The Ville

Question about streaming a radio station

Someone who I setup a website for is asking about streaming. They want to stream, but I have no idea how they can do that from their feed from the radio station. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me how to do this with a radio station?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

My Portfolio:

Pennsylvania, USA
    Check out SHOUTcast Server:

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Regina, Saskatchewan, CA
    I've been using Icecast for a while now and like it.

Get a machine running Linux (or another Unix variant).
    You need the software installed on a machine other than where the digital media is stored. The LiveIce(sn) application will interfere with your ability to use /dev/dsp so keeping it off the same machine is the best idea. The config is pretty straight forward but there is a Tk (I think it's Tk) application that will help you set one up.

Also install Icecast on the second machine. The config for it is a bit more confusing as it's just XML stuff but there are lots of people out there on their forums and mailing lists that can help you.

The digital media would exit the sound card (line-out) and go (over RCA cables or whatever works for you) into either the second computer's sound card (line-in) directly or into a mixer. While running, Icecast will stream out anything that your sound card picks up. This makes it easy to broadcast anything that feeds into your sound card including mixerx and any number of devices. These guys make good stuff.
    Bill - Support Analyst - Liveblock Auctions International