Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    483

    Question What should we go with ?

    We want to buy new server and thinking about if its better to get one strong machine :

    e.g. 2 x Dual Core + 15K SCSI RAID10 (speed + failure safe)

    or get 2 machines.

    1. 1 x dual core + SATA RAID10 (main machine)
    2. 1 x dual core + 2 x 10K SCSI non RAID (minor sites + backup machine if first one fails)

    First one will host our major sites and second one will host only minor sites and will be mainly for backup.

    One machine will be cheaper maybe a bit and easier for administration but less failure safe. What you recommend ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    448
    If you can go for RAID on both even if its just raid 1 on the backup machine. For webhosting Raid 1 is less of a performance problem as webhosting is generally read intensive with few writes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    138

    Quad Core w/SCSI RAID 10

    Quote Originally Posted by ckissi
    We want to buy new server and thinking about if its better to get one strong machine :

    e.g. 2 x Dual Core + 15K SCSI RAID10 (speed + failure safe)
    hmmm, not a bad option.

    RAID 1 + 0, hence you reap the performance benefits of striping with redundancy of mirroring. It is ideal for multi-user and server systems but is the most expensive in terms of hard drive cost.

    Quote Originally Posted by ckissi
    or get 2 machines.

    1. 1 x dual core + SATA RAID10 (main machine)
    2. 1 x dual core + 2 x 10K SCSI non RAID (minor sites + backup machine if first one fails)
    W/O the technical and business requirements in front of me, I would say ...

    A business perspective would ask if the 2nd small site would warrant the cost of a 2nd dedicated box? Are you really going to gain that much revenue and redundancy out of a 2nd box. I can't imagine the value of the redundancy paying off, and you'd have to do the math on the margin gain of having a 2nd box. My preliminary recommendation would be to go with your first option for a fast and redundant single box. You can always add more dedicated boxes if you truly need them. Start off smaller and plan for growth.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

  4. #4
    You should go with a UK host, UK's Pound Host, Very nice fast and great company

    Poundhost.com ftw

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    138

    Good Point on RAIDs

    Quote Originally Posted by doc_flabby
    If you can go for RAID on both even if its just raid 1 on the backup machine. For webhosting Raid 1 is less of a performance problem as webhosting is generally read intensive with few writes.
    Good point, DOC, the allure of RAID 10 seems good at first, but RAID 1 wouldn't be a bad option for your requirements. Unless, you have a really good reason for a 2nd box, I'd stick with my initial recommendation.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •