Anyone know anything about DishNetwork, DVRs, DVD recorders, etc. ???

OK, short background... I just took the plunge into the HD world and got a Samsung HP-S5053 50" Plasma and DishNetwork (Bronze package) with a VP211 HD receiver. I wanted a DVD player that upconverts so I got a cheap $89 LG DVD/VCR combo (which upconverts and looks great), but I think I can still return it.

In thinking about it more, I felt I made a mistake as I have nothing to record any of the HD content (nor non-HD content). So as far as I can tell, I can easily call and get Dish's ViP622 DVR unit ($199 plus $6-ish per month), but I also re-thought things and feel that I don't need a VCR (at all) and would instead like a DVD recorder (guess I was stuck in the 90's when I bought the combo unit). I mention this as I don't think just a DVR (Dish's or Tivo, etc.) would cut it (I think I'd like the ability to transfer recorded content to DVD).

My main question is... do I need to upgrade to the ViP622 DVR unit ($199 and pay $6-ish per month), or do I really only need a DVD recorder with a HDD and it will pretty much be the same thing? Or would having the ViP622 DVR unit make needing a DVD recorder with hard drive pointless, and I could just get by with a plain ol' upconverting DVD recorder if I got the ViP622 DVR unit? Having two units that record onto hard drives seems redundant.

Also, if all I need is a DVD recorder (with or without a hard drive depending on the answer to the question above), is there one that is reasonably priced that also upconverts? Maybe they all do it, but it seems some DVD players upconvert, some don't and I assume the same is true for DVD recorders. I like the PQ of this $89 LG DVD player.

Lastly, I'm not sure if any or all of this could be handled by a computer. My sister's husband has a Linksys unit (not sure of the model, but it was around $200-$300) and it records and pauses TV so maybe that's another route I could go. I don't have a great DVD recorder on the computer but for $50-$100 I could get a better DL DVD recorder.

The DVD recorders (stereo component type, not talking about the computer ones) with hard drives are more than I wanted to spend, but if I don't have to pay the $199 plus $6/mo. then it's justified (still might be, just will hurt more, heh). I started out thinking I'd just return the DVD/VCR combo unit and get a DVD recorder, but have since read that it's better to the DVD recorder with hard drive.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated. Before this week I was a regular DVD, OTA local channels regular reception with bunny ear, on a heavy 32" TV watchin' guy. There's a pretty steep learning curve, whoooooo.

Note: I posted this on an av specific forum and at HHO but due to "the computer question" I thought I'd post it here to see if you all have any thoughts.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I would recommend the dvr for more then one reason as it allows you to watch tv on your time. It will also record stuff that it thinks you like and so fourth season pass and such. So to me I would get a dvr and an hd recorder and each would compliment the other.

There is a DVR/HD box on DishNetwork.com, and if you sign a 18 month agreement, it is free =)
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wifiguru
    There is a DVR/HD box on DishNetwork.com, and if you sign a 18 month agreement, it is free =)
    Good luck!
    As far as I can tell, it's $200, unless you mean with the $200 back offer which I get but I see that as coming off the monthly fee (I already get that with the non-DVR HD receiver I have now).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken