Unix or Windows Server, which is better?

Looks like most of the web scripts are working for unix servers, like phpld2. Then why there is windows server? Which one is better? And what's the advantages and disadvantages for each other? Most the time, windows server hosting is more expensive than unix server hosting.

Windows hosting is more expensive as it requires paying for a license for the operating system whereas Linux is free. Most of the scripts you see work for Linux because developing for Linux (since the software is free) does not have an out of pocket cost -- with Windows generally you need to purchase software just to write your scripts/code.

All in all, you are better off sticking to what you know best. If you don't know either, learn Linux as it will take you much further with less effort and cost.
    John Meacham
    Server Surgeon - Server Management Services
    See our reviews on Facebook
    Toll Free US 877-378-7436 International +1-213-291-9191

Thanks for you suggestions, will think about it before changing my server system.

It is a user specific question. Someone that is an ASP programmer would go with Windows as it is easier to run ASP there then with Unix. They both have plusses and minuses, but I prefer linux as there is more available because, as serversurgeon said, less out of pocket cost mean easier development and more open source.

More and more, you can run anything on either server, but I am fond of keeping scripts on the servers they were meant for. Leaves less room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by serversurgeon
    with Windows generally you need to purchase software just to write your scripts/code.
    I can write ASP in textpad just as easily as I can write PHP.

That aside, if you need ASP, windows is your best bet, otherwise your best of sticking with what you know. Each OS has its advantages and disadvantages.
    █ Windows and Exchange Server Experts, UK and US Dedicated Exchange Servers.
    MCSE Certified, Registered Microsoft Partner.
    █ Exchange 2010, Server 2008 and IIS 7 Services now available!
    www.windowsserv.com Email: mail@windowsserv.com

Quote Originally Posted by sam_cogan
    I can write ASP in textpad just as easily as I can write PHP.

That aside, if you need ASP, windows is your best bet, otherwise your best of sticking with what you know. Each OS has its advantages and disadvantages.
    Exactly!!! If you run only php/cgi applications, then better to go with a Linux server. If you use ASP/JSP applications, then Windows server is the only choice. There are some apache modules that help to run ASP applications on a linux server, but its generally not recommended being many of the ASP components wont work well with that.
    Senior Server Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hhheng
    Looks like most of the web scripts are working for unix servers, like phpld2. Then why there is windows server? Which one is better? And what's the advantages and disadvantages for each other? Most the time, windows server hosting is more expensive than unix server hosting.
    This question was already asked a billion times here (just do a search) and it always came down to the point that it depends on the requirements, experience and preferences.

Windows and Unix (no Unix in particular) are both equally good for hosting and the cost question is neither the big difference. Generally one can say that Windows offers a bigger range of languages but this does not necessarily mean to choose Windows in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by serversurgeon
    Windows hosting is more expensive as it requires paying for a license for the operating system whereas Linux is free. Most of the scripts you see work for Linux because developing for Linux (since the software is free) does not have an out of pocket cost -- with Windows generally you need to purchase software just to write your scripts/code.
    None of these points is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    If you run only php/cgi applications, then better to go with a Linux server.
    Unix isnt necessarily the better choice. Especially with PHP both are equally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    There are some apache modules that help to run ASP applications on a linux server, but its generally not recommended being many of the ASP components wont work well with that.
    True.
    Last edited by zoid; 11-28-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hhheng
    will think about it before changing my server system.
    To use a construction analogy, you can build a house with either. The outside finish might look identical, but the materials used might be quite different. Whether one or the other is stronger, faster, or better depends more on the person doing the building than the basic raw materials (Unix or Windows) themselves.

An inexperienced person can make a mess of either, equally well.

I have extensive experience with both Windows (my firm was a Microsoft Solution Partner as well) and Unix, and Unix is my preference by a wide margin, provided I do not need to design a solution for a client with very specific Windows application requirements. The client situation determines which gets used, not my preference.

However for my own business where I do get to decide, that's another matter, and for web application development and hosting, I deliberately choose not to support Windows.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

What most people who argue this type of a topic tend to ignore is the quality of hosting between the two operating systems.

If you are running your own server, and there is minimal to no load other than your own, then either choice will suit you fine (although in my opinion *nix is the obvious choice).

But if you have to pay for your web hosting, and you are in a shared hosting environment, it is rare to find a Windows host that does not pack as many users onto a single server as possible. If you compare a typical host that offers Linux and Windows hosting, i guarantee the Linux hosting is going to provide better uptime and faster page loads. On the off chance that you get a Windows host that seems to know what they're doing and care about their customer's sites, well then you are lucky.

I agree with the argument that you should choose the platform that makes the most sense for you in respect to the coding of your site, however i would sooner recode an entire ASP site in PHP than host any site on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by localhost127
    What most people who argue this type of a topic tend to ignore is the quality of hosting between the two operating systems.

If you are running your own server, and there is minimal to no load other than your own, then either choice will suit you fine (although in my opinion *nix is the obvious choice).

But if you have to pay for your web hosting, and you are in a shared hosting environment, it is rare to find a Windows host that does not pack as many users onto a single server as possible. If you compare a typical host that offers Linux and Windows hosting, i guarantee the Linux hosting is going to provide better uptime and faster page loads. On the off chance that you get a Windows host that seems to know what they're doing and care about their customer's sites, well then you are lucky.

I agree with the argument that you should choose the platform that makes the most sense for you in respect to the coding of your site, however i would sooner recode an entire ASP site in PHP than host any site on Windows.
    Would you also please provide several examples to back the statement that the typical Windows provider is always overselling?

Of course there will be always some, but then its the same with every other platforms. There are providers overselling on BSD, Solaris and Linux just as well.

As I already said it basically comes down to the requirements, experience and preferences.

Unix isnt the better choice than Windows and Windows isnt the better choice than Unix. I hope this thread wont turn once again in a 20 pages topic with biased replies towards a particular system stating untrue "facts".

Quote Originally Posted by zoid
    Unix isnt the better choice than Windows and Windows isnt the better choice than Unix. I hope this thread wont turn once again in a 20 pages topic with biased replies towards a particular system stating untrue "facts".
    I am not denying the existence of *nix overselling, however in my experience hosts typically have oversold Windows hosting packages more than *nix based ones. The amount of users that you can fit on a *nix box as opposed to a Windows box is simply higher. If you look at different web hosting companies, you will see that many of them charge more for Windows hosting due to this reason. Those who don't would be more likely to oversell.

I also would not like to go back and forth arguing about this, however in my opinion and experience, this is how i have always seen

Obviously everyone has their own opinions, and no matter how long we argue we will never reach a consensus. I do agree that the right hosting platform depends heavily on preference and programming languages, however i would still recommend *nix over Windows any day.

Thank for your suggestions and comments, I'm going to run 1 site which was aspx programmed under Windows server, and another php script site under Unix server.

why ask? i will surely go with LINUX! it's more stable, more secure and more reliable than WINDOWS.
    SOLID HOSTING
    Philippine Web Hosting Company
    Domain Registration | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Cloud | Dedicated Server | Colocation | Microsoft SPLA

If you are running aspx *and* php, then you can get by on windows, because it does both.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

the best one is whatever runs your killer app.