* Help me Find Server Admin for Non-Control Panel Server!

Hi everyone

I need your help in finding a reliable server management company for a non-control panel server.

At the moment I am hosted with a reputable dedicated server company, however they only offer support with Cpanel servers, and their bandwidth limits are too low. What I will be doing in the next week or so is purchasing an unmetered server without any control panel. I do not need/want a control panel because I will only be hosting my personal websites, of which there are about 5 in total.

My requirements:

- Must be able to manage a non-control panel server
    - Quick response times to support tickets
    - Able to secure a server (my websites are fairly straight forward and run PHP/MySQL)
    - Be able to configure DNS and email serving (again, just personal email accounts)
    - Keep the server up to date
    - Optimize the server

I do not sell hosting or anything like that, so once my websites are setup there will be very little maintenance required.

I tried finding a company like this maybe 8 months ago, and in fact started accounts with two different admin companies. However I requested refunds after about 1 week each when it become obvious they didn't have a clue how to run a non-control panel server.

Thanks for any help!

hello BLazeD,

I am surprised to hear that.

What did a search on WHT for "seek admin" or "server management" bring up ?
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Take a look at platinumservermanagement, but I also recommend you get a control panel such as webmin for your server,so you can check the server whenever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by fitesun
    I also recommend you get a control panel such as webmin for your server,so you can check the server whenever you want.
    That makes absolutely no sense.

SeeksAdmin has done config for me. I also had no CP and they did great job.

So my recommendation would be to contact them and see from there

Cheers,
    Aleks

Quote Originally Posted by SmilieBG
    SeeksAdmin has done config for me. I also had no CP and they did great job.

So my recommendation would be to contact them and see from there

Cheers,
    Aleks
    Hi there, so they just did the initial config? Are they giving you ongoing support? Any issues at all?

Quote Originally Posted by fitesun
    Take a look at platinumservermanagement, but I also recommend you get a control panel such as webmin for your server,so you can check the server whenever you want.
    You recommend them left and right, and I almost think you don't even know what they really offer. Their management REQUIRES you to have atleast a control panel. (Atleast that's what I gather from their website) as it doesn't say they support control panel-less servers.

If it's not on there, don't assume that means they do support it.

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine
    You recommend them left and right, and I almost think you don't even know what they really offer. Their management REQUIRES you to have atleast a control panel. (Atleast that's what I gather from their website) as it doesn't say they support control panel-less servers.

If it's not on there, don't assume that means they do support it.
    Haha, yes. I will look through the reviews for seeksadmin on here.

Do you need a server admin for only 5 web sites?

You'll probably be better off getting a control panel and using it yourself. They are usually very easy to manage and you'll spend a lot less money on a control panel than you will on a server admin.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    Do you need a server admin for only 5 web sites?

You'll probably be better off getting a control panel and using it yourself. They are usually very easy to manage and you'll spend a lot less money on a control panel than you will on a server admin.
    Hi there, yeah I looked at it from that point, but TBH I am sick of all the baggage and un needed stuff that comes with a CP. I just want to server to be minimal and optimized for performace. Plus I will need someone to do kernel updates and all that security stuff anyway. Finally, if I do go with Seeks $25/month is the same as a CP anyway

Well just for your info....

Interworx is a good panel that has OS Updates and Panel Updates, it also has a panel for APF (Advanced Policy Firewall) for security and is a leightweight panel so it uses a lot less resources than CPanel and Plesk.

DirectAdmin is probably the lowest on resources of the big CP's but I don't think you can manage the firewall or update the server from it.

If you do hire a server admin, try to learn from it, it's always better to be able to do it yourself. Then you don't have to rely on someone when a problem occurs.

We use voidsecurity for most jobs, I think he can manage that..just search forum for him Highly recommended!

www.wattproxy.info

Hi,

I can't tell you anything about admin companies, but my experience says that sometimes it's better have one or two reliable sysadmins taking PROACTIVE care of your server than a big company contract.

I think that admin companies have a REACTIVE response with their clients' servers and everybody knows that it's better avoid a problem with prevention rules, than try to solve it.

In the other hand, we know that the payment will be little expensive, but like all in this life, you can choose what you want.

Onle one thing more, all i wrote here was my personal opinion so please, if any employee or CEO of any "admin company" read this, please don't angry with me lol.

Once again, excuse me for my english!! lol

Interworx is a good panel that has OS Updates and Panel Updates
    I just got a hosting account on a box with Interworx and it really is quite cool. Give it a shot - it's not like the others.

Why not just throw on DA? I am not sure of many companies that do no control panel server management. If you by any chance would consider moving to softlayer, they have good prices and can do admin work for 3$ per incident / task. I just learned this today o_O

If all you're doing is hosting a few sites you could hire a consultant to set it up. For security I'd go with OpenBSD, doesn't get much better than that.
    Linux/BSD Systems Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BLazeD
    Haha, yes. I will look through the reviews for seeksadmin on here.
    Should turn up a lot of very satisfied clients. For the one negative one I believe there is, read it to the end (short read.)

Quote Originally Posted by BLazeD
    Finally, if I do go with Seeks $25/month is the same as a CP anyway
    Interesting... Very nice concept though... CP + More.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Im not sure if im comftarble being used as an object (control panel)
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

I'm still considering any other suggestions for mgmt companies that people might have.

Thanks!