Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please recommend a host.

My ideal host has 0% down-time, good 24/7 support, and the cheapest prices possible (preferably under $10/month).

I need 1GB storage, 1500GB transfer.

If anyone could recommend some hosts to look into, that would be great. Thank you.

"0% downtime" + 1.5TB bandwidth for under $10 a month is never going to happen.

to be honest your looking for too much for so little, try realistic expectations and you may get a few suggestions.
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

Are you sure that you meant 1500 GB of transfer?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jason61287
    My ideal host has 0% down-time, good 24/7 support, and the cheapest prices possible (preferably under $10/month).

If anyone could recommend some hosts to look into, that would be great. Thank you.
    When you find the provider, let me know...i'll use them.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

0% downtime is impossible unless you have your site on a cluster because eventually a server needs to be rebooted for updates.

Okay, so admittely I do not know alot about web-hosting. I am working on a website that I believe could catch on very quick through word-of-mouth and possible media buzz. That means that unique viewership could reach a few hundred-thousand within a matter of weeks or months. The content of the site will consist of content, ads, pictures. No video or audio (I assume that takes alot of bandwith.) I would assume 50 to 100GB storage would be ample for the first few months. So, what kind of hosting do I need for this type of endevour? I would prefer as low as down time as possible, and good bandwith to start. If it happens to take off, I want to be able to increase available bandwith and storage immediately to prevent down time. As far a specific features, I have no idea. I have yet to discuss with a web developer what he might need out of the hosting side, but I would like to get a general sense of cost. From what I've read here, you get what you pay for, and the cheap hosting with alot of bandwith/storage is anything but. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by jason61287; 12-14-2006 at 09:16 PM.

50 - 100 GB of images is A LOT -- just think about it, thats as big as many people's hard drives. Can you be more specific on the type of site you are making, because its tough to give suggestions based on your assumptions.

Maybe I;m calculating this wrong. The site is highly dependent on images. On top of the standard content, each user would also submit a picture, so the higher number of users (hopefully 10,000+ in the first few months) the higher number of pictures will need to be stored. If this sounds like nowhere near 50GB, i guess I thought wrong.

Maybe I;m calculating this wrong. The site is highly dependent on images. On top of the standard content, each user would also submit a picture, so the higher number of users (hopefully 10,000+ in the first few months) the higher number of pictures will need to be stored. If this sounds like nowhere near 50GB, i guess I thought wrong.
    Shouldn't be too hard to find that. However, I would say a reseller plan would more than likely suit your needs a bit better than a shared hosting account. However, a higher web hosting plan may do the trick. I say reseller because they tend to offer higher amounts of diskspace and bandwidth, for a relatively cheaper price (overall)

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    Shouldn't be too hard to find that. However, I would say a reseller plan would more than likely suit your needs a bit better than a shared hosting account. However, a higher web hosting plan may do the trick. I say reseller because they tend to offer higher amounts of diskspace and bandwidth, for a relatively cheaper price (overall)
    I completely disagree here, reseller accounts tend to offer less from my personal experience.

For the original poster: Lets say 10k users upload 2 images each about 1 MB, thats still only 20 GB. But if you software was smart it would compress it to about 50k with JPEG compression.

Yes, with compression total storage should be significantly lower. But, the question still stands, what hosting is best for this situation? Any recommendations? (refer to my second post for bandwith requirements)

Well, there are other missing pieces, such as scripting requirements, and database requirements. At that point its best to do some research, because most companies will probably meet your criteria.

You need a dedicated server buddy, shared hosting isn't going to cut it. Also, try looking at $120+ per month for what you need. Under $10? No.

go mediatemple or Dreamhost.

Your requirement ideas seem vague. I suggest you start a bit easy and open a shared account. If you are as wildly successful as you believe, you can upgrade later.

As already said, there's no such thing as 0% downtime/100% uptime.

I have a site that boasts 99.97% uptime, which I think is pretty good.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I agree to be honest, if it was me, i would start off with a shared hosting account as just mentioned (one that isnt tied in to a x month contract) and then if you do outgrow it as quick as you think you are then you can move on.

That will give you some actual figures on how much bandwidth you are going to be using etc so you can be more specific

dedicated server will be needed probably if you say it will take so much space and transfer.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

I highly doubt you will be as successful as you assume so quickly without a major advertising campaign. You should start with an average shared hosting account, and eventually upgrade to a dedicated server when the time is right.
    Zero Unit Hosting - 24/7 support, PHP, MySQL, site builder, script library
    Web Host Friend Online Hosting Directory - Submit Your Site!

check out jodohost.com

Quote Originally Posted by MrWiz
    I highly doubt you will be as successful as you assume so quickly without a major advertising campaign. You should start with an average shared hosting account, and eventually upgrade to a dedicated server when the time is right.
    I agree.

I mean, cmon, i saw you mention that you'll reach over a few 100K's of uniques within a week? ( or was it page views? ) either way, it ain't going to happen that fast. It takes time

The OP already stated he did not know much about web hosting. Which also tells me he more than likely doesn't know much about ROI tracking or even visitor stats. However, glad to see someone with goals and ambitions, which I don't think should be pounded into the ground.

To the OP: I hope you do reach your goal, don't give up until you do. However, like the others have stated perhaps you should start off a bit slow and grow from there as most providers will allow upgrades for free.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think that I have decided to go with a cheap, $4/month plan to launch a "coming soon" site while I work with a developer to build the full site. I figure that the developer will know specifically what we will need from a host, and I"ll just go with whatever he recommends.

I have one more question. Obviously, I don't need much out of my initial hosting plan for the "coming soon" site, but I have read complaints about some hosts being bad about technical support, payments, etc. Please recommend a cheap and trustworthy host that I can rely on to get things rolling.

Jason,

There's a number of providers out there who can handle it for budget level pricing.
    My best recommendation would be to check the latest reviews you see listed around WHT -- e.g. do a search for review and see what some of them are.

Best of luck with the hunt!

In many cases cheap and relaible do not mix well. However as David as stated there are some out there that can be reliable and there when you call on them for support. I would say if you need a budget plan try search around directories like tophosts.com which will allow you to search by your specific needs. Then get a list together and come back here to search for reviews on those companies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast