great point, I always keep a backup account with updated files of my domains. That way if a server fails or prolonged downtime occurs all I need to do is flip a switch on my dns servers....

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    Absolutely. I would agree 100% with this statement.

Also as PolurNet stated whreviews is great. Also try running some company names through Google and see what you come up with.
    Yeah, trust your instinct. In my experience, when something does not "feel" right, switch. We're lucky that there are so many web hosting companies around so we can pick and choose.

The sad thing is that competition is not causing greater quality web hosting and greater quality support, just lower pricing.
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

Looking for real customer opinions is an excellent way to find out about a host. One place to start is this forum.

Re. the praise heaped on Startlogic in the linked site, I beg to differ...
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by HIU-Jay
    Yeah, trust your instinct. In my experience, when something does not "feel" right, switch. We're lucky that there are so many web hosting companies around so we can pick and choose.
    Sometime, I choose a host for my backup, against "instinct", to see if my "instinct is correct or not.
    As it's for a backup host, I don't risk a lot.

I did this for servage.net.
    Although servage wasn't bad at all (for a low budget host), I didn't like certain things and I decided not to keep it as a candidate for the primary host, after one year and a few months.
    So, my instinct was right, in this case.

The next one I chose for my backup was DreamHost, with the approval of my instinct.
    Several months later, I promoted it for my primary host.

The sad thing is that competition is not causing greater quality web hosting and greater quality support, just lower pricing.
    Prcie competition has been good for users.
    Now, hosts should compete more for the true "reliability", IMO.

Some are competing in the area of support, but that can be a lot more damaging than simple price war.
    If consumers start thinking that supporting 3rd pary script and extensive site management support are the responsibility of hosts, the support cost will sky rocket....