Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1TB of space needed!

Hello, does anyone know where I can find a server that has atleast 1TB of space on it? Thank you!

Probably, one of the new grid/cluster services (such as Netfirms Enterprise) would be your best bet. Do you mind my asking what you will be hosting?
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

You need that in a shared environment?

What application needs 1TB space?

I think you need to re-evaluate your needs. 1TB is pretty hefty and I am sure will cost a pretty penny.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

What application needs 1TB space?
    Good question! Most likely he is running a lot of websites (100+) on one server that receives a lot of daily hits and uses up a lot of bandwidth and its resources. If one application/website uses 1TB of hard drive space, he needs multiple accounts/servers.

As Dan from GlobalWeb suggested, a clustered solution should be your best bet. Also, take a look at www.mediatemple.net - they have a lot of higher-end solutions that should most likely fit your requirements.

What exactly are you hosting?

I think you should talk with a host that can provide custom package,
    or someone who can do specialized dedicated server setup (and optionally maintainance).

For a host using big filer, I don't think 1TB is a problem.
    Even DreamHost provides a shared hosting package with 500GB disk and 5TB BW.

Better hosts can come up with quote if you use the WHT's quote feature, I guess.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

The question is are you just looking for 1 TB space to have enough, or do you need 1 TB of RAW data?

If we're talking raw data, it's not going to be inexpensive. Hopefully with 1 TB of data you can make some sort of ROI from it.

As for if it's "just in case", maybe aim a little lower

Maybe you should go to a dedicated environment, just a suggestion though.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

I have over 1TB of christian material mostly audio. Our server cannot support all of it so we're upgrading.

Are you just using it as a backup source, or are you streaming / giving it to other people to listen to online?
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Art, i guess get a dedicated server with big hard disk. I would not recommend storing your audio files under shared hosting account, just in case, your host deleted them because your account contain more mp3 than html files. That is consider as storage which most hosts don't allow.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

I'm looking for a server that only I will be using. And yes, it will be for streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemchik
    I'm looking for a server that only I will be using. And yes, it will be for streaming.
    If you are planning on streaming with multiple users at once, then you also need a lot of bandwith, I suggest to get a customized solution maybe a cluster with 2 or 3 servers with enough bandwith.

Do you have a budget on mind?
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Artemchik,

1) Whats your budget ?
    2) Where MAINLY are your target customers (Country, evt. Town) ?
    3) How many concurrent users ?
    4) I do assume its non critical material (non scienetology) etc. ?

I guess its easier to go from there.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Well, I'm hoping it will be from $100-$250 if possible. And this will be for the whole United States and some other countries, but mostly US. I don't know about the concurrent users. And yes, it is non-critical material.

Does anyone know where I can find a server with 1TB of space and enough bandwidth? I can also buy my own server and stick it into a server farm, is it possible? And how much would it cost?

you will want to lease a server frome ev1 and have a 1tb partition from their bluarc mounted on it

http://ev1servers.net/CustomSolution...tyStorage.aspx

avvit

If it's not critical, and IF you are fine with http streaming, using two (or more) budget hosting account can be the easiest and cheapest method.

Recently, there was someone reporting to be using 6 to 7 TB of bandwidth per month,
    using 3 servage.net accounts.
    You would need four accounts to have 1TB, though.
    It will cost you only $40 / month (or less, using coupon).

You can have 1TB of disk using two DreamHost's highest plan.
    And you have the MAX bandwidth of 10 TB per month, and also their new YouTube like flash streaming feature.
    (They do support apple type streaming, too, I think.)
    Two of biggest account costs about $100 per month.
    As you have 97 days money back garantee, not much of risk trying out.
    If you qualify as IRS's non-profits status, you can get one, free , too.

Also, there are many other hosts who offer free or discounted hosting for non-profits with papers.
    Karl from Utropicmedia said he will gladly offer business class streaming for free if you have the status, for example.
    (I don't know if he is willing to offer 1TB of storage and the bandwidth that goes with it or not, though.)

This thrad has some info about generous hosts.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=567726

Best thing you might be able to do is find a provider who can do software RAID-0 across 2x500GB disks and install the OS it. Be warned though you will have no redundancy and a failure of one disk will result in the loss of all your data. IF you are willing to do that then you should be fine
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Artemchik
    Well, I'm hoping it will be from $100-$250 if possible. And this will be for the whole United States and some other countries, but mostly US. I don't know about the concurrent users. And yes, it is non-critical material.

Does anyone know where I can find a server with 1TB of space and enough bandwidth? I can also buy my own server and stick it into a server farm, is it possible? And how much would it cost?
    For what you are asking in terms of storage space I think it will be difficult to stay within your $100-$250/month target for a reliable dedicated server. It may be considerably more methinks. On the other hand, if you can take advantage of a non-profit status and can obtain discounts based on this, perhaps it is possible. There are a few christian webhosts, one of which is graceNet.org and they do offer dedicated servers. I do not know if they can meet your requirements however.

PS: Gosh I just noticed Im a 'Junior Guru Wannabe' now. Such excitement this morning.
    Last edited by tknterry; 12-14-2006 at 09:40 AM.

A RAID-5 with 3x500GB drives will do you nice. Redundant, too. I'd hate to see that array have to rebuild, though.

You would need 3 x 750GB drives in RAID5.

Quote Originally Posted by carlgm
    You would need 3 x 750GB drives in RAID5.

How so? 3 x 750 would give you 1.5 TB striped across three drives.

Thread moved to Dedicated Server Forum.

Maybe someone can actually point the OP to some hosting companies that can provide what he's after.

What sort of processing power do you need? And what are your bandwidth requirements? A server with that much space through a provider will be expensive, and co-locating a server would probably make itself worth while within a year or shortly thereafter.

sayeth Artemchik 'Well, I'm hoping it will be from $100-$250 if possible.'

Add a '0' if you are serious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast