Steadfast - Opinions wanted

Hi,
    I have almost decided to get a dedicated server from Steadfast and I would like some opinions.
    I'm gonna get the Sempron 3000+ plan with 2TB traffic,it's out of stock currently so I'm waiting...

How are their speeds?Do they place any cap on download/upload speed?
    Do you have any experience with them?Write it here plz

thanks!

And also what do you think of their "Silver Management"?It would be very useful for me as I don't have time to install security patches etc.So from what they say,they will be doing that kind of basic management.

After jumping from provider to provider, the one solid provider I can always depend on is Steadfast. After 2-3 years of service, I have recieved no problems and they always act in a professional manner. Response times are quite fast and their level of support is top noch.
    :|

Rej3ct thanks for the feedback.To tell the truth,I'm a bit dissapointed because of the "out of stock" situation.But I think it's a very good deal,so I'll just keep waiting...

We keep our help desk and one of our monitoring systems on the SteadFast network. They are top notch. Karl and the staff there are very fast at responding to tickets and very reliable. The network is outstanding as well. I think there has been one hiccup with the network that I can think of, and it was for all of three minutes. From my understanding, it wasn't an entire network issue either, but one of the carriers that affected only routes inbound on that link. Thus, it was completely out of their control.

We have servers with various DCs in the U.S. and I would say SoftLayer and SteadFast are the best we have worked with.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

steadfast is a great company and it will be well worth the wait. I agree with futurehosting in that steadfast and softlayer are the best to deal with.

I have been there for about 1.5 years and could not be happier. Rock solid network and dealing with support has been a breeze

Quote Originally Posted by piter81
    I'm gonna get the Sempron 3000+ plan with 2TB traffic,it's out of stock currently so I'm waiting...
    I didn't see they offer 2TB traffic. Where did you find this plan?
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Ooopss my mistake,I meant 1,2TB.

I currently have a server at Steadfast and it's great. The premium network is excellent, probably one of the best networks I've ever used (European performance is amazing). Also, Karl, Kevin, Ray, and the rest of the support staff are always friendly and helpful. You can't really go wrong with them .

Alex

adb22791 thanks for the feedback!It's nice to hear that they have good connections to Europe,cause I'll have lots of European users.

More feedback from other people too would be great!

thanks

Great company....you can not go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by piter81
    adb22791 thanks for the feedback!It's nice to hear that they have good connections to Europe,cause I'll have lots of European users.

More feedback from other people too would be great!

thanks
    Yes, they use both Telia & PCCW which have excellent routes across the globe. They are soon adding GBLX as well, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Yes, they use both Telia & PCCW which have excellent routes across the globe. They are soon adding GBLX as well, IIRC.
    As a note, we're likely backing up the addition of Global Crossing because of some other network changes we're planning, upgrading some core gear to make our internal setup simpler and easier to expand in the future, but we are still hoping to have Global Crossing live early next year.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Just bought back-up offsite space from them. Very fast service

Steadfast is cream of the crop. The best of the best. I have a couple of servers there and it hasnt gone down since early this year. 100% uptime and fantastic network!!
    EYE97 - The No Compromise Music Station
    Hits of the 70's, 80's, 90's and Today!
    www.eye97.com

Congratulations to Karl and Steadfast... the posts speak for themselves.

In a world where people are quick to post the negative and slow to post the positive, you have a thread where it's 100% positive.

Keep it up gentlemen!
    Host, YES!
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

Well i hope someday to do business with Steadfast, I have hear some great things about them. I just dont have a big budget to buy their servers. I need to deal with companies that can do under $50 per MB for colocation services. $90 per MB is just to much for me =(

my 2 cents

the best of my providers - excellent network - support is tops

I started with a similar plan to what you have. I needed more bandwidth than the 1.2tb that they offered so I asked their support and I quickly got a custom package that was 2tb over their value network line for the same price as the 1.2tb over their premium line.

I've only been on their value network line and what can I say besides it's definitely quick enough for me. I live in California and as you know their servers are setup in Chicago... I can't imagine my speed to my site going any faster.

I'll tell you one thing about Steadfast's support and that is it's great! I'm a total moron when it comes to servers, I'll say that right now. I'm a professional web designer and for this server, which is for a personal site, I like to just focus on web design, marketing, and content. I don't have time to worry about my server... as far as I'm concerned it should just be up! (At my professional job I sit next to the server guys and they usually tell me lots of server-things, caching, lime lite, and tons of things that just go *wooosh* right over my head!) This is where Steadfast came into play. I basically had to ask them how to set up my DNS, which they practically did all for me (I just had to go in and change my domain's name servers to point to it), and when I noticed my site's server load was running a bit too high (Cpanel was saying 5-6.0) Karl installed eAccelerator on it!

I was ready to pay Steadfast more when Karl was nice enough to simply tell me that all I needed was eAccelerator. He did it for me and now I haven't seen my server load surpass 2.0. If this is the silver plan, I can't imagine how good the gold plan is. They probably maintain your site for you haha

I've since out grown the 2tb value network plan and have went forward with the 20mbps dedicated line over the value network plan. They offered me a free 1gb memory upgrade but since I already had that they then gave me a 74gb 10k raptor drive upgrade for no cost!

I now do about 70-110gb of transfer a day (one day I surpassed 1 million page views though it's usually around 600-700k) and my Sempron server seems to be handling it just fine. As long as my site makes more money than the server cost I'll never leave Steadfast!

fusiongt,
    Very nice review! I'm glad to hear your business is growing...
    Last edited by VINAX; 12-14-2006 at 07:12 PM.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

fusiongt what site are you hosting that's using so much bandwidth?

Thanks everybody for the replies.
    I got my dedicated server from Steadfast and everything is great!
    The network is excelent and the support is very fast.
    I hope everything stays like they are now

Opinions are pointless, Steadfast is the best datacenter/network available in Chicago, Period.
    GameWarrior.net - Bringing Gaming To The Next Level
    GamingMonkeys.com - Come Play Fun Flash Games !

Yeah i'd say they're good too, however right now they are down.

Pinging steadfast.net [216.86.146.9] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.86.146.9:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

My server is down aswell, on the 208.100.*.* range.

Hopefully i'll get an update on whats happening.

My servers in the 208.100 range all down also.

Now there site is back up again, and my vent server ( 208.100.2.* ) however the extra 16 IPs on my dedicated server 208.100.30.* have been down for hours.

https://support.steadfast.net/index....ews&newsid=114

Here you guys go, an update on the outage, seems to be a core switch issue.

Me 2, been down and up off and on for the last hour or so.
    Start Your Own Telephone Answering Service!
    http://www.VirtualTAS.com

Downtime has exceeded more than 2 hours.

For you dedicated server customers who are loosing money because of this, time to read over their Service Level Agreement.

Dedicated Server and Colocation SLA

Steadfast Networks will provide a minimum 100% uninterrupted transit to the Internet (as measured on a monthly basis) as well as 100% uninterrupted electricity. Should transit to the Internet or electricity become unavailable for a cumulative period up to 5 minutes beyond the 100% minimum in any month of service, the client will receive a refund equivalent to 5% of the client's Recurring Monthly Fees for that month for every additional 5 minutes the network or power is unavailable.
    All refund calculations will be based on unavailability in 5 minute increments. The above agreement does not cover outages caused by equipment and/or events under the control of the client. This Service Level Agreement does not cover outages due to scheduled or emergency network and/or facility maintenance, which will be broadcast to all customers in advance via the web page at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and will not exceed 60 minutes per month.

Any and all refunds to the client will not exceed 100% of the client's Recurring Monthly Fees for the month in which the refund is paid. All refunds must be requested within 30 days of the incident.

Yay servers back up now.

Yes seems fine on my end now.

Karl has a great reputation among the WHT community. Once had a VPS with him when he first started. He refunded my money no questions asked because of a special php requirement he could not meet. I would lease a machine from him anyday, and probably will in the future. Good luck

They have been great to me, no problems that I noticed except for a small short stint of downtime recently.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Seems like their network is down now

They had 100% uptime for almost a year now but the last few days they have had a lot of problems with the network.

Edit: And now they are back up
    www.eye97.com

Quote Originally Posted by EYE97
    Seems like their network is down now

They had 100% uptime for almost a year now but the last few days they have had a lot of problems with the network.
    Thats weird I don't see anything down on my end, the other day I saw an outage. But right now my servers up and online.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Quote Originally Posted by TCP/IP Warrior
    .... you have a thread where it's 100% positive.
    Not any more. Lol.

they are pretty good , im getting mine soon from there.

I'll just post an update here, now that I'm back from my holiday vacation. As a note, I was on call and coordinating repair efforts while on vacation, etc.

There was an attack made against our core switches, directly against IP's on those switches, not against customers, etc. The attack was from tens of thousands of systems, from what we could tell, and was definitely a well planned attack, likely targeted directly at us, to cause downtime. Attempts were made to filter the attack, but with the wide array of sources, packet sizes, ports, etc. there was no simple way to filter the traffic, and a null-route would have likely resulted in a larger outage.

Here, the timing was just bad, since Senad has been brought on as our in-house network engineer, vast upgrades to network performance and security have been planned and are in the works, they had just not been implemented yet as we still work out specifics and fully test the new configurations. Had these measures been in place, the attack would have been much more difficult to carry out and would have been easier to diagnose. These changes are planned to be completed in the coming weeks, which should assist in overall network security, performance, and reliability.

In addition, we are in the process of implementing DDoS protection hardware. Currently, much of this hardware is in place, but we are awaiting a software update and proper testing before we activate the units. It just seems somewhat ironic that the first DDoS attack against our own equipment in over a year and a half is a ouple days after our new DDoS equipment arrived...

The DDoS equipment and the network changes should greatly decrease the chances and affects of such an attack in the future. We do apologize for the downtime, but we are definitely taking steps to assure that this does not happen again.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Karl,

Thanks for the update! Cant even recall when the server was down last. Its been a long long time. Great to see some new equipment in place coming soon.
    www.eye97.com