* My head is spinning... ARGH!

Am I the only one who's head hurts after spending hours trying to find decent, affordable hosting... and not getting any further ahead?

My requirements:
    - able to register .COM and .CA domains
    - offer a refined, clean, reliable webmail interface
    - offer some form of decent SPAM control... This has been the breaker for many hosts.
    - supports ASP and MSSQL as well as MySQL
    - the ability to download the database to my local PC, modify & update the database, and upload it back to the hosts server. Documentation on HOW to do this would be nice.
    - host multiple websites using subdomains
    - reasonable monthly cost when purchasing one year at a time.

I want to deal with a single company when it comes to my domain registration and my domain hosting.

Currently my two domains are at two different registrars and hosting is elsewhere (Dreamhost). Right now, one domain appears to be in limbo as there is no "registration authority" on it, so I can't make changes at manage.opensrs.net (Tucows).

...so, where can I find a decent host?
    Last edited by SNorton; 12-13-2006 at 09:44 AM.

I don't know where you've looked yet....but....have you checked the Offers section here? You may also try posting your specs above in the Requests section.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

As you want MSSQL and ASP, you can eliminate Linux/Unix hosts and look at only Windows Hosts.
    This will narrow your search and help you a lot in reducing the head spinning wildly.

You can register (I guess you want to just use) .com and .ca at almost everywhere.
    So, you can forget about this criteria, I think.

I have never used windows hosts, so I don't know about other criterias.

If it were Linux/Unix host, the requirement about DB is very easy, most of the time.
    Web mail is relatively easy, too.
    SPAM control is another matter, though.

Pick up a few windows host and ask them.
    Learning from their feed back and other info, ask them (and/or other hosts), again, and again, and again,
    till you know what you want.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    You can register (I guess you want to just use) .com and .ca at almost everywhere.
    So, you can forget about this criteria, I think.
    Actually, I'm surprised by the number of hosts that DON'T handle .CA domains.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Web mail is relatively easy, too.
    Most hosts offer webmail, but many are pretty ugly. Dreamhosts, for example... It does work, but I'd not be proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SNorton

Most hosts offer webmail, but many are pretty ugly. Dreamhosts, for example... It does work, but I'd not be proud of it.
    As an owner I will say that you have a very unique, though not out-of-line, combination of requirements. For us, we do not provide MSSQL, which is the only windows-specific technology you have listed. You will find that there are many hosts that offer 90% of what you are looking for, though you should focus on windows-only hosts.

Best Regards

Really? All hosts I used had no problem with .ca domains.
    If you say so, ask that question first, and you should be able to eliminate many candidates.

I don't remember the webmail of DreamHost.
    I use my own minimal web mail interface.
    And I don't use e-mail a lot.

Also you can install any webmail you like and custormize as much as you want.
    I think you can find many tutorial on the net.
    Probably you can find someone to do that for you at reasonable fee, as well.

If you are picky about ready made webmail of the host, ask for the demo,
    and again it will help you to narrow down.

Hi

Try Jodohost.com. I've been with them for more than a year and can heartily recommend them (we use both Windows and Linux hosting). The webmail's no great shakes, though (spam's one of my main grouses too).

Afterthought: They are also in the business of selling domains, but .ca doesn't seem to figure in the list.

The reason so many do not offer .ca registration, is that it is a hassle. You have to verify that you are registering it for a canadian customer, and you have a few other hoops to run through. We resell through enom and have the ability to offer it, but we don't advertise it, and only do it by request.

I would say that 90% of all hosts that offer domain registration have the ability, but just don't advertise it.

MSSQL and MYSQL

I think you will find it particularly challenging to find a host that supports both MSSQL and MYSQL in one hosting package. Web Hosts typically will offer Linux and Windows shared hosting. Linux with MySQL and Windows with MSSQL.

Probably the only way around this would be to get a dedicated windows server that you have the ability to customize and install both. Anyone else have any other suggestions?
    Hostway: The Hosting Company
    Web Hosting | Hosted Exchange

cway, there are alot of hosts offering MySQL + MSSQL on the same windows shared plan

Ehosting.ca

I stand corrected, I was able to find a few. Ehosting.ca being one.

They'll obviously have .ca support as well
    Hostway: The Hosting Company
    Web Hosting | Hosted Exchange

I know if you can find a host using Plesk you will have the "Potential" to obtain both MySQL and MSSQL.

Depending on what mailserver they are running will change what Webmail they have available.

In a quick search of the offers forum and google I found quite a few.

No matter who you look at for a host I would recommend sending in a ticket or talking to them via Livechat/Phone to verify they can do everything you want them to.

Ask them if you can see a test account of there webmail also or at least some screenshots (if they don't have a test account ability they could probably at least provide screenshots from the vendors website).

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    cway, there are alot of hosts offering MySQL + MSSQL on the same windows shared plan
    I actually just realized that Netfirms offers this (saw it when I just logged in!). It's something they're really pushing right now - you (the OP) may want to check into them.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I would recommend kamyana.com for fast support. I receive replies within 2 hours most of the time and they help moving sites for free.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    I actually just realized that Netfirms offers this (saw it when I just logged in!). It's something they're really pushing right now - you (the OP) may want to check into them.
    Netfirms would be perfect... IF they would register .CA domains.

Quote Originally Posted by syed
    I would recommend kamyana.com for fast support. I receive replies within 2 hours most of the time and they help moving sites for free.
    Their web page is kind of bare. Not much info at all. Limits seem kind of low as well.

Their web page is kind of bare. Not much info at all. Limits seem kind of low as well.
    Netfirms? There limits are actually high.
    Last edited by KNL-BSW; 12-15-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Netfirms would be perfect... IF they would register .CA domains.
    From what I am aware they register .ca's fine -- if you've run into any problems with it giving them a quick call should resolve it.

Note: Their turnaround time on support tends to be around 24 hours but it's still usable!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

They even have a site for canadians.
    http://www.netfirms.ca/

.... Maybe US site offer better price, with the current exchange rate.

Just as a note, and personal preference, I prefer registering domains seperate from hosting, it is a wise choice in the long term.

Just do some reading here on WHT for some reasons in that

As far as .ca domain registration goes, I can think of a dozen, however they charge $50+/year
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    Agreed - pretty much any host offering hsphere or plesk can support this

As far as .ca domain registration goes, I can think of a dozen, however they charge $50+/year
    That is rather high. You can pick up .ca domains anywhere from $15-$25 CAD/year.

I do agree with others comments here however, CIRA is a pain to deal with, but, it is just 1 extra step in the registration. Their entire purpose is to ensure that .ca's are reserved for Canadians and Canadian businesses only (unlike .us which anyone can buy). So, although a little annoying, it is nice that it is protected for Canadian companies to have a greater opportunity of securing their company name as an internet presence.

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry
    Netfirms? There limits are actually high.

Quote Originally Posted by syed
    No... Kamyana.com. I went to www.kamyana.com and there wasn't much there. You do get a lot more information if you click one of their Order links. Didn't find that until earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    From what I am aware they register .ca's fine -- if you've run into any problems with it giving them a quick call should resolve it.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

No... Kamyana.com. I went to www.kamyana.com and there wasn't much there. You do get a lot more information if you click one of their Order links. Didn't find that until earlier today.
    What I will never understand is a hosting company, one that charges for services, that puts adsense on the bottom of there website.....

All that does is allow other hosts to advertise on your site and pull clients away.