Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1&1 Internet Inc. Is Ripping Me Off...

This is my review of a company, regarding a service I never even utilized. I am having a ridiculous problem with 1&1 right now.

They sent bills (for $30) to the wrong address (to a town I've never lived in) and when I didn't pay, they began a collection. I saw it on my credit report when I got one TWO YEARS LATER. I am a conscientious billpayer and paid that day.

Then, without telling me, 1&1 reactivated my account and began sending bills to the same wrong address. Now, in order to cancel, they want me to fax them a filled out PDF form in order to officially change my email and then my physical address, so that I can email them a cancellation from my actual, current address.

If I pay the bill (in NCO's hands now), the rep told me, the process starts all over again...they reactivate the account and start billing me at the wrong address, then go to collections. In other words, if I pay the measly $30 again before I puzzle out their complex directions for canceling, I screw myself for a third time and get yet another collection against my credit.

And I'm trying to get a mortgage. This isn't helping.

This all seems terribly complicated to remove the only black-mark on my credit report (now TWO blackmarks) for an item I already paid. The heck with 1 & 1 and their predatory practices. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and will post my story on any site that will listen until 1&1 agrees to remove these blackmarks from my credit and cancel my account. I don't have easy access to a fax machine, but I am working on that. Still, it seems like they make you jump through way too many hoops, especially when you've made a conscientious effort to pay their bill.

I've read tons of stories of similar issues. 1&1 Internet Inc. has got to be stopped, or at least controlled.
    Lots of people are mad at 1&1: http://www.1and1sucks.info/

Your website makes interesting reading and I think there are many users like yourself who have had bad experiences with this company.

I myself used to use 1and1 for hosting in the early days, and always with great difficulty. More recently I have been using their email services WITHOUT difficulty but only because I'ver never had to phone for support and I've prepaid a year.

After reading the above story and tyour complain to the BBB I would recommend a lawsuit to recoup everything you have paid them and hopefully get your credit rating clear again.

Thanks...

Hey VT6, thanks for your understanding.

It's nice just to know that it isn't only me who feels this kind of treatment is outrageous. I have thought about legal action, but I am afraid it would be very expensive. Also, I want to give them one more long chance (starting now and ending after they hear from the BBB) to make things right. The BBB normally responds within 30 days, so I'm hoping to hear from 1&1 by then. Meanwhile, I'm taking the story to places like Rip-Off Report.

Here it is: I don't take this kind of infringement lightly. I'm going to make damn sure this costs 1&1 a lot more trouble than the $30 it will cost me to pay it off (if that's the route I take.)

I would also suggest that you contact the attorney general for your state. He/She will be able to give you advice on what you should do in your current situation. He will be able to give you legal advice, and if they are breaking the law he will begin an investigation into their business pactices. It may be a 10min phone call that could save everything.

Lane

Wow...

Yeah, I guess you're right. If I don't hear from them soon, I'll contact the AG. I do wonder if they're breaking the law or just being unethical. I mean, it's entirely likely that they have in their contract an "automatic reactivation." Of course, being collected against for items sent to a wrong address is also a problem, but again, most likely a gap in communication (between them and the collection agency I explained this to the first time I paid.)

I just wish they'd come through like a legitimate company and prevent all this hassle from continuing in the first place. A simple maneuver on their part would solve the dilemma: cancel my account and request for NCO to have the collections removed from my report. That would get them paid (I'd gladly shell out the chump-change $30 to put this behind me), improve my credit, and make everyone involved happy.

Meanwhile, it's "DOWN WITH 1&1!", until I hear from the BBB. I've already posted in many different complaint sites, and will continue to find more. I work from my PC at home...so I've got nothing better to do! =)

PS: Do you think they ever frequent these boards? Or consumer complaint sites? Should I send them links to my messages, to show them I'm serious about getting some justice?

To be honest, companies of their size out source all of their support and sales, so i highly doubt they would care if your posting anything. 1and1 is a huge web host, and Im not sure that they would rightly care about you posting here.

The only thing that get them at all concerned, would be the phone call from the Attorney General. I know that almost any company that gets a call from one gets scared sick.

Lane

Ok

But do you think the BBB will be effective, or was that maybe barking up the wrong tree? I'm just not sure how these things work, but if the AG is better than the BBB, that's who I should probably go with.

BBB is a way to file complaints against a business and get legal action taken, but they taken a long time.

If you contact your AG, you will have action taken immediately. So if you plan on getting a loan, I wouldnt be waiting on BBB to get back with you.

Lane

Got it

Ok, thanks for all your help. I'll follow your advice. First I'm writing to 1&1 one last time, informing them I am going to the AG if they won't talk reasonably, to see if we can work it out. If I don't hear back I'll call the AG.

Thanks again!

Goodluck! Let us all know how everything works out for you.

Lane

Hi!
    This is a story I've heard many times. I have signed up with them...but are keeping them on a very, very short leash. I use their email services now..and even that one piece is not very good...but ok for now.

The problem is clear: The AG's and BBB only take action when many, many people complain to them about the same thing. The reason is simple..crank complaints and limited resources. More people need to complain..it's just as simple as that.

I figured they were like that...but signed up anyway..for the goodies.

I will cancel in writing in plenty of time..and see if they really do honor these (doubtful). We shall see...

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I used to use 1and1 a long time back and I found that they are like playing with fire, no matter how good their services sound and are, you always get burned.

Lane

This behaviour is typical of 1&1, from several stories I've seen. I would never do business with them.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Well, I wrote them...

I emailed 1&1 and reiterated my story and position, and told them I had contacted the BBB and was planning on contacting the AG if they don't agree to deal with me reasonably. I hope they email me back, I really just want this aggravation to end. I even offered to pay them their money. Heck, I'd pay it twice if it would stop this nonsense.

Anybody remember National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? The part where Chevy Chase says:

"I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d*ckless, hopeless, heartless, fat-*ss, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh*t he is. Hallelujah. Holy sh*t. Where's the Tylenol?"

It would be no exaggeration to say that right about now that's how I feel about whoever is in charge of 1&1 Internet Inc. Well, I can only pray that their holiday seasons ends up even worse and more stressful than they are making mine and my fiancee's.

I love Christmas Vacation, awsome movie. I also want to add, i do believe you are one of the few who are handling situations like very rationally. I am glad there are still clients out there like this. Makes my life alot better, as a host.

Lane

Thank ya...

Hmm...maybe when we need another site hosted, I'll come to you. You seem like a reasonable sort of fellow. The kind a guy can actually talk at. Good to know people like that are still out there.

Regards,
    Ed

I would like to think you were speaking to me, if not Im sorry. I thank you very much for your compliments, and I look forward to possibility to serving you in the future.

Best reagrds,

Lane

All I can say is; you're doing a great work! I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you can teach them a lesson. I still can't understand how come these kind of companies don't reason.

BBB is a way to file complaints against a business and get legal action taken, but they taken a long time.
    Get legal action taken? Highly unlikely. BBB is not a governmental agency, so it can't force a company to act in any way. You're much better off trying to directly convince some governmental authorities to take some kind of action.

Update...

1&1's customer service wrote back, telling me to call billing and that they will be able to help me. They also said they "understand my frustration." I guess we shall see...tomorrow, when I call.

Let us know how it goes. I hope they get everything squared away for you.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Update

I know you're all just dying to know how my quest for justice (and account cancellation) is going, so I'll share some of today's effort to cancel my account.

It's funny. The other day 1&1 told me I could email my change of address form (which they say they needed to be able to cancel my account) instead of faxing it. I downloaded it, and it is a PDF that does not allow saved form info...so I can't fill it out unless I print it.

So I just typed it all in an email. They have some crazy questions in there. Keeping in mind that I had this account for one month over two years ago, before two moves, two jobs, and a divorce, am I really expected to remember what my account number and Contact ID was, what my email address was at the time of registry, and exactly which credit card I used?

Heck, I might HAVE this info if they had ever sent a bill to my correct address.

There was also a spot for a signature, which I'm sure they'll hassle me over, too. It's hard to sign an email. Can't wait to hear the official word on my very incomplete (and sarcastic) official form.

What a clever bunch of extortionists they are. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

It would be no exaggeration to say that right about now that's how I feel about whoever is in charge of 1&1 Internet Inc.
    In case you want a face to go with that feeling: http://www.hostsearch.com/interview/...ugust_2004.asp

From http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Fac...b?__frame=_top
    Customers: 5.87 million customers on paid services
    If they would willingly, as a matter of policy, engage in "extortions", we would certainly hear a lot more such reports, given the size of their business. IMO this may very well be an unfortunate, random billing issue. Funny though how it is the customer that must jump through the hoops and incur various costs, in order to get his name cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by psychocy
    I know you're all just dying to know how my quest for justice (and account cancellation) is going, so I'll share some of today's effort to cancel my account.

It's funny. The other day 1&1 told me I could email my change of address form (which they say they needed to be able to cancel my account) instead of faxing it. I downloaded it, and it is a PDF that does not allow saved form info...so I can't fill it out unless I print it.

So I just typed it all in an email. They have some crazy questions in there. Keeping in mind that I had this account for one month over two years ago, before two moves, two jobs, and a divorce, am I really expected to remember what my account number and Contact ID was, what my email address was at the time of registry, and exactly which credit card I used?

Heck, I might HAVE this info if they had ever sent a bill to my correct address.

There was also a spot for a signature, which I'm sure they'll hassle me over, too. It's hard to sign an email. Can't wait to hear the official word on my very incomplete (and sarcastic) official form.

What a clever bunch of extortionists they are. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
    Send the form back via certified mail {signature requires} and cc the Better Business Bureau for your state an their state, and the state consumer protection agencies.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Hi!

Perhaps they don't "extort" regularly, but that's how I view what they are doing to me (and all the others I have seen on the Internet who have claimed to suffer this issue.) I say this owing to the definition of extortion in Black's Law dictionary...

"The obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right."

They, in my opinion, are using the "color of official right" to take my money and ruin my credit (which causes me fear) without giving me a fair chance to stop them. If they would let me cancel my contract I wouldn't feel this way, but they are making it extremely difficult for me to do so.

I also don't think it's a random issue. I have read many incidents of this exact situation elsewhere on the web...automatic reactivation of accounts resulting in aggravation and trouble for the customer. If they were an upright, honest company, they would do away with the single portion of their policy that IMO is causing sites like 1&1 Sucks to be created.

They would also be willing to attempt to assist customers (especially ones who are willing to pay them) when they called. Instead I was told that if I pay, they'll charge me again, and it will go off to a collection agency again.

That's just not right. Period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast