Local advertising (but how do you do it)?

Okay - once again I confirm I have no interest in hosting or designing websites.

I have read many posts and the main emphasis on good advertising is to post offers and topics on WHT and alike and to approach shops and stores on the local high street and sell your hosting to them.

What I don't understand is how would you sell hosting to shops and stores? Do you just go in and say I have some hosting accounts for sale or drop a leaflet through the letterbox advertising hosting accounts? I presume you would have to offer to design their website (and maintain it by updating it) as selling hosting in itself would be nigh on impossible.

Am I right or wrong in this assumption?

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

I have the same question. In my previous hosting businesses I never advertised locally because most places that you coud potentially sell are looking for a designer/hosting combo. Not many businesses in my area have a web site and are looking for a separate host. They want one company to do it all for them. I suppose there is an opportunity in itself for some people.

The other issue I have is, many hosters are small secondary businesses, who outsource the data center, servers, and support. What good is it to sell to a local company, but after they signup they deal with servers and support half way across the country?

To me local advertising is for fully established companies that have complementing services. I think for most hosts your efforts and money are better spent going after the masses.
    Mike Johnson - thehostinglist.com
    Reviews of the world's top web hosting providers
    Check our reviews at thehostinglist.com before you buy your web hosting package!

Hi!
    I have no clue about the door-to-door route..and have no intention of finding out. I can share with you some things about what I do use..classified advertising.

There are no steadfast rules...all must be learn-as-you-go. What works for me..may not work for you. The rules are simple, though.

As with any form of advertising:

1) Must be cost-effective
    2) Must be trackable (otherwise..how do you know what worked?)
    3) Must get the customer's attention
    4) May or may not be entertaining as well

With classified advertising..the shotgun tactic is useless. Oh...you may hit one or two..but then...how much did it cost?

I like smalltown newspapers. Not only are they cheap...with time..it can work well.
    The copy must be catchy..but not too used car salesman-ish.

I don't have solid numbers yet..too early in the game...but I'm convinced it will work. We will see.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Unless you're good at walking into a shop and selling your services, don't do it, IMO.

Think about how a small business owner would have found their other tools and services that they use...

1. Word of mouth
    2. Newspaper Articles? This is a big one IMO. What if the owner's son/parent/spouse is reading this and thinks it's a good idea, they might mention it and now it means a lot more.
    3. Flyers? Customized pamphlets?

Those are just a few ideas, use your own imagination and see what you can do
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Imagine life before the internet. And how you would advertise without it

Just pointing out that I have no intention of selling webhosting space.

I was just wondering how would one go about selling webhosting to shops/stores face to face as people mention they have done in this section. Surely you have to sell the whole package (webhost account PLUS website) to get any results?

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

I would think you can get some hosting only clients, but I would think your best bet is to hit up the designers/developers. From my experience most businesses will trust the opinion of their developer to choose the host.
    Mike Johnson - thehostinglist.com
    Reviews of the world's top web hosting providers
    Check our reviews at thehostinglist.com before you buy your web hosting package!

Quote Originally Posted by thehostinglist
    I would think you can get some hosting only clients, but I would think your best bet is to hit up the designers/developers. From my experience most businesses will trust the opinion of their developer to choose the host.
    Exactly, as every website needs a host These guys deal with websites everyday. Good recommend.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

You need to get some LOCAL attention and brand recongition by sponsoring local events (football game where parents come to see kids, may be local fair or something like that) - give them (management of event) some money and ask to put your name on visible places. It is one of most effective way to send your message to local masses. Even if they don't need it now, they will remember and contact you later.

And about design - find some designers from internet and outsource development to others if you don't have your own designers - you will win anyway by getting new business.