* HOWTO? Bind an IP address to a folder

Hi guys,

I've got a strange question to bring up and hoped you all might be able to chip in your views or experience on this:

Scenario:
    Multinational site hosted on a .com domain. Each of its country specific sites are then of the format domain.com/france, domain.com/germany, etc...
    All the content is served from the domain.com IP address but my target configuration would be to: buy ips within country specific ip blocks and apply them to the /country subfolders. Thereby having all content below these folders served from the country specific ip rather than the main .com ip.

I've had to discount the use of seperate hosting on cctld's which is a pity so I'm working to find a mid-way solution like the above. I also don't trust geo-locator type services to intervene in any fashion.

Anyone have a couple of cents to impart on this issue?
    We're running IIS i'm afraid :-(

Thx,
    spitfire

That wouldn't be so hard to do on a sub-domain like germany.yourdomain.com but I don't think it's possible to do a a per-folder basis.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Thanks vince,

I agree, using subdomains would be easy, I'm looking to be as un-invasive on the current configuration as possible hence the tricker scenario. anyone else have any suggestions? ( and before you all ask, I'm aware this is a ridiculous question :-) )

My only other suggestion if you do go the sub-domain route is to use a 301 Redirect in the old folder pointing to the sub-domain. That will tell Search Engines the site has permanently moved and in the case of google, pagerank should be passed on eventually (not that I know much about SEO so get a second opinion).
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince
    My only other suggestion if you do go the sub-domain route is to use a 301 Redirect in the old folder pointing to the sub-domain. That will tell Search Engines the site has permanently moved and in the case of google, pagerank should be passed on eventually (not that I know much about SEO so get a second opinion).
    Yes, that is the only method that works in this case. You can do 301 redirect via IIS >> Domainname >>Foldername, right click on it and click properties >> Redirection to a URL that should help you.

Hello,

An IP can be pointed to a domain as a whole and not to a specific folder in your domain. In your case you need to add the folders as subdomain so that the IPs can be pointed.

Thank you.

Regards,

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I'm with you on this topic, I don't see how this could possibly be done unless with subdomains. The reason i started asking myself this seemingly straightforward question is that this strategy came up in the following book (yes, search marketing gunk) page 298 – bottom of Search Engine Marketing, Inc.: Driving Search Traffic to Your Company's Web Site. ISBN: 0131852922 on Amazon. (I can't link yet...)

The author is however Mike Moran from IBM and usually knows his stuff so I'm somewhat surprised that he may be wrong.

Didn't mean to suggest that technique

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I'm with you on this topic, I don't see how this could possibly be done unless with subdomains. The reason i started asking myself this seemingly straightforward question is that this strategy came up in the following book (yes, search marketing gunk) page 298 bottom of Search Engine Marketing, Inc.: Driving Search Traffic to Your Company's Web Site. ISBN: 0131852922 on Amazon. (I can't link yet...)

The author is however Mike Moran from IBM and usually knows his stuff so I'm somewhat surprised that he may be wrong.
    Thanks for the kind words. In the book, we didn't mean to suggest that you could associate a folder with an IP address. We talked about the problem that some sites have of using folders for country pages (we do it at IBM), but we never meant to suggest that there was a way out. I think that you need to be hosted within country or use the country top level domain--no other choices at this time.

We did suggest that possibly in the future search engines might use page clues (such as putting the country name in the masthead or using a country identifier in a folder name) to do a better job of identifying country pages, but I don't know any that do that today.

We are always interested in new techniques, because we update our book in every printing, so whether we should clarify this to avoid throwing people off track or add a smart new technique, I'd love to get feedback on how to change this section for our next printing.

Thanks for starting this conversation.

Haha well I certainly didn't expect to see the author come and make a post .

If you haven't done this yet, here's a solution......

in cPanel, when you setup a subdomain, say greece.mydomain.com, it actually creates a subfolder in the webroot folder. Thus, accessing mydomain.com/greece, will serve you the same content and the subfolder.

This way, you could setup the IP's with the subdomains, and advertise those. If, someone still use the subfolder, he'll still get the same content. And then you could write a small piece of code in, say the index.php file, to see where he comes from (greece.mydomain.com / mydomain.com/greece), and add an extra note on the websit, for the user to use greece.mydomain.com instead.
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

Hello,

The only way to access the folder with an IP address is to create a subdomain and point that domain to that folder and give an IP address to the subdomain.

Thank you.

Regards,

that's what I said.....
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za