Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In response to the above post, Nexpoint will not process any overage charges without warning. Our Abuse department will warn clients when they are over the monthly bandwidth alottment. In addition, we will work with our clients to reach a resolution, whether it is increasing the monthly bandwidth alottment, processing the overage fees, etc.

Thank you.

Well I just got myself that
    dual core special.
    Now, i am just waiting for the server.

I wonder if bandwith is burstable over
    10Mb/sec

Quote Originally Posted by bwrob
    I wonder if bandwith is burstable over 10Mb/sec
    Unless you select the $20/mo upgrade to a 100mbit port, I suspect that will be rather tough to do.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

I want that dual core... doesnt show up on your site though.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky
    I want that dual core... doesnt show up on your site though.
    yeh, it was at the top of the list on the order page -- must have sold out i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by igrove
    yeh, it was at the top of the list on the order page -- must have sold out i guess.
    yeah, seems such. But they're still advertising it on the url that's posted, just doesnt show up while you're trying to place an order.

oh well! I should have ordered it last night when I was thinking about it.

Yes, due to an overwhelming response from the WHT community, the Dual Core Special is now Sold Out. Thank you to everyone that placed an order.

Angry

Hi!

Anyone suffered problems with HAPPY HOLIDAYS DUAL CORE SPECIAL Intel Pentium IV Dual Core 2.66Ghz Processor???

It looks that my server suffered from overheating and went down 5 hours ago...and it was not in use at all, only one domain for nameservers.....

And live support do not work a whole day today, which is a quite unprofessional despite that it is a holiday/non working day.... one day without live support is OK, but today is third one!

Regards
    jailbird2

LOL so is mine.
    During wht benchmark overheated.
    Support removed it.
    Still waiting for replacement.
    Must have a bad batch of something.
    I have a feeling that i will be waiting for awhile for replacement.( hope i am wrong )

Well, they had a good intention to give us a Xmas special.

bob
    Last edited by bwrob; 12-26-2006 at 01:20 PM.

How to tell

Hi.

I don't want to take this thread completely off-topic, but how can I tell if mine is suffering?

So far I've hardly used it, but I plan to quite soon -- obviously if I'm going to crash and burn I'd like to know beforehand!

:-)

I've had to contact support a couple of times and they've been great -- quick and friendly responses.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by igrove
    Hi.

I don't want to take this thread completely off-topic, but how can I tell if mine is suffering?

So far I've hardly used it, but I plan to quite soon -- obviously if I'm going to crash and burn I'd like to know beforehand!

:-)

I've had to contact support a couple of times and they've been great -- quick and friendly responses.

Dave.

Somewhere is syslog you can find info about that, mine looked like this:
    Message from syslogd@worldwide5 at Tue Dec 26 08:37:23 2006 ...
    > worldwide5 kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

decided to give this deal a shot too. server crashed quite a few times with very little usage. mentioned overheating as it was evident in the logs to dedicated@nexpoint.net, was told everything was fine, server crashed again. they did a reimage, crashed again. now awaiting new machine as well, like the rest. i am at least happy they recognized the issue and intend to make good on it.

So it seem that they got a bad batch of something.
    It probably will take some time to fix it.
    Would be nice if nexpoint would comment here on that issue.

bob

they mentioned a handful of a new batch being bad, but thats the last i heard from them on the matter. overall they seem to have a decent team, so i hope they can pull this off and get a working machine together soon.

All concerns that have been directed to the Dedicated Server department (via email, phone, ticket, etc.) are currently being addressed by Technical Support. An administrator is currently at the data center replacing/re-configuring any hardware/servers as needed. However, due to the holidays, shipment of any necessary replacement parts has been slowed.
    We are attempting to rectify any outstanding issues as soon as possible.

Well, mine is fixed and working fine.
    I tested it with wht benchmark and no more
    overheating problems.

Now i got a lot of catchup to do.

bob

my server was not fixed. it broke down through the night while directadmin was sending some client backups over.

looks like maybe my server WAS NOT setup from new equipment, that it was indeed the same equipment from before that was failing.

this debacle has been going on for almost 1 week now.

ok. i have since asked for a full refund as this has been going on for too long and i have lost all faith in this company.

my quick review: support is courtesy and helpful.
    datacenter techs: ????

i've never had any machines in any datacenter fail like this, with no serverload. i was given the run around for a handful of days, worked several times to get everything operational only to have it continually crashing.

waited 2 more days with no service. was told i was going to be on new hardware that was tested and would not fail.

and poof, it failed during the night while doing some basic work that was not stressful to the box at all.

this to me was the last straw and a sad indication on how these guys do business. i lost trust, and now i want my money back.

Well I was googling a bit about it.
    It seem that P4 D 2..6 and centos had some problems the way centos
    is reporting overhating but on 1 cpu only.
    So in my opinion P4 D 2.6 might be a bit too prone to overheating.
    Therefore, i think it needs a bigger heatsink with a big blower and a matching fan.
    Maybe that is why most dedi providers offer P4 D 2.8 and up, with matching price.
    I do daily wht benchmark test and logwatch on my server to see if there is any
    sign of overheating.

my 2 cents worth
    bob
    Last edited by bwrob; 12-29-2006 at 01:46 PM.

yeah, alot of the dual core boxes need to be in very cool rooms or have alot of extra cooling added to the chasis as well as the stock heatsink/fan replaced for better.

i've built several dual core machines, from 2.6 to 3.2. the 3.2's of course get the hottest, but overall the 2.8s seem to be the most stable.

i just assumed a datacenter who had these in service had a working system for these types of boxes. i know now i assumed wrong and i'm going to definitely stay away from dual core boxes unless i've built them.

i just hope i get my refund in a timely manner. i haven't been a jerk to the support staff, i found them helpful and at least they tried to save face for this company. they deserve a nice christmas bonus imho.

nexpoint has refunded in full in a very timely fashion. its unfortunate this didn't work out as the deal was great and nexpoint is very professional. its possible this was just a bad hardware situation, that just didn't play out in my favor.

I think that they just got a batch of bad hardware.
    After they fixed mine i run 2 wht benchmarks at the same time one each in a ssh session.
    That is how i do a test for multitasking.
    In my third ssh window i monitored it in top.
    Also, using webmin i monitored logs as well.
    Test finished just fine without any sign of overheating.
    Well i got a score of 120 in multitasking mode vs. 175 in single tasking mode.
    That is a nice score.
    My P4 3Gz HT 1Gig RAM SATA scores 144 only, so you can see that P4 D 2.6 beats my P4 3Gz HT
    with a margin of 30, not bad at all.

bob
    Last edited by bwrob; 12-29-2006 at 06:20 PM.

Well, I think I spoke prematurely.
    Today i started get warning for overheating again.
    So, one more chance to fix it properly or i will cancel
    my account.
    Too bad, but i cannot be sitting an a server that
    might die any minute.

bob

Yep, again problems when server reach load 10 (eg, run 2 or 3 wht unixebches at the same time).

Too bad!

What do you think, can this 2 CPU's be underclocked to 2.3 or 2.2 GHZ thru bios? Would this solve a problem with overheating?

Respect,
    jailbird2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast