Exclamation Good wordpress host

Can anyone suggest a solid wordpress host with solid CPUs. My current host keeps dropping my site because of CPU usage issues. I have optimized my database, installed wp-cache2, removed any unnecessary plugins, and still today my site as suspended. My current site rcvs about 1000 unique per day with 2000 hits and has about 400MB of bandwidth usage.

If anyone has a solid suggestion of a host that will be able to accommodate this site and allow add-on domain for my other small sites I would appreciate.

The majority of shared hosts should have no problem accommodating you.

perhaps your site has outgrown your shared server. can they offer you a reasonable upgrade or solution, so that you can get back into business?

it sounds like you've taken reasonable steps towards resolving the issues and it still isn't enough.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

I generally get nice speeds on Servage (example); that's WordPress with over a dozen plug-ins, but not wp-cache or any other caching/optimisation plugin.

They also make use of a fairly basic clustered set-up, which as I understand it basically routes your visitors to the least busy server in the cluster. While it won't stand up to the kind of beating a more expensive cluster solution like Mosso can take, it'll probably be more than enough for you.

the only solution they offer is to move me to a semi-dedicated server for 4 times thr prive per month. I am looking athe suggested hosts on wordpress.org and dreamhost seems to be decently reviewed

Most of the "suggested" hosts at wordpress have affiliate program links at CJ, that's don't make them good or bad, but the reviews about them (in most of the self-called webhosting directories) are fake and trying to bias your decission so they can take their payment for a new affiliate.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

good point jedito I dind't even think about that

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams
    I generally get nice speeds on Servage (example); that's WordPress with over a dozen plug-ins, but not wp-cache or any other caching/optimisation plugin.

They also make use of a fairly basic clustered set-up, which as I understand it basically routes your visitors to the least busy server in the cluster. While it won't stand up to the kind of beating a more expensive cluster solution like Mosso can take, it'll probably be more than enough for you.
    They use network load balancing AND a cluster setup to avoid server outage.

15000 hits / day and 2000 unique visitors shouldn't be a problem with them.
    -Mr Bister

perhaps your site has outgrown your shared server.
    Could be, but I find it strange given the details he gave regarding his usage, that shared hosting can't still be a solution for his site.

i signed up over at servage since they cluter and split the cpu usage over multiple servers. my current host did not and Servage said my site won't be an issue. i will update in a week and let you know how it is going.

i appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by johntp
    i signed up over at servage since they cluter and split the cpu usage over multiple servers. my current host did not and Servage said my site won't be an issue. i will update in a week and let you know how it is going.

Good luck with them!
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 12-15-2006 at 01:18 AM.

I hope you have as good an experience with Servage as I have.

Another bonus of Servage that I forgot to mention earlier is that they have consistently responded to all my email support requests -- some of which were reasonably complex (ie: involving DNS, etc) -- within four minutes and resolved within ten. Certainly much better than the several hour waits I had with Dreamhost, and even the 20-40 waits with Media Temple.

Thumbs up Good Luck

John,

Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

Let us know how it turns out. Hope if your satisfied with their service we will hear a review from you within 6 months or so. Keep us updated!
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Could be, but I find it strange given the details he gave regarding his usage, that shared hosting can't still be a solution for his site.
    Spammers have hit WordPress sites pretty hard recently. I had seven WordPress sites that I host on Dual Xeon/Dual Opteron servers nearly crash the servers because of the comment spam attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Too
    Spammers have hit WordPress sites pretty hard recently. I had seven WordPress sites that I host on Dual Xeon/Dual Opteron servers nearly crash the servers because of the comment spam attacks.
    I've noticed this as well, I suppose the best way to combat it is to require user registration in order to post comments. However, many times people will not want to do this. John, if you allow users to post comments without registering, that could have been part of the problem with the server load issue. Just a thought.
    Zero Unit Hosting - 24/7 support, PHP, MySQL, site builder, script library
    Web Host Friend Online Hosting Directory - Submit Your Site!

Install the Akismet plugin, and Wordpress will filter a lot of the spam comments for you.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Can anyone suggest a solid wordpress host with solid CPUs. My current host keeps dropping my site because of CPU usage issues. I have optimized my database, installed wp-cache2, removed any unnecessary plugins, and still today my site as suspended. My current site rcvs about 1000 unique per day with 2000 hits and has about 400MB of bandwidth usage.
    I have double than your hit's and bandwidth usage still in shared hosting. I don’t face any problem still.
    Let me know what are plugin’s currently your using on

NOTE: update your askimet plugin now if it's old

i don't prefer askimet even wordpress forum get spammed

use this http://unknowngenius.com/blog/wordpress/spam-karma/

which consume less cpu
    Last edited by mustaq; 12-16-2006 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpli-Erica
    Install the Akismet plugin, and Wordpress will filter a lot of the spam comments for you.

None of the WordPress antispam filters help with these attacks. I see hundreds of these in the website's access log:

"POST /wordpress/wp-comments-post.php HTTP/1.0" 200

One website had over 400 of these posted in a 2 minute time period even though the blog required commenters to register. It did not place a load on the server but it used all available httpd connections. Suspending the site didn't help. In one case the attack lasted for well over a day and I eventually had to change the domain name on that site.

Hi all,

I have similar issues that I am attempting to address. I just launched www.links.com, as a blog/directory which features, what we believe to be, the best sites on the web. We are going to keep it to the top five or ten sites in each of the 24 (or so) categories that we created. The initial response to the site has been very positive, however, it has been down a lot on bluehost.com. Last night I had at least 3 hours of outage, and mabe more. It was down the night before.

Hence, I am looking for a hosting site that can possibly manage a site like links.com. The usuage at this time is pretty low at about 1000 visitors/day. But I think it will ramp up quickly. I am going to try out Hostgator, because I believe I need 24*7 phone support, but if anyone has heard of any better sites for wordpress blogs, I would be really interested in knowing about it. I spent some time checking out the most popular blogs to see where they are being hosted. I noticed that mediatemple is one of the hosting sites that comes up pretty frequently, however I have read mixed reviews. Since I am interested in building links.com into a major site, I am willing to pay extra money for extra value, particularly if the hosting site is setup to handle growth-oriented sites.

Let me know what you guys find out. I'll let you know how things turn with Hostgator.

Rich

None of the WordPress antispam filters help with these attacks. I see hundreds of these in the website's access log:

Yes, I can see why. It is one thing to trap spam, yet another thing to repel attacks. It is definitely an industry issue. Does anyone have any opinions about the various filters available including Askimet, Bad Bahavior and Spam Karma? Also, I am reluctant to use wp-cache2 since it does seem to have some known problems such as installing dynamic plug-ins. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich

My current site rcvs about 1000 unique per day with 2000 hits and has about 400MB of bandwidth usage.
    I do not see how that could be a problem for any decent host. You may want to check if your host has some seriously overloaded/oversold servers.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by richrf
    Yes, I can see why. It is one thing to trap spam, yet another thing to repel attacks. It is definitely an industry issue. Does anyone have any opinions about the various filters available including Askimet, Bad Bahavior and Spam Karma? Also, I am reluctant to use wp-cache2 since it does seem to have some known problems such as installing dynamic plug-ins. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich
    It's very easy to detect certain types of access in the begining of the script,
    and stop processing, and moreover, adding the IP to .htaccess for "deny"ing.

You can use RewriteRule for dynamic IP based ban system if you don't want to edit .htaccess by the script, which is a bit risky.
    (The script can corrupt .htaccess if it's not written properly.)

I can show you examples if you want.

If php is running as CGI, a small wrapper can be written (in C/shell script/Ocaml, etc..) to do the same thing BEFORE the heavy/risky PHP starts.
    It would make the site a lot more resistant for this kind of problem.
    (Similar thing can be done by a patch to the web server or as a module, I guess.)

One website had over 400 of these posted in a 2 minute time period even though the blog required commenters to register. It did not place a load on the server but it used all available httpd connections. Suspending the site didn't help. In one case the attack lasted for well over a day and I eventually had to change the domain name on that site.
    We had a similar thing on one of our servers and it has been taking out Apache fairly regularly. We ended up making wp-comments-post.php a blank file and this has stopped the problems for now. Still getting a huge amount of hits to it though.
    Steve

Yeah, it's definitely a good idea to get a plugin that renames your core WordPress comment files; not only does it prevent certain captchas and such from being circumvented, but it generally reduces load issues if the file isn't there for bots to hammer.

And yes, if you use a captcha/anti-spam script and they still get through, it's more likely the script doesn't stop bots from directly interacting with the comment file and avoiding your form altogether; not all plugins suffer from this, but a good few certainly did back when I did the anti-spam WordPress solution rounds a while ago.
    Last edited by Ryan Williams; 12-19-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Steve, I adviced the same strategy to a person that is getting 10,000 comments a day, and their webhoster told them that it would do nothing. Now I know that it does work. Thank you for confirming it.

Things are getting tough...
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

We had two problems with our client. The first one was the number of HTTP connections was always very close to 350 (the limit on that server) which was causing Apache to die out. At first we renamed the file, but the Wordpress Error 404 page also pulls some data from the Database which was causing a load increase. We put the file back as a 100% blank page. It will still count as a connection to Apache which is half the problem, but there is no further processing to be done. We are still averaging 50 or so connections to it at a time but it hasn't been causing an issue for the last few days.

The way I see if there are two reasons, either the bots can record when a website doesn't let in comments so stops trying, or simply the number hitting this site has just stopped anyway so using a blank file has made no help anyway.
    Steve